Snobs

Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:48 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, and so he should be proud. It's just that in NZ there's no distinction of class 'background' to come from (not 'labelled on the can' anyway).

Increasingly in parts of Auck, Wgtn, and Chch, it is important to some what school you went to - but there are no working class/middle class labels as there are in the UK

It's a small but interesting difference in the societies.... and something some coming from the UK may find odd....

Originally posted by nicholls clan
In the same respect a "working class" footballer done good will always be proud of where he comes from and will always help those from his back ground who want to get on.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jandjuk
yes, where there's money there will always be snobbery....

but deedee I see a difference in NZ vs the Uk.

In NZ everybody starts from more or less the same place, and anybody can join the flash car 'club' if they have enough money....

Whereas in the UK this is true to an extent, but the differences in your background are harder to shift. ie, you can be a top footballer with an flash car, live in the right place, have the right friends etc, but you'll always be 'working class'. The labels are worn like a badge - you don't get that so much in NZ. Some of it goes unspoken for sure - but it plays a much bigger part in British society.

Like which newspaper you read - that type of thing....
I have experienced far more snobbery in Christchurch than I ever did in England. Where you live can instantly define you just as it does in the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:45 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by muppetking
I have experienced far more snobbery in Christchurch than I ever did in England. Where you live can instantly define you just as it does in the UK.
What have Kiwi's got to be snobby about??

TennisOz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:49 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
Yes yes yes, but my point is that snobbery in the UK is more tied to your class - in NZ it is tied to other factors.

I dunno, I know what I mean, but having difficulty explaining it....
Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:39 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by jandjuk
Yes yes yes, but my point is that snobbery in the UK is more tied to your class - in NZ it is tied to other factors.

I dunno, I know what I mean, but having difficulty explaining it....
I was only stirring of course I entirely agree with you that class in Oz and NZ is defined by different things than it is in the UK. For example in the UK a lot of people are impressed by a double barrelled name (for some reason) eg Sir Peregrine Rivington-Foreskin (I just made that one up folks ).

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Poula is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok All you people

Lets have a little test to see how snobby or not we are.

What are people like in different areas (places you have never been to) in your opinion.

eg. Liverpool - All yobs and layabouts
Oxford - All posh snobby people
Glasgow - All pi**heads

No offence is intended to anybody from these areas this is just a snob test on ourselves
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Poula is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok All you people

What are people like in different areas (places you have never been to) in your opinion.

Glasgow - All pi**heads

No offence is intended to anybody from these areas this is just a snob test on ourselves

:lecture:
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Poula
Ok All you people

Glasgow - All pi**heads

:lecture:
Ummm.....well I've been to all the above places and I don't agree with any of these stereotypes - you get a variety of people in all places and I pity anybody who passes/fails (delete as appropriate) your test.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Poula
Ok All you people

Glasgow - All pi**heads

You can't have an opinion on an area you've never been to,well I can't.I've travelled most of this country working and found the most snobby were Surrey(around Purley/Whiteleaf)I lived there for about 3 weeks and could take no more(it may have been my scouse accent ).followed by Shrewsbury.most down to earth Scots and Geordies.South Welsh(Billy)
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:28 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default regional differences, UK

Hi I think there is 'something' in these different regions.
Traditionally the English hate the French. In the SOuth we think the north wear clogs, live in terraced houses and eat black puddin' and tripe.
Northerners are brash, like th eaussies if you ask me.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:32 pm
WBB

Originally posted by chris hogan
You can't have an opinion on an area you've never been to,well I can't.I've travelled most of this country working and found the most snobby were Surrey(around Purley/Whiteleaf)I lived there for about 3 weeks and could take no more(it may have been my scouse accent ).followed by Shrewsbury.most down to earth Scots and Geordies.South Welsh(Billy)

i would agree with that analysis.

i would also say the irish are a very welcoming people.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:36 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

And rhe welsh are known as the Tafia. Sorry couldn't resist.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:36 pm
WBB

Originally posted by mumomonty
And rhe welsh are known as the Tafia. Sorry couldn't resist.
you are correct, dont cross the tafia.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i would agree with that analysis.

i would also say the irish are a very welcoming people.
There is not many Irishmen that would thank a William,so I will make a special point of this one cheers Welshboybilly
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:48 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by chris hogan
There is not many Irishmen that would thank a William,so I will make a special point of this one cheers Welshboybilly
Except the majority in Ulster - 'hello, hello, we are the billy boys they sing' but that's another sad story.

TennisOz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.