Snobs

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Snobs

I have noted since i joined this board, that several people don't seem to realise just how snobbish they appear...of course, if thats how they wished to be perceived then fine by me, but, i do worry about them coming down here to the southern hemisphere.

I have found that here in NZ those who like to judge others by the clothes they wear, their "background", physical appearance or amount of money they have in the bank, get a very rough ride!!! I am pretty sure it will be pretty much the same in Aus.

The things that appear to be important in some social circles in UK, quite often will ostrocise them down here...maybe these people are the ones who don't "fit" in. I maybe wrong, i'll probably get a torrent of abuse too, for daring to suggest such a thing.

When you are alone in a new country and it is YOU that needs to fit in, being a pretty young thing, wearing the right sunglasses and driving the right car, could just well be your downfall!!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snobs

Originally posted by podgypossum
I have noted since i joined this board, that several people don't seem to realise just how snobbish they appear...of course, if thats how they wished to be perceived then fine by me, but, i do worry about them coming down here to the southern hemisphere.

I have found that here in NZ those who like to judge others by the clothes they wear, their "background", physical appearance or amount of money they have in the bank, get a very rough ride!!! I am pretty sure it will be pretty much the same in Aus.

The things that appear to be important in some social circles in UK, quite often will ostrocise them down here...maybe these people are the ones who don't "fit" in. I maybe wrong, i'll probably get a torrent of abuse too, for daring to suggest such a thing.

When you are alone in a new country and it is YOU that needs to fit in, being a pretty young thing, wearing the right sunglasses and driving the right car, could just well be your downfall!!
I think it depends where you are going. The private school set up here would make any pommie snob look like they were barely trying. One up man ship is alive and well in many bits of OZ.

Worst thing I find is Pommies who arrive and "try to be ozzie" its taken as a bit naff, geeky. Remember this english teacher over here for a year, she just kept chucking in surfing lingo, it just seemed so fake, you could see people cringe but she didnt get it.

Best pratty behaviour went to this Pom guy, bought a piece of land, awful block nobody else wanted it, but he carried on like some big landowner, like everyone here has a block of land nowt special, when he finally built the house the aussie neighbours stuck mullet offcuts behind the walls. Even the Poms next door hate him.

Just be yourself and leave the cork hat in the UK.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I think some probably come across as snobs/ a bit up themselves too, but usually I take this to be fairly good natured or larking about. Sometimes it's the younger posters? I'm more put off by people who have loads of dosh and are obviously worried by the thought they might lose out in Aus.
Could write more but I'm ill! This cold weather is also really depressing - think I might have to get some more chocolate spread sandwiches!
Personally I'd love to be this...
"When you are alone in a new country and it is YOU that needs to fit in, being a pretty young thing, wearing the right sunglasses and driving the right car"
but it ain't gonna happen!!! - think I'll be fat and spotty (choc. spread sandwiches), old and lined (stress of migration), wearing rose coloured sunglasses and driving a ute!
Larissa
They've got discounted flannos in Bwise for those who'd like to fit in! :scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst not wanting to agree/disagree with you PP, I find that on any internet forum, it's easy for comments to be misconstrued. We are brief with our comments in order to get straight to the point but that can sometimes be our downfall - by not being explicit enough, the wrong message is taken. I've learnt not to make any assumptions about people on forums - I can't fairly judge anyone based on a couple of brief sentences.

Back to the snobbery, one thing's for certain, the Aussies sure know how to take a Pom down a peg or two!! I should think a sentiment of 'Pommy superiority' is one of the most loathed traits amongst the folk down here, and certainly isn't tolerated.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Larissa
I think some probably come across as snobs/ a bit up themselves too, but usually I take this to be fairly good natured or larking about. Sometimes it's the younger posters? I'm more put off by people who have loads of dosh and are obviously worried by the thought they might lose out in Aus.
Could write more but I'm ill! This cold weather is also really depressing - think I might have to get some more chocolate spread sandwiches!
Personally I'd love to be this...
"When you are alone in a new country and it is YOU that needs to fit in, being a pretty young thing, wearing the right sunglasses and driving the right car"
but it ain't gonna happen!!! - think I'll be fat and spotty (choc. spread sandwiches), old and lined (stress of migration), wearing rose coloured sunglasses and driving a ute!
Larissa
They've got discounted flannos in Bwise for those who'd like to fit in! :scared:

LOL Larissa...a girl after me own heart!!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Whilst not wanting to agree/disagree with you PP, I find that on any internet forum, it's easy for comments to be misconstrued. We are brief with our comments in order to get straight to the point but that can sometimes be our downfall - by not being explicit enough, the wrong message is taken. I've learnt not to make any assumptions about people on forums - I can't fairly judge anyone based on a couple of brief sentences.

Back to the snobbery, one thing's for certain, the Aussies sure know how to take a Pom down a peg or two!! I should think a sentiment of 'Pommy superiority' is one of the most loathed traits amongst the folk down here, and certainly isn't tolerated.

Yep..i guess you are right HP.. it is very difficult to know someones true personality from the written words in a forum...i think what i meant was if the person does behave like this in reality and has the persona perceived on here.

Larissa made a good point when she said it could possibly be the younger ones who often tend to behave this way (although not always!!!)
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum

Too right, PP. I worry that some people are going to get the shock of their lives down under. The fact that what you wear/look like/drive doesn't matter in Oz is one of the reasons I want to live there, and one of the reasons I've never felt happy in this super-materialistic country. While I was living out there, I spent most days dressed in dungarees, a shearing singlet and a flanno, drove an ancient ute that fell apart as you went along, had a house with no TV, no phone, no locks on any doors. We lived in a rural area where nobody had any money to spare but everyone was so goddamn content it's untrue.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Too right, PP. I worry that some people are going to get the shock of their lives down under. The fact that what you wear/look like/drive doesn't matter in Oz is one of the reasons I want to live there, and one of the reasons I've never felt happy in this super-materialistic country. While I was living out there, I spent most days dressed in dungarees, a shearing singlet and a flanno, drove an ancient ute that fell apart as you went along, had a house with no TV, no phone, no locks on any doors. We lived in a rural area where nobody had any money to spare but everyone was so goddamn content it's untrue.

Oh yeah, and mobile phones only worked if you drove 20k, climbed a hill and stood on top of a gatepost...
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

There! I'm worried I've offended you now PP . I wasn't implying you had jumped to conclusions about people. Oh help!!

Interesting comment from Bundy about it not being important what you wear/drive - here in the city, I find that the car is the ultimate status symbol. P platers drive the latest V8s, mums on the school runs drive X5s and Land Rovers, and business people zoom everywhere, intimidating other road users in their BMWs and Boxters. A ute is no longer just about practicality....it has to be a V8 ute, lowered suspension, huge exhaust and blacked-out windows. If the young hoon can't afford a new V8, then it's all about finding the biggest spoiler, the lowest profile wheels, and the most hideous body kit.....and putting them on an old Celica. Cars reign supreme in this city!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:38 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear bundy, after some of the comments from the expats on here you wont be getting any invites to tupperware parties or BBQs if you wear flannos & dress like that .

Podgy

Larissa, they dont sell flannos in the UK do they? Surely not
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Oh dear bundy, after some of the comments from the expats on here you wont be getting any invites to tupperware parties or BBQs if you wear flannos & dress like that .

Podgy

Maybe Diesel should start selling them and charge 100 quid a shirt. Thats over 95 quid profit a shirt.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:40 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
There! I'm worried I've offended you now PP . I wasn't implying you had jumped to conclusions about people. Oh help!!

Interesting comment from Bundy about it not being important what you wear/drive - here in the city, I find that the car is the ultimate status symbol. P platers drive the latest V8s, mums on the school runs drive X5s and Land Rovers, and business people zoom everywhere, intimidating other road users in their BMWs and Boxters. A ute is no longer just about practicality....it has to be a V8 ute, lowered suspension, huge exhaust and blacked-out windows. If the young hoon can't afford a new V8, then it's all about finding the biggest spoiler, the lowest profile wheels, and the most hideous body kit.....and putting them on an old Celica. Cars reign supreme in this city!

Ahhh, but I'm talking about out in the bush. Practicality rules when you have to trundle across causeway and along miles of dirt track...lowered suspension ain't going to help much there.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Podgy

Yep! Saw 'em the day before yesterday in Portsmouth. Haven't seen anyone wearing one yet - shall I get hubby one? (te he he - he's not exactly the fashion concious sort!)
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh, but I'm talking about out in the bush. Practicality rules when you have to trundle across causeway and along miles of dirt track...lowered suspension ain't going to help much there.
Lowered suspension doesn't help with the potholes in the city. I wonder how some cars have an underside after driving the Parramatta road.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
Maybe Diesel should start selling them and charge 100 quid a shirt. Thats over 95 quid profit a shirt.
Think they're £8 in Bwise!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.