Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So you wanna know about containers......20ft or 40ft ??

So you wanna know about containers......20ft or 40ft ??

Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default So you wanna know about containers......20ft or 40ft ??

Hi gang

We just had my worldly belongings taken away yesterday and I thought I'd let you know how it went.

We used Britannia Beckwith...........going from Sussex to Wollongong, NSW...........20ft container cost was £4,175 (ouch).

Anyway.......I have a large 4 bed house and was really concerned if we needed a 40ft container.....some people who quoted said "yep 40ft you need mate".

Anyway, considered it and thought bugger, I'll see what I can get in a 20ft one, what is left can be binned, sold or we have to pay extra....

So, on tenterhooks, the packing started Monday with 2 guys wrapping everything in sight............even my mums knitting (who was over to help and oversee things) got wrapped up in the sofa.........next time she sees it will be in Australia when she visits......

We had already packed a lot ourselves (DVDs, CDs, toys, books, etc) so that helped.......the packing continued on Tuesday and we ended up with circa 232 individual boxes or packages......crapping ourselves now if it will all fit in this 20ft container, which was arriving at 1.30pm.

(list removed because too personal)

So, at the end of the wrapping session we are all thinking there is NO FxxxxING WAY ON EARTH this lot will fit in. The Britannia boys are saying "it's going to be tight but we reckon we'll do it"............

1.30pm comes and the smallest container I have ever seen draws up and the man reverses up the drive.........

The loading commences in earnest............I give the guy in the container a step ladder so he can pack to the roof..........which they always do anyway but at least he ain't got to stand on the boxes.

So.............about 2 hours later, we sit down and guess what?

THEY PACKED THE LOT..........EVERYTHING WENT IN.....BLOODY MIRACLE

All I can say is, if you need a 40ft container you must have either a heck of a lot of stuff or you are happy for a container to ship "air".

Believe me, we have a lot of stuff and it all went in a 20ft container (1165 cubic feet)..........you'd have struggled to get a couple of After Eight mints and a Jacobs cracker in the little space there was as the doors swung shut to hold it all in.

The guys from Britannia were really good.....could not fault them. I just hope it all arrives with nothing too valuable broken.

These guys did a great job.........hope the Aussie end holds up similarly.

Cheers

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 10th 2006 at 10:12 am. Reason: edited at OPs request - too much personal info!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So you wanna know about containers......20ft or 40ft ??

thanks, that is very useful to know.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:22 pm
Blonde with a Brain !!

Rachee will become famous soon enoughRachee will become famous soon enough

will you have to pay anything extra , like import duty when you get to oz, or is the four thousand ish all in now ??

We will need a 40 ft, we have your list plus a car too !!!!

Good luck xx
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:25 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We wont even need a 20ft container,

How does this container share work out, does the shipping firm help you find someone to share or do you just ask around?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachee
will you have to pay anything extra , like import duty when you get to oz, or is the four thousand ish all in now ??

We will need a 40 ft, we have your list plus a car too !!!!

Good luck xx
Is it a special car?
Not too sure on import duty...........don't think so 'cos all our stuff is old.

Maybe some issues if they have to "treat" and woodwork stuff.......

Anyone else know what is involved to clear customs in Oz ?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond reputeMick-12 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thats amazing. :scared:
Really great post thankyou. Hope it all arrives safely!

Georgina
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy cow!
Thanks for the GREAT post.

We are taking a double bed, a sofa, a dining table, several boxes of books, some toys...one box of kitchen stuff and that's it.

Maybe I could fit it all in my suitcase at this rate?

LOL!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:47 pm

electricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really nice

Originally Posted by iPom
Holy cow!
Thanks for the GREAT post.

We are taking a double bed, a sofa, a dining table, several boxes of books, some toys...one box of kitchen stuff and that's it.

Maybe I could fit it all in my suitcase at this rate?

LOL!
Thanks
WOW
Thats a brilliiant thread!!! really reasuring, going to save it to my favourites so when OH starts wanting to de-clutter again I can show him your list
Thanks for taking the time to write the list
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:00 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: So you wanna know about containers......20ft or 40ft ??

Originally Posted by electricbaby
Thanks
WOW
Thats a brilliiant thread!!! really reasuring, going to save it to my favourites so when OH starts wanting to de-clutter again I can show him your list
I agree.......good post!

You sure they never put some of it the van around the corner. I guess you will find out when its all unpacked eh ! ! !

Less chance of anything falling and breaking to if its packed to its maximum.

R.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:16 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by electricbaby
Thanks
WOW

Fantastic Idea, will do the same, I think all men are like it!!

Constantly de-cluttering drives me bloody mental!! Me and the kids are always saying "Wheres XYZ" (no smart comments like at the end of the alphabet please!! ) and he says "Oh I threw it away last week didnt think you wanted it anymore!!"
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

fab post oli, thanks so much, definately a 20ft for us then!!

noticed youd put in conservatory furniture, was it anr, wicker, banan leaf etc?? dont know whether to sell mine or not due to possible fumigation costs!

well done and good luck
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:52 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post. Really useful info. BTW - 3 hoovers????
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:58 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks... good info..
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Wot a great post, we had a survey done here in the "sunny" isle of man, we have a bed frame one single bed some duvets, clothes few toys etc, nothing compared to your list and the cheeky git tried to parm us off with a 40ft!!

The problem being we don't have the joy of the container rolling up to the house to be packed like you lucky guys, so we've given up the idea of being ripped off, so we are selling up and bringing our suitcases! Thanks again for sharing all of your day, just an added note, are you intending on doing much skiing
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Wot a great post, we had a survey done here in the "sunny" isle of man, we have a bed frame one single bed some duvets, clothes few toys etc, nothing compared to your list and the cheeky git tried to parm us off with a 40ft!!

The problem being we don't have the joy of the container rolling up to the house to be packed like you lucky guys, so we've given up the idea of being ripped off, so we are selling up and bringing our suitcases! Thanks again for sharing all of your day, just an added note, are you intending on doing much skiing

Australia gets more snow than the whole of Europe. I intend to do lots of skiing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.