Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:28 pm   #46
Maol 
Just Joined

Maol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Work in Australia

Hi Jack,

I am getting ready to apply, in the near future, to the 189 skilled independent visa. I am not an English native speaker so, at the moment, I am focusing on preparing to reach 7 in writing, as I am struggling in this part. All the other parts I scored 7 plus in a previous test, which is the minimum required to have my qualification assessed.
I worked as a Social Worker for 7 years until 2012. I will probably apply for employment assessment as well, considering that I might get points for proficient English. I know you didn't do this part in your process but do you know if the AASW would consider the entire period of experience I have or only from the past 10 years, according to DIBP criteria?

Thank you so much in advance for your attention and good luck with the results of your visa application. Hope you will be granted before Christmas
Maol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th 2017, 6:57 pm   #47
Forum Regular

Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maol View Post
Hi Jack,

I am getting ready to apply, in the near future, to the 189 skilled independent visa. I am not an English native speaker so, at the moment, I am focusing on preparing to reach 7 in writing, as I am struggling in this part. All the other parts I scored 7 plus in a previous test, which is the minimum required to have my qualification assessed.
I worked as a Social Worker for 7 years until 2012. I will probably apply for employment assessment as well, considering that I might get points for proficient English. I know you didn't do this part in your process but do you know if the AASW would consider the entire period of experience I have or only from the past 10 years, according to DIBP criteria?

Thank you so much in advance for your attention and good luck with the results of your visa application. Hope you will be granted before Christmas
Hi Maol.

My understanding is that the AASW will only count any experience as a social worker as skilled experience. So if you have 7 years experience after you got your social work qualification (that the AASW recognises) that should count. If you have unqualified experience in the sector (such as a social work assistant or care manager) then that wouldn't count.

Hope this helps.
Jacko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th 2017, 7:43 pm   #48
Maol 
Just Joined

Maol is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jack,

Yes, I have post qualification experience as a Social Worker so I'm glad to hear I have a chance to claim points for that.
Thank you very much for helping me to clarify this and also for your quick response.

All the best.
Maol is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia