Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So many times I have been asked..

So many times I have been asked..

Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:11 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default So many times I have been asked..

"Why on earth are you spending all that money to take the dogs with you?"

Because:

No matter what mood you are in at the end of a hard day, they are always pleased to see you.

They bark when someone comes to the front door and wag their tails when someone comes to the back door.

If we go out into the woods and our son wanders off and gets lost, Hollie will go and find him and stay with him until he finds us again.

Meg will always put herself between me and a stranger even though she is terrified of them.

When Terry is away, one dog will lay by the back door and one will lay by the front door. Not told to!

Hollie is the most obedient dog ever, obeying a command before you have finished speaking.

Meg is the most stupid, soft, dopey creature filled with huge amounts of love.

Meg will tolerate being moulded into shape for a pillow by our son when he lays on the floor.

Because:

They are laying by my feet as I type.

Meg bounces around like an inane idiot at the mere mention of the word "biscuit".

I can leave both the side gate and the front gate open and they will not wander off.

They growl when a stranger comes in the house when I am on my own, but just take a back seat when Terry is home with me.

They have been Alex's company as his brothers and sister have left home.

Meg will always lay her head on your lap when you are feeling sad, just to let you know she is there.

Because:

Who else will understand that Hollie is not being grumpy but her arthritis is playing up and she is in pain?

Who else will forgive Meg when she eats the new bra you have just bought?

Who else will get up in the night and give them a cuddle because they are frightened of the thunderstorm?

Because:

Who else could possibly love them as much as we do?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: So many times I have been asked..

wish our dog was still alive to take with us, cherish yours, I would have made exactly the same decision as you
Tara
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:23 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry

Because:

No matter what mood you are in at the end of a hard day, they are always pleased to see you.

They bark when someone comes to the front door and wag their tails when someone comes to the back door.

If we go out into the woods and our son wanders off and gets lost, Hollie will go and find him and stay with him until he finds us again.

Meg will always put herself between me and a stranger even though she is terrified of them.

When Terry is away, one dog will lay by the back door and one will lay by the front door. Not told to!

Hollie is the most obedient dog ever, obeying a command before you have finished speaking.

Meg will tolerate being moulded into shape for a pillow by our son when he lays on the floor.

Because:

Meg bounces around like an inane idiot at the mere mention of the word "biscuit".

I can leave both the side gate and the front gate open and they will not wander off.

They growl when a stranger comes in the house when I am on my own, but just take a back seat when Terry is home with me.

Meg will always lay her head on your lap when you are feeling sad, just to let you know she is there.

Because:

Who else will understand that Hollie is not being grumpy but her arthritis is playing up and she is in pain?

Who else will get up in the night and give them a cuddle because they are frightened of the thunderstorm?

Because:

Aahhh bless.....it sounds like you couldn't possibly leave them behind no matter what the cost. Are you having a better day today?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:24 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

If people ask "are you taking the cat" I just reply "would you leave your kids behind?"

As far as I'm concerned our cat is our "child" and that's how much we love her. i believe pets are for life and since our cat is healthy and doesnt mind travelling we re takin gher. end of.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Our dog is as much a part of the family as the kids. We're a unit!

We wouldn't leave the kids behind so why would we leave the dog?

The only thing that would possibly prevent us taking him with us would be if we thought he couldn't handle the flight/conditions/heat. The financial aspects of taking him do not even come into the equation.

Cheers

BD
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Smile Re: So many times I have been asked..

Because:

Because:

Because:

Because:

Hi

Thanks for that - your dogs sound great - wish mine was!!

She dug up and ate all the new plants that I lovingly planted the other weekend.
She takes my shoes off the verandah, digs a big hole and leaves them semi buried for me to find when I`m in a rush and late for work.
She runs in all muddy when my husband lets her in at 6am and jumps all over the clean quilt!
But she is cute and she loves me and whilst I made the mistake of not bringing my dog to Australia with me (he got a great, loving home with sister in law) - I will DEFINATELY take my naughty Aussie Collie X Kelpie back to England if ever we decided to go back (not currently in our plans).

Thanks for your email - it made me smile!

All the best on your move - enjoy your new life in Oz.
If you are on your way anywhere near Brisbane (Sunshine Coast) perhaps we can walk the dogs somewhere nice?

Sarah
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
Hi

Thanks for that - your dogs sound great - wish mine was!!

She dug up and ate all the new plants that I lovingly planted the other weekend.
She takes my shoes off the verandah, digs a big hole and leaves them semi buried for me to find when I`m in a rush and late for work.
She runs in all muddy when my husband lets her in at 6am and jumps all over the clean quilt!
But she is cute and she loves me and whilst I made the mistake of not bringing my dog to Australia with me (he got a great, loving home with sister in law) - I will DEFINATELY take my naughty Aussie Collie X Kelpie back to England if ever we decided to go back (not currently in our plans).

Thanks for your email - it made me smile!

All the best on your move - enjoy your new life in Oz.
If you are on your way anywhere near Brisbane (Sunshine Coast) perhaps we can walk the dogs somewhere nice?

Sarah
I don't think my legs let alone the dogs could possibly walk us to Brisbane, we are heading for Perth
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

No way Jose am I paying anything to take our cat.

I'd sooner have a dog and I would pay for that to come. Our cat spends
99.999% of its time outside elsewhere and only comes to us when he is hungry. He's actually gone "lost" for weeks but always turns up.

I'd sooner leave him here (as he must have another foster family caring for him too we reckon) and buy a nice dog in Oz.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Because:

Because:

Because:

Because:

Fabulous.

EXACTLY the reason we brought ours.

I'd never knock anyone for their decision, whatever that may be. But this sums up EXACTLY why we love our moth eaten pooch.....and no doubt exactly why she loves her clampit family

Well done Anne

Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Because:<snip>

The South Koreans?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:00 am

I'm ignoring deadmeat, I've just thought of some more.

Because:

They didn't ask to come to us and to thrown into a land of confusion.

They will get over being uncomfortable for 24 hours on a plane just like we do.

We wouldn't farm our son out to someone else just because his plane ticket was too expensive.

Because:

How many other members of your family pee themselves with excitement when you return from holiday?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:03 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I
They will get over being uncomfortable for 24 hours on a plane just like we do.
?
Hmmm, we didn't think so. Our beloved pet (who my friend found in a grundon bin in a sealed cardbord box aged 4 weeks) was 15. She had never been in kennels in her life and i thought that the flight and susequent kenneling would kill her that simple.

She moved in with my foster brother and i shed the only goodbye tears leaving her.

Bloody old duffer is still going strong (deaf as a post)and will be 17 in September
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Good reasons Anne.

OK well in 1996 we left our Springer spaniel here with people who love spaniels because we couldn't imagine he would be happy in Singapore heat- I was very sad
We aquirred a cat a couple of yrs before we found out we were returning home and he was such a character. He "talked" to us, (loved the indoor life, too many snakes around to let him out,) but hubby couldn't justify to the company paying for him to be sent to uk, and as we live on a main road we couldn't risk him being killed a week after paying over $1000 to send him back here
So If I can possibly do it I am going to take this gorgeous dog who is laying at my feet, another springer spaniel, with us. He does love open spaces to run around in, a beach in winter, park in summer will do. My concern is that we won't find a rented place that would accept pets:-( No doubt I'll being posting a question on suitable dog walking parks nearer the time
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:34 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by hevs
Bloody old duffer is still going strong (deaf as a post)and will be 17 in September
Who hevs

Your foster brother or the dog

Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

That was a lovely thread. I adore my 3 cats, even though sometimes they drive me to distraction!
Like at 8.30am every morning (unless Mr Logan's on an early shift at work) Milo scratches the door to remind us we're supposed to be getting his breakfast.
Like Logan hiding under the clothes horse, pretending to stalk....anything then getting wrapped up in my socks/bra (you could get lost in that for a week!)/new top/Mr Logan's boxers and attacking that very unpredictable vicious trouser leg.
Like Mischief gobbling her food like it's going out of fashion at breakfast, casually sashaying off the tiles onto the carpet...and then throwing up. Generally just as I'm making my first cuppa in the morning and logging onto Expats.

Like the fact that because they're cats, they only come to you and show you affection because they want to, it makes you feel special....and you're also the one that can reach the contents of their food cupboard!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.