Skype in Aus

Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:59 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skype in Aus

Does anyone on here use skype to talk to their family in the UK? I use it in the UK so I can talk to family and friends in Oz and think it is utterly fab. Does anyone use it to call internally in Aus - is the quality the same as the calls overseas?

Last edited by killamarsh; Jul 13th 2008 at 8:17 am.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

deci will become famous soon enoughdeci will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Skype in Aus

Hi,

We use Skype to call the UK and it works just fine, only the occasional phone call where we fade in and out, and so much cheaper than phone cards. Also ring our son on his computer and link with camera so we can see our grandchildren.

Linda
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Yes we use it and find it is a life saver. I think we talk more to the family now than what we did when we were in the UK, not sure if that is a good or bad thing
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope havent bothered - international calls are cheap as chips anyway so just go with Transact.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:44 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
Yes we use it and find it is a life saver. I think we talk more to the family now than what we did when we were in the UK, not sure if that is a good or bad thing

Does it clock up your broadband useage ? I have a broadband package in Perth with Telstra that has a 12Gig monthly limit. Is it going to eat into this ?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

keijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant future

Hi, we have used Skype Out for a few months now and find call quality to be excellent.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:54 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Does it clock up your broadband useage ? I have a broadband package in Perth with Telstra that has a 12Gig monthly limit. Is it going to eat into this ?
1 Gb for about 40 hours if you count up and down I think
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:28 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Does anyone on here use skype to talk to their family in the UK? I use it in the UK so I can talk to family and friends in Oz and think it is utterly fab. Does anyone use it to call internally in Aus - is the quality the same as the calls overseas?
I have now subscribed to a Skype out number.
I have a local number to call (Perth number) and from dialling that, I can call any of the stored 'speed dial' numbers or any number in the world, for the price of a local call.
I use it most from my mobile phone. While driving home, I'll call my parents in the UK (via the local number) and speak for the cost of a local call, (which is free as it's a company mobile!)
The cost is 3 EUR per month and the calls are unlimited. If I call via a USB phone connected to the PC, the calls are unlimited in length and all for the 3 Euros.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by killamarsh
If you are talking to friends in oz on skype why not ask them when you are talking to them? they will let you know the quailty.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

paddytd will become famous soon enoughpaddytd will become famous soon enough

Why dont you just buy a skype mobile. phone any one in the world for free?
Just put it in your pocket and can use it as a normal phone. Used one for a month now still amazes me!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:42 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I use Skype to cal business contacts because we use Video and I know they will be on. Using it to call your family can be a little involved and time consuming, plus it does clock up the bandwidth if you're on for hours (like my wife) then calling cards are a MUCH better option. Most of them allow you to setup accounts and can get your home number associated with your account so all you do is dial the local access number and your away. My wife is on the phone 2-3 times a week, sometimes for hours, and a $50 (£25) card lasts us months (seriously). We use the GoTalk cards from the Post Office
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the US, but I love SKYPE. It's fantastic. I highly recommend it. I bought a monthly plan (not sure if they are available where you are). For $10 I get unlimited calls to 34 countries, voicemail and a skype out number. Great stuff. The calls are excellent quality and I use Skype for internal US calls too.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:02 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I'm in the US, but I love SKYPE. It's fantastic. I highly recommend it. I bought a monthly plan (not sure if they are available where you are). For $10 I get unlimited calls to 34 countries, voicemail and a skype out number. Great stuff.
I have heard that this package is good for heavy users.

Originally Posted by simongb
The calls are excellent quality and I use Skype for internal US calls too.
Excellent compared to the general standard of phone call quality in the US ? Not really that hard is it
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:39 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddytd
Why dont you just buy a skype mobile. phone any one in the world for free?
Just put it in your pocket and can use it as a normal phone. Used one for a month now still amazes me!
I have a Skype mobile too.
I agree very good, though my problem is I don't too many people that use Skype (parents don't have a PC) etc. The few calls I have msade on the Skype mobile have been excellent.
Any ideas.... can you dial out to a phone number, or ONLY Skype contacts online? Not worked that out yet??

Cheers
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:54 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

you can dial out to a phone number we use ur skype phone to talk to family who dont have PCs and broadband.

for family with Pcs we use a mix of skype and windows live messenger (msn) as we find that occasionally skype just doesnt work and msn will it is rare that both won't work but does happen occasionally.

I used this combination to talk to my husband twice a day when I was in the UK and he was in Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.