Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines - Double baggage allowance

Singapore Airlines - Double baggage allowance

Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:43 pm
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough
Default Singapore Airlines - Double baggage allowance

I have just spoken to Singapore airlines customer service regarding applying for double baggage allowance due to us emigrating to Perth in September, I was told we are unable to have double baggage allowance due to us already validating our visa's at the end of last year, even though when we did enter the country with a permanent visa we didn't take advantage of this offer. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:19 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Airlines - Double baggage allowance

Haven't experienced this personally, but it's been well documented in threads on here and it's not just Singapore Airlines who do this, they all do by all accounts. The only way to get a good luggage allowance is to travel Air New Zealand, you get 46kg then, regardless!
Sorry I don't have better news.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
I have just spoken to Singapore airlines customer service regarding applying for double baggage allowance due to us emigrating to Perth in September, I was told we are unable to have double baggage allowance due to us already validating our visa's at the end of last year, even though when we did enter the country with a permanent visa we didn't take advantage of this offer. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sadly you wont get it. You have already made your migration trip with an unused PR visa once. This has been posted a few times in the past.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
Apparently going via the US gives you 40kg baggage allowance whatever your visa is.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Apparently going via the US gives you 40kg baggage allowance whatever your visa is.
As a previous poster said, its 46kg (2 pieces at max 23kg each). Any legs of the journey not involving the US e.g. connections Scotland to London or NZ - Aus must be bought on the same ticket or the 46kg will not apply to those legs.

Also, most of the US carriers are now introducing charges for all checked baggage - not sure how this will affect things.

Last edited by bcworld; Jun 27th 2008 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Sorry but there is nothing you can do, the airlines are strict in regards to this.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

dave wood will become famous soon enough

We validated in oct last year and flew here last week [queensland] with singapore airlines.I rang the airline and got double baggage allowance even though we had validated.I just asked nicely and they gave it.Good luck
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

My cousin had the same problem and ended up flying with Malaysian instead. The tickets were alot cheaper and the amount he saved is going towards sending the rest of the plane stuff out via an excess baggage company. Just an idea if you haven't got the tickets yet.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dave wood
We validated in oct last year and flew here last week [queensland] with singapore airlines.I rang the airline and got double baggage allowance even though we had validated.I just asked nicely and they gave it.Good luck

Did you just ring the airline direct, only we validated in April and now are going to go in August, I e-mailed them to ask this question and they said no we couldn't have double baggage.

If they said yes to you did you get confirmation by letter/e-mail?
Thanks
Andrea
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

dave wood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andreak
Did you just ring the airline direct, only we validated in April and now are going to go in August, I e-mailed them to ask this question and they said no we couldn't have double baggage.

If they said yes to you did you get confirmation by letter/e-mail?
Thanks
Andrea
I rang them direct and explained that the validation trip was only a 2 week holiday and we didn't use the allowance They agreed to give us the allowance but would not confirm in writing.The lady gave me her name and on arrival at manchester they knew about it.Ironically we only ended up taking 106 kg for 4 people when we could have taken 160kg.I wouldn't have fancied carrying 160 though.106 was heavy enough.
Good luck!