Reload this Page >

Single parent/nurse thinking of moving to Australia

Single parent/nurse thinking of moving to Australia

Old May 15th 2015, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

cowquineinscotland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single parent/nurse thinking of moving to Australia

Hello,

I would appreciate any advice with the following.

I am a single parent, my son is just 2 and a half. I am thinking of moving to Australia and working as a nurse. I've spoken to a couple of agencies who are happy to start my registration/visa process but I have a few questions I just seem to be getting "yeah it will all be fine" answers too. Could anyone please answer the following:

1) How does childcare work regarding shift work? In the UK it is a nightmare.
2) Does anyone know if there is a need for dialysis nurses as this is my speciality and would prefer (but not essential) to stay in the same speciality?
3) Would me and my son be able to live on the income from a nurses' salary? I am aware of the salary I may receive but don't know whether this would be enough.
4) Are there really plenty of jobs for nurses? The registration/visa process is quite expensive and I don't want to spend our rainy day money and then not have a job at the end of it.

Thanks in advance

Jen
Old May 17th 2015, 12:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single parent/nurse thinking of moving to Australia

Before you worry about any of that, do you have permission to remove your child from the UK? Without written proof of that you are pretty unlikely to get a visa so salaries and childcare are moot.
Old May 17th 2015, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Before you worry about any of that, do you have permission to remove your child from the UK? Without written proof of that you are pretty unlikely to get a visa so salaries and childcare are moot.
Written permission from whom? My son's Dad? I am the only name on his birth certificate and his Dad has never met him.

Please remember children don't have Dads for a variety of reasons, including illness and the armed forces!
Old May 17th 2015, 9:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Single parent/nurse thinking of moving to Australia

Originally Posted by cowquineinscotland
Hello,

I would appreciate any advice with the following.

I am a single parent, my son is just 2 and a half. I am thinking of moving to Australia and working as a nurse. I've spoken to a couple of agencies who are happy to start my registration/visa process but I have a few questions I just seem to be getting "yeah it will all be fine" answers too. Could anyone please answer the following:

1) How does childcare work regarding shift work? In the UK it is a nightmare.
2) Does anyone know if there is a need for dialysis nurses as this is my speciality and would prefer (but not essential) to stay in the same speciality?
3) Would me and my son be able to live on the income from a nurses' salary? I am aware of the salary I may receive but don't know whether this would be enough.
4) Are there really plenty of jobs for nurses? The registration/visa process is quite expensive and I don't want to spend our rainy day money and then not have a job at the end of it.

Thanks in advance

Jen
Hi Jen

Which state are you thinking of moving to?

BB
Old May 18th 2015, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Written permission from whom? My son's Dad? I am the only name on his birth certificate and his Dad has never met him.

Please remember children don't have Dads for a variety of reasons, including illness and the armed forces!
The birth cert is irrelevant. You will either need permission or a court order.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The birth cert is irrelevant. You will either need permission or a court order.
I'm no legal eagle here, but just for my own enlightenment, would a single mother require permission (whom from?) or a court order if she can't be sure of who the father is (with no reference to the original poster whatsoever)?

Sorry for the O.T, but I'm really curious about the point you raised.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
I'm no legal eagle here, but just for my own enlightenment, would a single mother require permission (whom from?) or a court order if she can't be sure of who the father is (with no reference to the original poster whatsoever)?

Sorry for the O.T, but I'm really curious about the point you raised.
Yes, a single parent would need either permission or a court order to satisfy DIBP that the child can legally be removed. It doesn't matter what the birth certificate says. It's easy for a parent to say they don't know who the father is or to not put the father's name on the birth certificate. How does DIBP know that there isn't some long, drawn out custody battle being waged by the other parent? Or the other parent is not fighting to have their name added to the birth certificate?
Old May 18th 2015, 4:34 am
Still alive

I'm not sure why you're so hostile. I was simply trying to point out that DIBP would require proof before you are granted a visa. However if you don't want to take on board what's required then that's your prerogative.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Dorothy - very valid point!
Old May 18th 2015, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think it would be very difficult to move to any country as a single parent without the support of family or friends, especially with a child that is so young.
Child care facilities generally only open from 6am to 6pm so night shift would be an issue without cover from family, a close friend, generous neighbour, or a nanny. The cost of the latter would be crippling with just one wage coming in.
I am sure you will find work as a Nurse and you would expect a decent wage regardless of whether you work in dialysis or not. Surviving on this wage will depend on where you choose to live and what your child care requirements are.
The Dept of Immigration is very specific about children migrating to Australia with only one parent, regardless of the circumstances, so this would need to be your first step before signing up with any agency. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a skills assessment and visa lodgement, then have this hurdle to jump at the end.
It is a bold move and certainly possible, but get reliable answers to as many questions as possible because an informed decision is the best kind in circumstances such as these.
Old May 18th 2015, 9:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes, a single parent would need either permission or a court order to satisfy DIBP that the child can legally be removed. It doesn't matter what the birth certificate says. It's easy for a parent to say they don't know who the father is or to not put the father's name on the birth certificate. How does DIBP know that there isn't some long, drawn out custody battle being waged by the other parent? Or the other parent is not fighting to have their name added to the birth certificate?
Old May 18th 2015, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Tuxtrip, thank you very much for your constructive comments.

To everybody else who seems to have taken this post as a way to have a go a single parents. Until you know the facts, pleased don't judge. I have spoken to several agencies who are aware of the exact circumstances and there is no problem what so ever. No written permission is required!
Old May 18th 2015, 10:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

The only "agency" that matters is DIBP.

People who have given you advice are not having a go at single parents. They are just advising you that without crossing that hurdle, everything else is irrelevant. Many of them speak from experience.

BB
Old May 18th 2015, 10:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The only "agency" that matters is DIBP.

People who have given you advice are not having a go at single parents. They are just advising you that without crossing that hurdle, everything else is irrelevant. Many of them speak from experience.

BB
Not sorting out the OP's first hurdle would mena the amount spent on the rest could be wasted money. Australian immigration will NOT let her into the country withput some proof that she can take the child out of the country. Given that the father is not on the birth certificate means that a court order would be needed to prove that the child could move to Australia, DIBP will not be interested in the OP's circumstances as she could be telling untruths, and the father could be in the child's life, they will not take the OP's word, and he could be in the child's life and not want the child to go. A court order would prove the child could be taken to Australia, that court order HAS to be acquired even if the mother says she doesn't know who the father is. It's just a bit of paper, but perhaps the most important bit of paper she needs to get.
OP, get that sorted before paying out any money, then once you have it you are good to go to get assessmant and visa, without it being turned back at the UK customs is a real possibility, perhaps a probability.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OP, have a read of this which helps you to see what sort of paperwork you will need to confirm the other parent has no responsibility, and under which laws.

Child Custody and Australian Immigration : British Expat Wiki

As for other matters, do you know which State you would be looking at? That can make a difference with child care and the cost of living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.