SIM card for UK

Old May 31st 2015, 2:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default SIM card for UK

I have an old-ish Motorola mobile phone, which does me just fine since I left work and handed back the smart phone. All I can do on this phone is make calls and send texts.

I want to get a sim card for this phone to use while in the UK, I'll be making a lot of local calls and the occasional call back to Oz.

I've looked at what's available, eg you can get a travel sim from Australia Post, but I don't know if they cater for people like me who don't need a data allowance.

Clues on what to get, and where to get it, much appreciated. I've left it a bit late to order anything online (leaving in 48 hours), so it'll have to be something I can get locally, or at Perth International airport.

Ta
Old May 31st 2015, 3:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIM card for UK

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I have an old-ish Motorola mobile phone, which does me just fine since I left work and handed back the smart phone. All I can do on this phone is make calls and send texts.

I want to get a sim card for this phone to use while in the UK, I'll be making a lot of local calls and the occasional call back to Oz.

I've looked at what's available, eg you can get a travel sim from Australia Post, but I don't know if they cater for people like me who don't need a data allowance.

Clues on what to get, and where to get it, much appreciated. I've left it a bit late to order anything online (leaving in 48 hours), so it'll have to be something I can get locally, or at Perth International airport.

Ta
Get one there - there will be a shop at your UK airport that will stock them

Also use Skype, WhatsApp, Kik, face time etc

Have fun!
Old May 31st 2015, 6:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ta
Yep, just pick it up when you get there. I've found the best coverage with O2 or Orange (who are now EE)
Old May 31st 2015, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ta
Get a pay as you go there. I've had my UK number going since I left the UK on pay as you go. I picked up a cheap smartphone for 20 quid when I was over in Feb.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup buy one when you land. I'm with O2, my DH is with 3 and we have an EE mifi - they're all OK with payg. Have a good trip!
Old May 31st 2015, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I should add, it will probably be a struggle to call back to Oz at a reasonable cost, though someone might be offering a deal. Best get a Skype or similar account for this purpose.
Old May 31st 2015, 11:29 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

It would be worth you getting a cheap smartphone to replace the motorola, if only to take advantage of maps/travel info, email, BE, etc. on the move. A cheap Moto G or E would probably do you if you don't care about 4G - which you might pick up in the UK.

Either way, make sure its unlocked before you need it....

Ta
OK, well that's late, and it's Perth. If you were in Sydney or Melbourne you could get one from "Sim Corner" at the airport, but you're out of luck with Perth AFAIK.

So you'll have to get one when you get to the UK. I'd suggest a THREE PAYG 321 Sim with £15 top up and then convert to a £15 All-in-one 15 add-on - or just use normal credit (3p per min calls, 2p text). You should find a shop that can help.

THREE with the all-in-one 15 add on has the advantage of 'feels at home' that makes calls in 20 odd countries the same as the UK price. Not sure it makes calls too Australia any cheaper though.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I have a bolt on with O2 which makes calls to Aus comparatively cheap and my DH got a code from 3 which is like a pre-dialling code which makes them relatively cheap too but if you have wifi or data then Skype is the way to go.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
It would be worth you getting a cheap smartphone to replace the motorola, if only to take advantage of maps/travel info, email, BE, etc. on the move. A cheap Moto G or E would probably do you if you don't care about 4G - which you might pick up in the UK.
Definitely second that. I picked up a LG smartphone last time for 20 quid. Can't see it now on the O2 website but they do have this for 30 quid.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/sam...ype=payasyougo
Old Jun 1st 2015, 4:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks heaps Zulu, Polly, Beoz, Quoll and GarryP - your collective blood is worth bottling. I'll pick one up over there, armed with much more knowledge than before

I'll be sure to fit some fun in around the house-hunting - I hope we can find something early on and then just relax
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:39 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, just pick it up when you get there. I've found the best coverage with O2 or Orange (who are now EE)
O2 is great for international users. With a prepaid SIM you are looking at 3p/min. to landlines which is cheaper than making local calls. Plus there is an international Favourites bold-on that gives quite good value for 10 quid/mth: https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/internatio...rs?country=AUS

Not only do you get lots of calls for that but you also get a "call me" number, for instance an Australian one, that you can give to friends & family so that they can call you on your O2 mobile by dialling an Aussie number.

In terms of coverage they are very good, but of course EE literally obliterates the competition in this regard (in most areas though you shouldn't notice any major differences between the two).
Old Jun 5th 2015, 3:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by astera
O2 is great for international users. With a prepaid SIM you are looking at 3p/min. to landlines which is cheaper than making local calls. Plus there is an international Favourites bold-on that gives quite good value for 10 quid/mth: https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/internatio...rs?country=AUS

Not only do you get lots of calls for that but you also get a "call me" number, for instance an Australian one, that you can give to friends & family so that they can call you on your O2 mobile by dialling an Aussie number.

In terms of coverage they are very good, but of course EE literally obliterates the competition in this regard (in most areas though you shouldn't notice any major differences between the two).
Went with O2 pre-paid sim - 3,000 minutes of UK calls, 4,000 sms and 4GB data, 25 pounds. It's perfect - thanks for all the tips.

Just got my feet up after our first day of home viewings. Haven't seen 'the one' yet, but my legs got a good work-out.