Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:45 am   #1
Cat87 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Cat87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Assessment and IELTS

Hello,

I have started trying to get my head round the skills assessment process and have sent the IQA form to my university, but I’m a bit stumped on the evidence my English language skills section. I can provide evidence of my 3 year degree and 2 year masters, but it specifically says secondary school which will be impossible for me as my secondary education was patchy for personal reasons. The alternative seems to be to take the IELT test which I would have to do anything for the visa application...

What has other people done to evidence this section of the skills assessment?

Cat
Cat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:14 am   #2
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,387
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat87 View Post
Hello,

I have started trying to get my head round the skills assessment process and have sent the IQA form to my university, but I’m a bit stumped on the evidence my English language skills section. I can provide evidence of my 3 year degree and 2 year masters, but it specifically says secondary school which will be impossible for me as my secondary education was patchy for personal reasons. The alternative seems to be to take the IELT test which I would have to do anything for the visa application...

What has other people done to evidence this section of the skills assessment?

Cat
What does your assessing body ask for? From your other posts you're a social worker? Perhaps this can help - https://www.aasw.asn.au/careers-stud...requirements-2

Even if attendance was patchy, the last school you attended should be able to give you a letter saying you were taught in English
Or just sit IELTS - google can give you some examples.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Nov 14th 2017 at 9:18 am.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:55 pm   #3
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 54
Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

If I remember correctly you can do IELTS academic to evidence English language for the skills assessment which would kill two birds with one stone because you would get visa points for it as well.

I’m sure the fact your degree and Masters was taught in English should be sufficient though as well. Ask the AASW and see what they say.
Jacko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:15 pm   #4
Cat87 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Cat87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko86 View Post
If I remember correctly you can do IELTS academic to evidence English language for the skills assessment which would kill two birds with one stone because you would get visa points for it as well.

I’m sure the fact your degree and Masters was taught in English should be sufficient though as well. Ask the AASW and see what they say.
Thank you - I’ve emailed them and am waiting for them to come back to me. I’m hoping I can put off the IELTS test for a couple of months but if I have to I will book it for January. What’s the difference between the academic and the other version?
Cat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:37 pm   #5
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 54
Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat87 View Post
Thank you - I’ve emailed them and am waiting for them to come back to me. I’m hoping I can put off the IELTS test for a couple of months but if I have to I will book it for January. What’s the difference between the academic and the other version?
I’m not sure what the difference is to be honest. The academic is supposed to be a bit harder but I only did general. I think either is passable with some revision. I used the IELTS Liz website for revision and practice materials.
Jacko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:42 pm   #6
Cat87 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Cat87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko86 View Post
I’m not sure what the difference is to be honest. The academic is supposed to be a bit harder but I only did general. I think either is passable with some revision. I used the IELTS Liz website for revision and practice materials.
Thank you, you’ve been so helpful! Did you have to get the 20 points for the visa? I’ve worked out that’s what I need. I’m worried the test will be really hard, as I don’t think I’ll have much leeway for error...
Cat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:47 pm   #7
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 54
Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat87 View Post
Thank you, you’ve been so helpful! Did you have to get the 20 points for the visa? I’ve worked out that’s what I need. I’m worried the test will be really hard, as I don’t think I’ll have much leeway for error...
No worries! I found the forums helpful when going through the process. There’s some useful groups on Facebook as well as here. Poms Wanting Oz and UK Social Workers Wanting Oz.

I had 45 points without IELTS so yep I needed 20 as 10 wouldn’t have been enough. It’s really not too bad if you revise the technique and know what they’re looking for.
Jacko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:13 pm   #8
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,387
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

I did IELTS Academic as it was quicker to book onto, and I mistakenly first thought I needed to do it if I wanted all 8.0's or better.

If you google writing examples, IELTS Academic, you'll see that this part is different from the general test. You have to write much more of a report than a letter, and an analysis of some data or graph. Not sure how the reading and listening tests differ, if at all though but the speaking was very general.

I ended up taking the test twice - I got a 7.5 on listening the first time but I took the tests straight after a 12 hour night shift. Second time around, I took the night off and got all 9.0's. I did do a bit of practice to familiarise myself with the tests, but nothing excessive. It does all depend really, on how well you can communicate generally.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:07 pm   #9
Cat87 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Cat87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
I did IELTS Academic as it was quicker to book onto, and I mistakenly first thought I needed to do it if I wanted all 8.0's or better.

If you google writing examples, IELTS Academic, you'll see that this part is different from the general test. You have to write much more of a report than a letter, and an analysis of some data or graph. Not sure how the reading and listening tests differ, if at all though but the speaking was very general.

I ended up taking the test twice - I got a 7.5 on listening the first time but I took the tests straight after a 12 hour night shift. Second time around, I took the night off and got all 9.0's. I did do a bit of practice to familiarise myself with the tests, but nothing excessive. It does all depend really, on how well you can communicate generally.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. The AASW have come back to me saying that I would need to take the Academic test if I can’t get confirmation that I completed my secondary education in the English language. The problem I have is that I missed a great deal of my secondary education due to being in the care system myself at that time, so I actually went back at 19 to do an access course and then went on and completed my degree and later my masters. Because of this I think it’s just going to be simpler for me to sit the academic IELTS as I would need to sit this test at some point anyway. My university have already sent back the info required for my social work qualification and I’m just going to get the IELTS booked soon and start revising I think!
Cat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 6:04 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com