Reload this Page >

Single Parent Advice

Single Parent Advice

Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

laura19817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Parent Advice

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help or has been in my situation.

I am a single parent of 2 small children. It has been my dream since 2003 to move to Oz and have done countless research on it. Everytime we were ready to go, the visa system changed and now i am single with 2 children. Their father will not stop me going and the legal part of that does not worry me at all. I am currently in rented accommodation as sold the house in preparation to move.

I am slightly more worried about the following that I need advice on:

- gaining a visa with 2 kiddies - i am a qualified pre primary teacher
- rent or buy? ( i have 25k saved and dont know whether this will help)
- work full or part time - 1 child will be at school, the other will need daycare
- is there any help for childcare?
- meeting new people, getting the children to meet new children

Basically, the general move on your own with 2 kids?

I hope anyone can help, i just dont know where to start
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Parent Advice

Originally Posted by laura19817
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help or has been in my situation.

I am a single parent of 2 small children. It has been my dream since 2003 to move to Oz and have done countless research on it. Everytime we were ready to go, the visa system changed and now i am single with 2 children. Their father will not stop me going and the legal part of that does not worry me at all. I am currently in rented accommodation as sold the house in preparation to move.

I am slightly more worried about the following that I need advice on:

- gaining a visa with 2 kiddies - i am a qualified pre primary teacher
- rent or buy? ( i have 25k saved and dont know whether this will help)
- work full or part time - 1 child will be at school, the other will need daycare
- is there any help for childcare?
- meeting new people, getting the children to meet new children

Basically, the general move on your own with 2 kids?

I hope anyone can help, i just dont know where to start
Your first hurdle is going to be whether you qualify for a visa. I'm not sure pre-primary teachers are on the SOL. Are you a qualified teacher or are youa day care worker? Teacher as in have a valid teaching certificate. Look at www.immi.gov.au for whether your skill is on the SOL, schedule 3. Also bear in mind that the rules will be changing in July, so you may need to get your skates on to get your skills assessment and registration here done. It's very possible you may not qualify post-July changes, so if you qualify now you'll want to apply before June.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

laura19817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Single Parent Advice

i have a degree in early childhood studies 0-8 years of age. In the UK this qualifies me to work up to nursery (kindergarten) level in teaching.

I have looked on the SOL and early childhood teacher, pre primary teacher and childcare coordinator are all on there. My current job is to coordinate education programmes in different schools and groups.

I did not know that rules are changing in July, do you know how?

Thank you for the help so far