Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes in Schools?

Snakes in Schools?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:08 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snakes in Schools?

Do your kids' schools have any 'policies' about dealing with snakes on the school campus?

My kids' mates are really not bothered about them being around the place and no one seems to make a fuss at all.... this could just be bravado? I am wondering if the school should/could control snakes in some way - DD1 almost stepped on one today.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes in Schools?

There's no detailed policy that I know of but then I only work there They have lock down if a 'dangerous animal' is seen on the grounds but I don't think that refers to snakes. Whereabouts was your child? Do they have a bush area? Not seen any here, let alone around the school but I think my youngest saw a small one in the bush area at her primary school, but nothing major.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nerine
Do your kids' schools have any 'policies' about dealing with snakes on the school campus?

My kids' mates are really not bothered about them being around the place and no one seems to make a fuss at all.... this could just be bravado? I am wondering if the school should/could control snakes in some way - DD1 almost stepped on one today.
As "Jonesy" says in Dad's Army "Don't panic, Don't panic"!!!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has bred and kept snakes over the years, i would say it unusual for snakes to be found in a school. The reason being the same as you dont get many in cities - they dont like being around people.
However, it is not impossible and the best advice i would give would be to educate the children not to touch or go near any snake they see no matter how small - venomous snakes are born with the same stregnth venum as an adult. Apparently dead snakes should not be approached either as several snakes first defence is to play dead if they feel threatened.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:53 am

She saw it near the Art block, there's also another one which seems to have set up home in the undergrowth near the locker room which has been spotted a number of times. I doubt that they are poisonous but I have no way of telling really.

Usually they slither away when people approach but this one today reared at her, well.... she did almost step on it .

Regardless of whether they are venomous or not I'd imagine a snake bite isn't particularly pleasant nor free from infection risks.

p.s. tell you what though - I'm really glad they don't wear open sandles like they used to in NZ.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think snakes are only a problem if your school is called Hogwarts
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
She saw it near the Art block, there's also another one which seems to have set up home in the undergrowth near the locker room which has been spotted a number of times. I doubt that they are poisonous but I have no way of telling really.

Usually they slither away when people approach but this one today reared at her, well.... she did almost step on it .

Regardless of whether they are venomous or not I'd imagine a snake bite isn't particularly pleasant nor free from infection risks.

p.s. tell you what though - I'm really glad they don't wear open sandles like they used to in NZ.
If you think there maybe snakes there, then it might be worth having a chat with a member of staff to clarify. It may be that they are aware of them and have been identified as non venemous.
Snake bites are painfull - i have had a few, but unless it is a large snake, there no worse than a cat scratch.
If they havent been identified then it may need a expert to look over the situation. If you can get me a reasoable description with some details on habitat i will do my best
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:22 am

That's very kind of you - thank you.

The kids have gone off to bed now but I'll ask them for descriptions tomorrow.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:58 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember on one program the kids kept the school bags on hooks outside the classroom.
Whilst the kids were inside, a snake had got into someones school bag and a guy came and got it ~ think it was on Australia Zoo or something similar ~ wasn't Home and Away anyway!!
Hope you get it sorted!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I vaguely remember on one program the kids kept the school bags on hooks outside the classroom.
Whilst the kids were inside, a snake had got into someones school bag and a guy came and got it ~ think it was on Australia Zoo or something similar ~ wasn't Home and Away anyway!!
Hope you get it sorted!
Hi J

I'm working in a school and the kids leave their bags anywhere except where they're supposed to! and always open too! there's bushland around the school and they're always being told to fasten bags and put them on the bag racks, because of snakes
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Hope you get it sorted!
We happened to pass a few schools on our reccie and the kids bags all seemed to be outside, wondered why at the time, anyone know??
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marvinc
We happened to pass a few schools on our reccie and the kids bags all seemed to be outside, wondered why at the time, anyone know??
For goodness sakes mums - STOP GOING ON about a bloody snake in a schoolbag!!

It never happens! You're making a mountain out of a snakehill!!
Peoples' imaginations, and threads are getting out of control!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:44 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by talbot
For goodness sakes mums - STOP GOING ON about a bloody snake in a schoolbag!!

It never happens! You're making a mountain out of a snakehill!!
Peoples' imaginations, and threads are getting out of control!
It never happens BUT it could!!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:47 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

If the school isn't taking your concern too greatly, you could always phone a locally pest control/animal handler to chat with them about it - allay some of your fears and this also tips them off in case they fancy calling the school and offering their services.

If there is a snake on school property I am sure the school would take an interest in it if it was habitating in a place used by the kids often - a bit different if the snake is in a bush as opposed to under a classroom methinks!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
If the school isn't taking your concern too greatly, you could always phone a locally pest control/animal handler to chat with them about it - allay some of your fears and this also tips them off in case they fancy calling the school and offering their services.

If there is a snake on school property I am sure the school would take an interest in it if it was habitating in a place used by the kids often - a bit different if the snake is in a bush as opposed to under a classroom methinks!
You obviously don't live here in Australia yet because you sound like you think this really does happen!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.