Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So many times I have been asked..

So many times I have been asked..

Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:32 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So many times I have been asked..

Originally Posted by hevs
Hmmm, we didn't think so. Our beloved pet (who my friend found in a grundon bin in a sealed cardbord box aged 4 weeks) was 15. She had never been in kennels in her life and i thought that the flight and susequent kenneling would kill her that simple.

She moved in with my foster brother and i shed the only goodbye tears leaving her.

Bloody old duffer is still going strong (deaf as a post)and will be 17 in September
I can understand what you are saying if your dog is old. My collie x will be 8 years old by the time we leave and my black lab x springer spaniel (! yes exactly, explains a lot!) is just 6.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:43 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

We are all packed and ready to go mum........
Attached Thumbnails So many times I have been asked..-dogs1.jpg  
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:48 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
"Why on earth are you spending all that money to take the dogs with you?"

Because:

No matter what mood you are in at the end of a hard day, they are always pleased to see you.

They bark when someone comes to the front door and wag their tails when someone comes to the back door.

If we go out into the woods and our son wanders off and gets lost, Hollie will go and find him and stay with him until he finds us again.

Meg will always put herself between me and a stranger even though she is terrified of them.

When Terry is away, one dog will lay by the back door and one will lay by the front door. Not told to!

Hollie is the most obedient dog ever, obeying a command before you have finished speaking.

Meg is the most stupid, soft, dopey creature filled with huge amounts of love.

Meg will tolerate being moulded into shape for a pillow by our son when he lays on the floor.

Because:

They are laying by my feet as I type.

Meg bounces around like an inane idiot at the mere mention of the word "biscuit".

I can leave both the side gate and the front gate open and they will not wander off.

They growl when a stranger comes in the house when I am on my own, but just take a back seat when Terry is home with me.

They have been Alex's company as his brothers and sister have left home.

Meg will always lay her head on your lap when you are feeling sad, just to let you know she is there.

Because:

Who else will understand that Hollie is not being grumpy but her arthritis is playing up and she is in pain?

Who else will forgive Meg when she eats the new bra you have just bought?

Who else will get up in the night and give them a cuddle because they are frightened of the thunderstorm?

Because:

Who else could possibly love them as much as we do?

AAAHHHHH Bless gone all goose bumpy reading that

Kris
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mad Moggies R Us is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kris maynard
AAAHHHHH Bless gone all goose bumpy reading that

Kris
Hi All Pet Lovers

I completly agree with bridiej and logan, I have had my eldest cat for 16 yrs, she had a heart scan a few weeks ago, but it didn't show any major concerns, if over the next year on having regular health checks I will obviously take the advice of my vet about taking her, MONEY DOES NOT come into the final decision, we have another 2 cats whom again i love to absolute bits ( and i know they love me ),hubby often left sitting on his lonesome whilst me and the girlies take over the setee or the bed ( cats rule us owners ) of that I know cat slaves will agree.
I also hate the thought of saying goodbye for a few weeks to them, and when I think about it,it gets me churned up .We have catmint growing outside our frontdoor and to watch the cats chillin out whilst lying in it is histerical, whilst waiting for the result of our Visa, i often thought about lying down in it myself
Does any-one have any names of really good company's who make cat outdoor enclosed pens, with climbing frames etc?

Sarah,Yazz,Frishtine and mad Enya
Sarah and the mad moggs
Old Jul 25th 2005, 4:36 pm

And another thing......
because, who else would we blame the smell on?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hevs
Hmmm, we didn't think so. Our beloved pet (who my friend found in a grundon bin in a sealed cardbord box aged 4 weeks) was 15. She had never been in kennels in her life and i thought that the flight and susequent kenneling would kill her that simple.

She moved in with my foster brother and i shed the only goodbye tears leaving her.

Bloody old duffer is still going strong (deaf as a post)and will be 17 in September
We're in exactly the same situation so I can sympathise completely. We have 2 elderly cats (15 and 16) both of which have travelled before and had major trauma even on very short flights. When I think about the 24 hours of flying followed by 6 months of quarantine (US import rules) I believe that taking them would likely be fatal for them and I can't see myself putting them through such pain.

This is definitely going to be one of the hardest things about moving. We told our kids this weekend that we were going to me moving to Australia in the next 6 months or so and pretty much the first thing they asked (ages 8 and 3) was whether we had to leave the cats behind. Both broke into tears just at the thought that we would have to leave them behind! I'm sure that both myself and my wife will also be in tears when we have to leave them as we've had them since they were kittens.

Obviously this is a very personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves and what they feel will be best for their own pets. If our cats were younger and could put up with this type of move we would likely have taken them as well as the price was never a consideration.

Cheers,
Brian
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:49 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

And another thing......
because, who else would we blame the smell on?
I've heard thats dogs in Aus can talk, have two tails, and don't just fetch your paper but pay the local shop for it too.
All you need to do is train them to crap next door like cats do
We want a collie when we get there
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
If people ask "are you taking the cat" I just reply "would you leave your kids behind?"

As far as I'm concerned our cat is our "child" and that's how much we love her. i believe pets are for life and since our cat is healthy and doesnt mind travelling we re takin gher. end of.
I know exactly what you mean. We are taking our 12 year old diabetic cat with us. He's been through the absolute wars in life, you name it, he's had it. Everyone thinks we're absolutely mad, including our vet. But we put him through his M.O.T last week and the vet said that he should be fine to travel, once he's had his teeth sorted! I'm not so much bothered about the flight, because he just sleeps a lot anyway, but I'm terrified about him making it through quarantine. I am going to write a war and peace list of instructions to Sydney quarantine to make sure they don't overdose / underdose him. We've only seen him go into a diabetic coma once, and its horrendous. I tried all sorts of ideas to get him rehomed, but nobody wants a diabetic indoor cat, and to be honest I didn't really want him to go elsewhere. And besides - he is definitely part of the family.

The cat shippers have been kind enough to let us bring him down on the day of travel (rather than the night before), so this should reduce his stress levels a bit. I just pray he makes it through quarantine.

Netta
X
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Anne4Terry]"Why on earth are you spending all that money to take the dogs with you?"

Because: When I look into his big bulging eyes ( he is a Lhasa Apso, not a Goldfish) I know I could not leave him at home and besides if we did my wife said see would not come. Hmmmm now thats got me thinking.

Only joking I would not go to OZ without either of them, I just wish the Dog was as cheap to fly out as the Wife.

John
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=jond]

Only joking I would not go to OZ without either of them, I just wish the Dog was as cheap to fly out as the Wife.

John
Know what you mean :scared: And I'm taking 2 of them!!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:41 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Anne4Terry]
Originally Posted by jond
Still its only sweetnuts money
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:44 pm

[QUOTE=Perthforme]
Still its only sweetnuts money
Sweetnuts is impressed at how his reputation is growing They'll all be jealous of me soon and most of them won't know why
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Anne4Terry]
Originally Posted by jond
What, Wives or Dogs?

John
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:46 pm

[QUOTE=jond]

What, Wives or Dogs?

John
2 dogs and one Sweetnut!! Or that might be a bit painful to leave one behind. Sorry you had to be at the South Coast meet to understand
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brian0
We're in exactly the same situation so I can sympathise completely. We have 2 elderly cats (15 and 16) both of which have travelled before and had major trauma even on very short flights. When I think about the 24 hours of flying followed by 6 months of quarantine (US import rules) I believe that taking them would likely be fatal for them and I can't see myself putting them through such pain.

This is definitely going to be one of the hardest things about moving. We told our kids this weekend that we were going to me moving to Australia in the next 6 months or so and pretty much the first thing they asked (ages 8 and 3) was whether we had to leave the cats behind. Both broke into tears just at the thought that we would have to leave them behind! I'm sure that both myself and my wife will also be in tears when we have to leave them as we've had them since they were kittens.

Obviously this is a very personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves and what they feel will be best for their own pets. If our cats were younger and could put up with this type of move we would likely have taken them as well as the price was never a consideration.

Cheers,
Brian
Hi Brian,

This is my concern as well. We have two cats, one 5 (Jd), who is completely mad and runs around all day long, and our other one is 15 (Tiger) and is not a well little lad. I've had him since he was 7 weeks old from CAT and has only ever been in a cattery once, when he peed himself everyday and refused to eat. This was about 8 years ago and ever since we have got friends to house sit when we go away. The thought of a 29 hour flight followed by 30 days in quarrantine is the decision that we are facing......Are we more selfish taking him or leaving him here??? One of our friends has said she will take him, but she has another cat already (female luckily). We still haven't made a final decision and have spoken to the vet a few times, so will take his advice.

This is harder than telling the family!! Also what will Jd do without Tiger...how will Jd cope with being an inside cat??

Hope everyone makes the right decision for themselves and their situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.