Snobs

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

LOL...HP...do not worry..you havent upset me at all!!..

You make a good point about inverted snobbery too Goodpubmisser. The big city v smalltown rivalry and bitterness is another example. Its all to do with smokescreens and insecurities.

I come from London, one of the biggest of them all. It has been mentioned on this board a few times about the anti southerner crap in UK. Those that see fit to categorise and judge from the town someone comes from are just as stupid in my book. Yes, i come from daaarn sarrrfff, but i come from a council house and worked my way up!! I am not ashamed of it either, in fact i am proud i got off my arse and improved my life from humble beginnings.

Poor is poor no matter where you live, and by the same token, a snob is a snob no matter where they live!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
I think some probably come across as snobs/ a bit up themselves ....... Sometimes it's the younger posters? .......
Oh really?

I'm sure it's nothing personal.....

Or is it..............?

It's not is it........?

Right that's it! I'm off! Now where's my dummy?
Attached Thumbnails Snobs-baby.gif  
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad
Oh really?

I'm sure it's nothing personal.....

Or is it..............?

It's not is it........?

Right that's it! I'm off! Now where's my dummy?
Sorry young_lad
wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular...
Larissa
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:09 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Whilst not wanting to agree/disagree with you PP, I find that on any internet forum, it's easy for comments to be misconstrued. We are brief with our comments in order to get straight to the point but that can sometimes be our downfall - by not being explicit enough, the wrong message is taken. I've learnt not to make any assumptions about people on forums - I can't fairly judge anyone based on a couple of brief sentences.
Yeah, I think the other important point to make which affects how people come across in any forum is that not everyone can 'touch type' and therefore a lot of people get pi%%ed off trying to type a lot
. They resort to the text message type communication and brief response as a result.

Please, this is not meant to sound snobby but I am a teacher of Business Studies subjects and I teach people to touch type. It seems incredible to me that people who use keyboards a lot don't take the bother to learn how to touch type to speed up and improve their communication. There are plenty of net based typing tutor programs (free) for anyone interested.

LOL U R ALL COOL ETC

I bet everyone will be looking through my postings for 'typos' now

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I'm now even more convinced I'm going to fit in (again) in Oz.
One of the first things I noticed when we came back to Holland was all the neat houses, expensive new cars, new clothes and groups of friends who all listen to the same music.
{QUOTE}

I'm puzzled now, most here are heading for the burbs of a major city, which is just as described above bar the music!! The suburbs are full of Australians who covet a new car, euro dishwasher, private school uniform, sure theres plenty of rough and ready bits of OZ, but most here are always asking how to AVOID them.

What happened to all the people wanting 5 beddy houses with pool and 4WD. Ironic or what When did the big swing to crappy area, no dosh and povvy neighbours happen
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tennisoz
Yeah, I think the other important point to make which affects how people come across in any forum is that not everyone can 'touch type' and therefore a lot of people get pi%%ed off trying to type a lot
. They resort to the text message type communication and brief response as a result.

Please, this is not meant to sound snobby but I am a teacher of Business Studies subjects and I teach people to touch type. It seems incredible to me that people who use keyboards a lot don't take the bother to learn how to touch type to speed up and improve their communication. There are plenty of net based typing tutor programs (free) for anyone interested.

LOL U R ALL COOL ETC

TennisOz
A grammar snob now
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:15 am
WBB

cant stand snobs...especially the ones right at the top of your nose that you cant quite reach.

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:25 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by bondipom
A grammar snob now
Not my intention 'as I was sat here'

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
I'm now even more convinced I'm going to fit in (again) in Oz.
One of the first things I noticed when we came back to Holland was all the neat houses, expensive new cars, new clothes and groups of friends who all listen to the same music.
{QUOTE}

I'm puzzled now, most here are heading for the burbs of a major city, which is just as described above bar the music!! The suburbs are full of Australians who covet a new car, euro dishwasher, private school uniform, sure theres plenty of rough and ready bits of OZ, but most here are always asking how to AVOID them.

What happened to all the people wanting 5 beddy houses with pool and 4WD. Ironic or what When did the big swing to crappy area, no dosh and povvy neighbours happen
Just to explain:
First of all, I'm not 'all the people'!

And I didn't say I don't like a nice neat house, a nice car, but I do think it's not as important as some other people think.
And the thing is, here everybody(well, not everybody) has these as a status symbol, to look good for the neighbours etc.

Yes, I am heading for the burbs of a major city, but as soon as possible (when we have Aussie work experience) we'd like to move to a more country area.
And I'm hoping Perth isn't as 'bad' as Sydney and Melbourne. And maybe we'll chose a less posh burb on purpose!

I am definetly not gonna avoid the rough bits of Oz.

I don't want 5 bedrooms (are you mad!) I'd like 3. One for us, one for all our mess and junk and washing and one as guest room for relatives visiting.
I would like a nice big kitchen, cos I've got so much kitchen stuff, and love cooking.
And a pool might be nice, but is definetly not compulsury, cos you have to clean it too, and we probably wouldn't use it that often. Maybe later when we have kids.
But I'd rather have a chook run and a place for a rabbit!
But chooks have to have enough space, so maybe not possible in the city.
I don't want/need a 4WD. I want a sort of station thingy, so that if we go away for a weekend, we can camp out in the back, like the backpackers do. Less hassle than setting up a tent!

Anyway, hope you're not confused about me anymore!
I don't really like being seen as 'all the people' :P
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:45 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am a snob. I do not think I am better than anyone in particular. I do not buy things to impress others. But there are areas I would not wish to live and their are people I would not wish to live nearby.

From the competition in Perth on who can build the biggest house on their plot I think snobbery is alive and well here of course they could just be doing this to keep the builders and architects in employment...bless.

However I wouldn't want to live next door to their huge monstrosities either.

I must be very hard to please
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
There are plenty of net based typing tutor programs (free) for anyone interested.

TennisOz
Yes, I am interested! I do type with all fingers, but I would like to be better!
Is there a program you know for Mac?

Oh, and about typos: I think there's a BIG difference in making typos and using TXT language.
Typo's are mistakes, and they happen, to some more often than others.
TXT is just laziness or on purpose.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:00 am
Badge

Nice topic!!

I'm kind of with bundy on this and dotty. The reality is that 90 pc of expats on this forum are suburbanites swapping out a biggish house in the UK - most have gardens and more than a few bedrooms - which most first time buyers never will have! with a bigger one in aussie.

I was actually quite against being a "brit expat forumer" to start with because I thought most would be Sun reading types who happenened to choose Straya over Spain cos they spoke english there! Trying to export the UK to Straya. Or the ones that whine about lack of "culture" or theatres or shopping. The ones that don't "get" australia. I think that whilst perhaps some are, most people here are great. (Maybe I'm a snob now!)

I spent quite alot of my time in Straya avoiding the typical Brit crowd it has to be said. ;-) And not just the backpackers. When I came home to the UK and went to my local pub I got a shock at how unfriendly people were - even people I "knew". I was so shocked I was miserable for weeks.

I got criticism a few months ago by trying to explain the aussie culture in places and was shot down in flames. Out there there is still a country with great people who are to all extents and purposes unsnobby and without class distinctions.

Dotty is right there is snobbery everywhere.

But the minority like Bundy and myself have seen the other side of Straya and loved it. We both felt so at home in the more rural areas.

I still think there is less class in Strya. My best mate has a beautiful home and is considered to be a well off business owner but he is the archetypal straya ocker who everyone loves . He is the most charasmatic bloke I have ever met, and is generous - not a snob by any distance. I would still maintain outside the most affluent areas - Straya is very much less class orientated than the UK.

Dotty loves to tell us about QLD coastal area and the snobbery there - but that is QLD coastal resorts and they are not the real Australia. I personally would never move anyway near there.

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 23rd 2003 at 10:04 am.

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Simone82
Yes, I am interested! I do type with all fingers, but I would like to be better!
Is there a program you know for Mac?

Oh, and about typos: I think there's a BIG difference in making typos and using TXT language.
Typo's are mistakes, and they happen, to some more often than others.
TXT is just laziness or on purpose.

Same here Simone!..but i need to get rid of this sticking keyboard first...i get so fed up going back to fill in missed letters that i just leave it a lot of the time. Not worth buying a new one as i am getting a laptop when the house sale goes through.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snobs

Oh My God!!!!!!
I must definitely be a snob!! All the signs and symptoms!!
I am young, Professional, and I want a Covertible someday in Perth!
Only Joking...these forums can be misconstrued ( as said previously!) and so people come across as snobs from their short sharp comments!
Certainly I would not call myself a snob! u would just have to meet me to find i am far from it...but everybody likes to have nice things and some work hard for it and achieve it ( i work hard and am still trying to see the fruits of my work!)
i have lived in several countries in my young life and have finally settled for oz as the last stop. and I think everything and everywhere is what you make of it....while i Lived in Kenya we had no decent shops for clothes and we had to wait till a trip abroad to get basic stuff like Loofas and decent hairbrushes ( not like that now) and i never had any fancy toys and can never join in conversations when people my age talk about cartoons they watched when they were younger....get my drift??
everywhere has their own plus points and Oz has more than the rest in my opinion! These days nowhere is far ( with intenet etc!) and thats why I chose the Most isolated city in the world!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 10:11 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Nice topic!!

I'm kind of with bundy on this and dotty. The reality is that 90 pc of expats on this forum are suburbanites swapping out a biggesh house in the UK - most have gardens and more than a few bedrooms - which most first time buyers never will have! with a bigger one in aussie.

I was actually quite against being a "brit expat forumer" to start with because I thought most would be sun reading types who happenened to choose straya over spain cos they spoke english there! Trying to export the UK to Straya. Or the ones that whine about lack of "culture" or theatres or shopping. The ones that don't "get" australia. I think that whilst perhaps some are most people here are great. (Maybe I'm a snob now!)

I got criticism a feww months ago by trying to explain tne aussie culture in places and was shot down in flames. Out there there is still a country with great people who are to all extents and purposes unsnobby and without class distinctions.

Dotty is right there is snobbery everywhere.

But the minority like Bundy and myself have seen the other side of Straya and loved it. We both felt so at home in the more rural areas.

I still think there is less class in Strya. My best mate has a beautiful home amd is considered to be a well off business owner but he is the archetypal straya ocker who everyone loves . He is the most charasmatic bloke I have ever met and is generous - not a snob by any distance. I don't care - outside the most affluent areas - Strya is very much less class orientated than the UK.

Dotty loves to tell us about QLD coastal area and the snobbery there - but that is QLD coastal resorts and they are not the real Australia. I personally would never move anyway near there.

badge
Wotcha Badge - you're right. There do seem to be a lot of people who are going over to Oz for a life that is better, but still similar in many respects (big house, city or suburb life, all the amenties of life). And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - different strokes for different folks and all that.

But in my view, all cities are basically the same and it's not until you head out into the country and find the small towns that you really find what Australia is all about...it's the same in any country.

Having money/a large house/pool etc doesn't make you a snob...it comes down to attitude again. In good ol' Nundle there are 3 millionnaires - you wouldn't pick two of them. One owns a property which he still runs by himself, up at dawn each morning, spending all day on the land. The other runs the local pub and is on the bar morning noon and night, 365 days a year. The third millionnaire...well...he's another breed altogether. Treats the locals like scum, lords it over everyone and is thus despised by everyone in town.

It's a question of finding your level and living where you are comfortable with the surrounds. Cities give me the shivers...small town Oz is where I thrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.