Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Visa Please Help!!!

Student Visa Please Help!!!

Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold
Default Student Visa Please Help!!!

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be going to Oz in the next 9weeks on a Students Visa, can anyone give me any advice with this, I have applied to London, they said it takes up to 4 weeks to issue the visa, not sure if this is correct, or how quick they will be, I can't book flights or acommodation until I know i definately have the visa, catch 22. Also does anyone know of any good shippers in the Scotland area???? I would love to hear from anyone who has any info or who has gone to Oz on a 2 year student visa, I am a mature student and really hoping once I finish my course i will get a job and be able to stay.

Thanks for any advice
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: Student Visa Please Help!!!

Originally posted by floweroscotland

I'm hoping to be going to Oz in the next 9weeks on a Students Visa, can anyone give me any advice with this, I have applied to London, they said it takes up to 4 weeks to issue the visa, not sure if this is correct, or how quick they will be, I can't book flights or acommodation until I know i definately have the visa, catch 22.
Also does anyone know of any good shippers in the Scotland area???? I would love to hear from anyone who has any info or who has gone to Oz on a 2 year student visa, I am a mature student and really hoping once I finish my course i will get a job and be able to stay.
The educational institution you are headed for should have at least some answers on its website. Here is the reference for the University of Sydney www.usyd.edu.au/su/io. The University of New South Wales hosts even more international students.

International students studying in Australia is now a big business which can't work for the numbers involved unless it's well organised.

If the institution you wish to study at has issued you with an eCOE (electronic confirmation of enrolment) you are as good as in. DIMIA relies on those to be satisfied you have a place. When all is said an done your visa is only for 2 years and the great unwashed can get 1 year visas without a lot of fuss.

DIMIA is a little more relaxed about students staying on than they used to be but that isn't saying much because until recently everyone had to go home. Period.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Banksia
The educational institution you are headed for should have at least some answers on its website. Here is the reference for the University of Sydney www.usyd.edu.au/su/io. The University of New South Wales hosts even more international students.

International students studying in Australia is now a big business which can't work for the numbers involved unless it's well organised.

If the institution you wish to study at has issued you with an eCOE (electronic confirmation of enrolment) you are as good as in. DIMIA relies on those to be satisfied you have a place. When all is said an done your visa is only for 2 years and the great unwashed can get 1 year visas without a lot of fuss.

DIMIA is a little more relaxed about students staying on than they used to be but that isn't saying much because until recently everyone had to go home. Period.
Thanks for the info Banksia,

I have had my letter of confirmation of enrolement from my course provider, I just wasn't sure if that definately entitles me to the student visa, I am doing a 2 year course with the intention of finishing it within 18 months, then hopefully finding a job, my husband also has a trade which has been recognised through TRA, so at the end of my course we should both have trades and we will apply for residency, well this is our plan and I hope it works.

Thanks for your help, I would love to hear from anyone on a student visa in oz, or who have been on one and have since stayed.

Lisa
:lecture: :lecture:
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be going to Oz in the next 9weeks on a Students Visa, can anyone give me any advice with this, I have applied to London, they said it takes up to 4 weeks to issue the visa, not sure if this is correct, or how quick they will be, I can't book flights or acommodation until I know i definately have the visa, catch 22. Also does anyone know of any good shippers in the Scotland area???? I would love to hear from anyone who has any info or who has gone to Oz on a 2 year student visa, I am a mature student and really hoping once I finish my course i will get a job and be able to stay.

Thanks for any advice
There are some points available for those who have studied in Australia as long as they apply within 6 months of course completion. Please look in the migration booklets for more details and to see if your course meets the requirments.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

mercedes1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am hoping/planning to go out to Oz on a students visa for as long as I can.
I'm too old apparently to get in on a skills visa!

So any help and information and tips greatly appreciated here too!
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mercedes,

I have just applied for my students visa i'm hoping to hear very soon, it's a 2 year visa, if you need any questions answered let me know and i'll try and help as no doubt i'll have come across the problems. we had enough points for the skilled visa but we didn't want to wait so long before we got to oz, so this was the next best way. i'll be happy to help with your questions.

Lisa
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lisa,

Yes a skilled talent visa sounded like it could take so long!
At the moment I'm aiming for July coz courses don't start till then (after February) but can you go earlier to settle in ?
Did you go through an agent to book your courses or direct to the college?
I've been in touch with the TAFE in Geraldton , they do courses I'd like to do and they said I could book direct through them ?!
Did you book one 2 year course , or different courses a year each ?
Is it costing a lot for the course coz TAFE quoted me NOT a lot !
After you get a course are there any other complicated things that need sorting out like references or medical ?
Have you shown a bank book to prove you have like 10k in the bank for now ?

Can you answer any of that lot.
Thanks

Cheers
Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mercedes,

I applied direct to the college for my course, it lasts the 2 years, and cost $15000 for the 2 years. I sent them $1000 deposit and they supply you with a COE (certificate of enrolment), you can't apply for the student visa without this, you also need a medical, and you have to prove you have enouth money in the bank to keep you for the course length, although you are allowed to work 20 hours a week if you apply in oz once your course starts. After the 2 years you apply for a temp visa with full working rights and you get that visa for 6 months to enable you to apply for an onshore skilled residency visa, you must apply within this time, onshore visas are processed within 4-6 months normally.

Hope this helps if you need any more help just let me know.

Lisa
Old Jan 24th 2004, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

harvey2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will your Hubby be able to work in Oz whilst youare studying? Also will you carry on with your appliction for skill visa ?

I hadnt thought of going on a student visa seems a brill idea, we are in very similar situation! What and where are you going to study?
Sorry for so many ? but suddenly quite excited!
Old Jan 24th 2004, 10:33 pm
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am currently in OZ on a student visa, it took two weeks for London to process my application, and even then there was a slight hiccup and I had to send them evidence of more funds.

I am studying a masters degree. This allows my hubby (my dependent) to work full-time and me to work part-time during term time and full-time in the hols. Courses below a masters usually only allow 20hrs for the dependent.

I would read carefully the 'rules' for getting a PR visa after studying.

Only students who have actually studied for two years can apply for the six months bridging visa, 18 months will not suffice. This enables them to stay in OZ so they can apply on-shore for a PR visa. As they have studied for 'two' years they are exempt from the recent work experience in the basic skills test. You still have to get 115 points to get PR.

If you haven't done two years study, its back to the UK for recent work experience. If your partner wants to apply for a skilled independent visa, this is an off-shore visa.

There is also the opportunity for employee nomination for yourself and your partner, but I am unsure whether this can be done on-shore.

Good luck, with your studies :lecture:, Where are you studying, I'm at UNISA in Adelaide.

Tracey
Old Jan 24th 2004, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

Lisa - thanks for that info.
My courses through the TAFE will only cost me about $1100 per year for the course in IT that I want (a bargain !!)
My only concern is that for some reason they might not be 'recognised' courses to allow me in ?? Were you given a list to choose from ? The college seem to think they are , but I've been advised to wait for an official list !

Harvey2000 - I was in your position last week ! Thinking the road to a visa was a long long one, then a throw away line by someone was that I could always do full time study and get a students visa!
As Tracey said , if you study for 2 years there, you then have an easier ride through the skilled persons visa.
Unfortunately , I will be just over 45 when I get to the 2 years , so that one won't work for me !!!!
For 24 hours though I thought it might if I went over and started studying in this semester i.e. having to sort everything out for 2nd February !!!!!
Then realised , no way, so panic over and just aiming for July now.

Tracy - well done , you've got it sorted.
I don't have a hubby to work for me, so I have to finance it all. But I can and will.
And littlun is coming too. He's 9 and apparently his schooling is covered !
How have you sorted out your medical insurance, coz they said I have to do that.

I will therefore be studying and keep on doing so as long as they let me !!!!!! or as long as my son likes it over there !

Any more points from anyone ? Please !

Mercedes
Old Jan 24th 2004, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Harvey200 -

Sorry, forgot to say, I'm planning on studying IT at the TAFE in Geraldton.
There are two one year courses.
Only the 1st one has a July start, so there is a gap of 6 months before the 2nd one (Diploma level) starts and I plan to do a carpentry course then that I've always fancied doing.!

My IT skills that I was trying to use for a skilled visa are on main frame and too old to help now, and my sports coaching would only get me in for jobs working out of school hours - when my littlun wants me around, so thats pretty much out too, unless I get desperate!

What would you study and where are you aiming to go ?

Merc
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:13 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice
Do not know if it different for you but my daughter got her student visa yesterday. London received her application on the23 dec, we found that we have been asked to provide information that was not on the form so it might be useful to find A levels or other qualification certificates in anticipation of this. The proof of funding changed greatly to what we had previously been told. Uni told us and this was confirmed by all other documentation that we would have to show $27000 however london stated $80,000. When asked about the difference it appears to be if you want the visa you comply with what they want. You can not work on this visa you have to apply for permission to work once you have commenced your course (sorry cant remember the visa number ).
Hope this helps

Sarah
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that. The proof of income amount is interesting - I'd better prepare for that one !

Has your daughter just left school/college ? Is that why they might be asking for A level certs ?

I have 20 years work experience in another side of the industry that I hope will be acceptable to them !?

Does anyone know if it is OK to study in regional institutes ?

The official list shows TAFE in Perth but doesn't list TAFE in Geraldton although I know its linked to it and the lecturer says its OK! I need to be sure before applying though !!!??

Cheers
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:52 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mercedes1
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that. The proof of income amount is interesting - I'd better prepare for that one !

Has your daughter just left school/college ? Is that why they might be asking for A level certs ?

I have 20 years work experience in another side of the industry that I hope will be acceptable to them !?

Does anyone know if it is OK to study in regional institutes ?

The official list shows TAFE in Perth but doesn't list TAFE in Geraldton although I know its linked to it and the lecturer says its OK! I need to be sure before applying though !!!??

Cheers
Hi
Yes daughter has just left school, however, for the visa they only ask for the certificate issued by the uni saying you have been accepted onto a courseand commencement date. The uni sees A level certs ect and desides if you are suitable.

As I undersand it all study is privatly funded ie you.

You will need to get Confirmation of Enrolment as you have to provide this for you student visa.

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.