Snobs

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Donk is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the word 'snob' is being used in the wrong context. The definition is

Snob

Snob n. 1. A vulgar person who affects to be better, richer, or more fashionable, than he really is; a vulgar upstart; one who apes his superiors. Thackeray.

My next door neighbour shops at Tesco, yet brings shopping home in Sainsburys bags. to me thats a snob.

Last edited by Donk; Oct 23rd 2003 at 10:37 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I'm definetly on the same wave length as Bundy and Badgers about most things! And proud of it
I'm in total agreement about your posts!

The class system: There isn't really one in Oz, and luckily there isn't really one here. That's I guess a one of the few big differences between UK and Holland.

Bundy:
"But in my view, all cities are basically the same and it's not until you head out into the country and find the small towns that you really find what Australia is all about...it's the same in any country."

Could have been my words!! (I always say to people who are going to Oz for a holliday: Don't just go to Sydney/Brisbane! Or just don't go to Sydney at all! Why does Sydney seem so cumpulsory to (nearly) everybody. I really don't get that!)

I love small towns, but we are moving to Perth first, mainly for work reasons, but I guess also to try something different, a big busy city. I think I might like it for a while, but after a while we'll move. We'll just have to see.
My boyfriend should be able to get a job in Graphic Design in a large town in the country, but I don't think it'll be smart to start of that way. We think it's best to first get work experience in the city. What do you guys think?
I'll be able to get a job anywhere, cos I don't really care what I do, and my 'degree'? is very broad.
Actually, I think if we really hate the city, my bfriend would be willing to change careers, and keep his creative stuff as a hobby.
And maybe once we've got more connections in the country he could start designing websites and stuff.
Oh, so much to think about!! (or maybe not, we'll just see what happens!)

Oh dear, long post again!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:40 am
Badge

Originally posted by Donk

Snob

Snob n. 1. A vulgar person who affects to be better, richer, or more fashionable, than he really is; a vulgar upstart; one who apes his superiors. Thackeray.

My next door neighbour shops at Tesco, yet brings shopping home in Sainsburys bags. to me thats a snob.
is this the "reverse-snobbery" that people talk about ;-)

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:42 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by Simone82
Yes, I am interested! I do type with all fingers, but I would like to be better!
Is there a program you know for Mac?

Oh, and about typos: I think there's a BIG difference in making typos and using TXT language.
Typo's are mistakes, and they happen, to some more often than others.
TXT is just laziness or on purpose.
Simone

I'll have a search later to see what I can find but in the meantime try Google and enter things like Typing Tutor, Keyboarding, Touch Typing, Speed and Accuracy Test etc and then do a search within results for Mac. I'm sure you'll find something. Another thought is to look for freeware and shareware programs in the likes of download.com

I totally agree with you about the TXT. You would be appalled to see some of the things pupils put in their homework, exam answers etc. I'm sure they know no better but we do our best to try and get them to use correct English. I noticed recent press reports from English 'A' level examiners who report that pupils use the language of the 'reality' TV programs as well as TXT in their answers eg 'so Macbeth (or some other Shakesperian character) is like all mouth and no trousers'!!

Agreed on typos which incidentally can also be very amusing and I collect them. I think I've posted a few notable ones elsewhere but this type of thing - the girl was pinned to the trees by two great loins (lions); Drake said 'the Spanish can wait, my bowels (bowls) can't etc.

Typos occur less to touch typists because they are looking at their post as it appears on the screen rather than 'hunting and pecking' at the keyboard!

I'll get back to you later if I can turn up any suitable Mac programs. In our school we use a program called 'Mavis Beacon teaches typing' which is quite good but at a guess I don't think it will be available free and whether it is in a Mac version is another thing.

TennisOz (during my 'free period' not cyberslacking and no time to proof read my post!!!)

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:45 am
tennisoz

My next door neighbour shops at Sainsbury's and brings it home in a Tesco bag. That's reverse snobbery!!

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:48 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, I'm definetly on the same wave length as Bundy and Badgers about most things! And proud of it
I'm in total agreement about your posts!

The class system: There isn't really one in Oz, and luckily there isn't really one here. That's I guess a one of the few big differences between UK and Holland.

Bundy:
"But in my view, all cities are basically the same and it's not until you head out into the country and find the small towns that you really find what Australia is all about...it's the same in any country."

Could have been my words!! (I always say to people who are going to Oz for a holliday: Don't just go to Sydney/Brisbane! Or just don't go to Sydney at all! Why does Sydney seem so cumpulsory to (nearly) everybody. I really don't get that!)

I love small towns, but we are moving to Perth first, mainly for work reasons, but I guess also to try something different, a big busy city. I think I might like it for a while, but after a while we'll move. We'll just have to see.
My boyfriend should be able to get a job in Graphic Design in a large town in the country, but I don't think it'll be smart to start of that way. We think it's best to first get work experience in the city. What do you guys think?
I'll be able to get a job anywhere, cos I don't really care what I do, and my 'degree'? is very broad.
Actually, I think if we really hate the city, my bfriend would be willing to change careers, and keep his creative stuff as a hobby.
And maybe once we've got more connections in the country he could start designing websites and stuff.
Oh, so much to think about!! (or maybe not, we'll just see what happens!)

Oh dear, long post again!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:59 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Snob

OMG Donk are you serious?!
:scared:

That's totally laughable. What does it matter anyway? Both are as bad as each other IMO and a supermarket is a supermarket, no?

I can't wait to get away from the concrete jungle full of Tescos and Sainsburys stocked full of rubbish. Give me a freshly caught fish and some nice home grown veggies any day.

I for one agree wholeheartedly with Badger's view and despite our thus far limited experience of Oz, we are hoping to live at least semi-rural and have a much simpler life, for want of a better word.

We've done the upwardly mobile bit and had the nice house and nice car and lots of gadgets. All great fun. Now it's time to be real people and take care of our health, our sanity and each other. Hopefully we'll be on the edge of a small town with basic amenities, if we can find local work.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:08 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
.... would be Sun reading types who happenened to choose Straya over Spain cos they spoke english there! Trying to export the UK to Straya. Or the ones that whine about lack of "culture" or theatres or shopping. The ones that don't "get" australia.
*kerching* we have a winner!!

Originally posted by dotty
What happened to all the people wanting 5 beddy houses with pool and 4WD.
Im with bundy, who ever said having a 5 bedroom house, pool & 4WD made you a snob? Simply having the big house with a pool etc means nothing, a snob is an attitude, not material things.

I agree with Donna's sentiments (although not her conclusion ), there are lots of places that I wouldnt want to live. There are also people that I wouldnt want to live next to, but NOT because of what they have or dont have, earn or dont earn, drive or dont drive. More likely I wouldnt want to live next to someone who has an attitude that stinks - whether it be the person on welfare who thinks that the world owes them a living, beats his wife daily & whos kids suffer from neglect & abuse, or the yuppy who thinks that they are better than me because they wear better clothes, shop at the right shops & *look* better than I do.

I dont think that makes me a snob - but hey if Im wrong, then I'll live with it .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 23rd 2003 at 11:10 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:11 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
Simone

I'll have a search later to see what I can find but in the meantime try Google and enter things like Typing Tutor, Keyboarding, Touch Typing, Speed and Accuracy Test etc and then do a search within results for Mac. I'm sure you'll find something. Another thought is to look for freeware and shareware programs in the likes of download.com
Oh, thanks for the tips! (first thought you knew some. You don't have to go looking for me! I'll do that, or let my boyfriend to it!)

I am slacking of, I'm at work, better go do something again.
(I'm so addicted to this site, it's not funny )
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:18 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by bundy

But in my view, all cities are basically the same and it's not until you head out into the country and find the small towns that you really find what Australia is all about...it's the same in any country.
Don't agree that all cities are basically the same. That's on a par with saying all small towns are the same and 'the bush' is the same and in my limited experience I have found all Australians are .... In short you can't generalise. There are differences. Sydney and Melbourne are very different just as London and Glasgow are etc.

You are simply saying that in your opinion you would prefer to not live in a big city but in a small town or in the bush.

Only stirring!!

A complete divergence, I was watching Tasting Australia last night (181 Travel Channel 6.00 pm) and it was in Melbourne. No less an authority than Rick Stein said that UK cuisine and chef's are about 3 years behind those in Oz.

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:18 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
cant stand snobs...especially the ones right at the top of your nose that you cant quite reach.

nice long fingernail should do it.........
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:20 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
There are also people that I wouldnt want to live next to, but NOT because of what they have or dont have, earn or dont earn, drive or dont drive. More likely I wouldnt want to live next to someone who has an attitude that stinks - whether it be the person on welfare who thinks that the world owes them a living, beats his wife daily & whos kids suffer from neglect & abuse, or the yuppy who thinks that they are better than me because they wear better clothes, shop at the right shops & *look* better than I do.

I dont think that makes me a snob - but hey if Im wrong, then I'll live with it .

Mrs. Dagboy,

your explanation was better than mine, but we obviously have similar thoughts.

And for those people who think that they want the 'good life' in the bush. Let me tell you I dream about that also but the reality is much more difficult to obtain and they have concrete jungles here too, large uninspiring housing estates and high rised blocks of flats.

If anyone has thought there has been any kind of snobbery on this forum which hemisphere was it coming from?
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:21 am
tennisoz

Oh, thanks for the tips! (first thought you knew some. You don't have to go looking for me! I'll do that, or let my boyfriend to it!)

I am slacking of, I'm at work, better go do something again.
(I'm so addicted to this site, it's not funny )
Simone

No worries!! Yes, it is addictive. Has anyone else noticed how BP brought up the 1,000 about 2 weeks ago and is well on the way to 2,000

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:21 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
Don't agree that all cities are basically the same. That's on a par with saying all small towns are the same and 'the bush' is the same and in my limited experience I have found all Australians are .... In short you can't generalise. There are differences. Sydney and Melbourne are very different just as London and Glasgow are etc.

You are simply saying that in your opinion you would prefer to not live in a big city but in a small town or in the bush.

Only stirring!!

A complete divergence, I was watching Tasting Australia last night (181 Travel Channel 6.00 pm) and it was in Melbourne. No less an authority than Rick Stein said that UK cuisine and chef's are about 3 years behind those in Oz.

TennisOz
Stir away...I can see your point and there's some truth in it. But I still think that you can learn more about a country once you leave the anonymity of the city behind. Just personal experience...but then you're right, I'm not a city girl in any way so the bush feels like home...
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:01 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by bundy
Stir away...I can see your point and there's some truth in it. But I still think that you can learn more about a country once you leave the anonymity of the city behind. Just personal experience...but then you're right, I'm not a city girl in any way so the bush feels like home...
I suppose the point is that Australia is a big country and yet it is highly urbanised with the majority of the people living on the coast in the cities. You will get to know 'the Australian PEOPLE' more in the city (over 90% of them reside there). However you will get to know the Australian COUNTRYSIDE 'in the bush' (it's almost 100% of the land area).

I am not suggesting that the minority who live outside the city aren't different, friendlier or whatever, just that they are the minority (they probably are friendlier and certainly different - I lived in Bendigo for 5 years, Melbourne for 25 years so I have some idea). I'm not sure what I'm really saying now I come to think of it!!

TennisOz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.