Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From Singapore with love...via Derby UK

From Singapore with love...via Derby UK

Old Mar 21st 2017, 7:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Singapore with love...via Derby UK

Originally Posted by Beoz
What are you on about? Its a public forum sharing public thoughts. Read back through. As you can see I have been asked to move to Singapore over the years. I am curious as to why people left or want to leave in the future.
The first time I read your comment I though 'whoa arsey much'. Read it again and decided you were just interested. Easy to misinterpret the written word .
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. I have to agree, the red eye from Sydney Singapore or back the other way on a Friday night does not make for a nice weekend.
He covered the whole of APJ, and the India trips could mess up one Sunday and the following Saturday. Really messed with those grand ideas to jet off for weekends across SEA.

We were happy there but equally happy when the Sydney office poached him and relocated us, as Sydney was always the plan. Singapore was unplanned but came along and, as I said, we were up for adventure. We weren't very expatty, we lived in a local area (Geylang), mixed with locals and long-timers and didn't do the Club thing.

I prefer Sydney because I have more work opportunities (I did do a bit of freelancing in Singapore, and yet more voluntary work, but I felt like my brain mulched, and the NFP sector here is much bigger) and we spend a lot of time at the theatre, gigs, cinema (including NT Live screenings, which I love), dining out, etc.

I won't say we'll never go back (it's still regional HQ for him) but it would not be an easy decision. Does your wife work, Beoz? Would she want to work there if you moved? It's not always easy as the +1.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
He covered the whole of APJ, and the India trips could mess up one Sunday and the following Saturday. Really messed with those grand ideas to jet off for weekends across SEA.

We were happy there but equally happy when the Sydney office poached him and relocated us, as Sydney was always the plan. Singapore was unplanned but came along and, as I said, we were up for adventure. We weren't very expatty, we lived in a local area (Geylang), mixed with locals and long-timers and didn't do the Club thing.

I prefer Sydney because I have more work opportunities (I did do a bit of freelancing in Singapore, and yet more voluntary work, but I felt like my brain mulched, and the NFP sector here is much bigger) and we spend a lot of time at the theatre, gigs, cinema (including NT Live screenings, which I love), dining out, etc.

I won't say we'll never go back (it's still regional HQ for him) but it would not be an easy decision. Does your wife work, Beoz? Would she want to work there if you moved? It's not always easy as the +1.
Yeah she does, and doesn't like brain mulch either. She has already stated she would never want to live there. We had a few friends who lived there for a few years, she used to go and stay when I was up there for work. 2 couples are now divorced. I think that worries her and the women blame it on Singapore.

Anyway, we would only ever do it to cash up.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 5:06 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

the tax on a car is a killer
Sure is. Luckily I've never needed a car here, but I do understand the need for having one. Plus they have these interesting vehicles here that you don't need to own, they all have their own drivers, insurance is paid for, they're all clean, all fueled up, and I believe the sign on top of them reads, "Taxi." Costs peanuts too compared to Australia where taking a cab is just ridiculous.

Go for a few beers or having a few glasses of wine with your meal can be financially crippling.
You really must have been given a low offer on moving here. Plus you need to differentiate between tourist hotspots and places where expats hang out.

I won't disagree with the notion that booze is expensive here, but Australia is a strange example where wine is super cheap but beer is quite expensive.

The beaches are rubbish too.
Sydney isn't great either. And the mediocre climate wouldn't even allow you to enjoy them for a large part of the year even if Sydney had fantastic beaches.

Luckily people can always head north to the Gold Coast or beyond, where great beaches can actually be found, just like Singaporeans can head to Boracay or many other near destinations to hit the waves.

The SG tax system can be a killer for enjoying the simple things in life.
Best tax system I've ever been part of. What exactly are you on about?

Sing is nice for a SE asian city... but its stale, and can get a bit boring.

... On the flipside Sydney has the variety.
Haha, OMG! Sydney is stale compared to Singapore and has no variety compared to what a global city like Singapore has to offer. Seriously, you're trying to promote Sydney into a league that it will never reach.

Its just not justifiable doing the Singapore expat thing these days unless you are being paid the extras to do so.
Well, it all depends on the package that you get. If the money is right... make the move. If the money doesn't quite add up... don't take the deal. Plain and simple.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Sure is. Luckily I've never needed a car here, but I do understand the need for having one. Plus they have these interesting vehicles here that you don't need to own, they all have their own drivers, insurance is paid for, they're all clean, all fueled up, and I believe the sign on top of them reads, "Taxi." Costs peanuts too compared to Australia where taking a cab is just ridiculous.

You really must have been given a low offer on moving here. Plus you need to differentiate between tourist hotspots and places where expats hang out.

I won't disagree with the notion that booze is expensive here, but Australia is a strange example where wine is super cheap but beer is quite expensive.

Sydney isn't great either. And the mediocre climate wouldn't even allow you to enjoy them for a large part of the year even if Sydney had fantastic beaches.

Luckily people can always head north to the Gold Coast or beyond, where great beaches can actually be found, just like Singaporeans can head to Boracay or many other near destinations to hit the waves.

Best tax system I've ever been part of. What exactly are you on about?

Haha, OMG! Sydney is stale compared to Singapore and has no variety compared to what a global city like Singapore has to offer. Seriously, you're trying to promote Sydney into a league that it will never reach.

Well, it all depends on the package that you get. If the money is right... make the move. If the money doesn't quite add up... don't take the deal. Plain and simple.
Coming from the man who thought the Gold Coast was cool. The place where western Sydney and school leavers go on holiday - remind me - why did you leave?

I've been to Singapore enough to know how it works. See you there next week for another one of those regular trips.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:46 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from the man who thought the Gold Coast was cool. The place where western Sydney and school leavers go on holiday - remind me - why did you leave?
The Gold Coast is still great, which is why lots of people head up there whenever they can. Plus lots of people from Sydney and Melbourne move there to get away from the boredom and rather unspectacular weather in the far south.

I moved continents to try something new. I would never leave the Gold Coast to move to another part of Australia, that's for sure.

I've been to Singapore enough to know how it works.
Ah, yes. I'm sure you have Singapore all figured out after coming here several times as a tourist, lol.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Gold Coast is still great, which is why lots of people head up there whenever they can. Plus lots of people from Sydney and Melbourne move there to get away from the boredom and rather unspectacular weather in the far south.

I moved continents to try something new. I would never leave the Gold Coast to move to another part of Australia, that's for sure.

Ah, yes. I'm sure you have Singapore all figured out after coming here several times as a tourist, lol.
I would never ever be a tourist more than once in Singapore. Too stale.

You bang on about the Gold Coast weather. Isn't the place under water right now.

Got to hand it to the Queensland govt. They do sell a good weather story. Bit like what they write on the number plates "Queensland - The Smart State" that cracks me up everytime.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I would never ever be a tourist more than once in Singapore. Too stale.

You bang on about the Gold Coast weather. Isn't the place under water right now.

Got to hand it to the Queensland govt. They do sell a good weather story. Bit like what they write on the number plates "Queensland - The Smart State" that cracks me up everytime.
Does it not rain or places get flooded in Sydney?

The smart state logo finished about 8 years ago. Why it should still crack you up I have no clue unless you're lacking entertainment down there.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's been raining for weeks on end now according to Sydneysiders I know.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's been raining for weeks on end now according to Sydneysiders I know.
From all the locals I know as well. They also had a very hot summer as well but none of it happened in Beoz's neck of the woods apparently.

Why we have to have constant belittling of town/cities/states just because someone doesn't like them is beyond me. Some people like where they live,some don't and if they're lucky they can move. Who cares, it's all personal preference anyway.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The smart state logo finished about 8 years ago. Why it should still crack you up I have no clue unless you're lacking entertainment down there.
It does this time of year. Gives the grass back its green. But Saturday was a belter. Couldn't have asked for better weather.

You know how it goes. Beautiful one day, perfect the next down here in the "Smart State" ho ho ho...... the very best of false advertising.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:33 pm

Bit like what they write on the number plates "Queensland - The Smart State" that cracks me up everytime.
Would be immensely more funny though if you were to see that on NSW plates.

Hit the nail right on the head there.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would be immensely more funny though if you were to see that on NSW plates.

Hit the nail right on the head there.
I recall when you were trying to find the "cheapest" place to live with an internet connection and a beach but wasn't quite a one horse town.

Looks like you found it, then left. You pay for what you get right? Let that be a learning experience for all.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 5:19 pm

I recall when you were trying to find the "cheapest" place to live with an internet connection and a beach but wasn't quite a one horse town.
Nope, your memory seems to be failing as I never looked for the cheapest place to live.

I simply stated that I work over the internet, so - logically - all I need is an internet connection. Hence, I can live by the beach if I choose to.

In truth I've actually been choosing some of the more expensive places: UK, Singapore, Australia. So quite the opposite of the "cheapest" place with an internet connection.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

"Sydney is a boring dump compared to Singapore"

Are you sure Astera?

For a family with young kids, I would say Sydney has the edge. I think my kids would find it more exciting - it's a more down to earth, natural environment with less 'expatiness'. Kids don't care about cocktail bars or which hedge funds their friends' dads manage - they want space, grass, dirt and beaches.

I'm not knocking Singapore (I love it!) - it's glamorous, efficient and much 'easier' than other Asian cities but for a family with young kids, I'd say it's the boring option (my husband doesn't think it comes close to Hong Kong).

Last edited by Crystaltipps; Apr 10th 2017 at 3:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.