Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIM card for trip to UK - good experience

SIM card for trip to UK - good experience

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:38 pm
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute
Default SIM card for trip to UK - good experience

Just back from a trip to the UK with family. At Melbourne Airport got offered a SIM card for the UK from Simcorner. Operates on the 3 network in the UK. $40 for 300 mins, 3000 txts and (most importantly for me) unlimited data. Popped into my unlocked iphone on arrival and worked a treat. One off payment, no extra fees and simply removed and replaced by my Aus SIM on return. Phone shows I used about 6.5GB of data. very pleased and thought I'd share as I was a bit suspicious of the deal initially. Wife decided to wait and buy SIM in the UK and now wishes she hadn't. Would certainly use again.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIM card for trip to UK - good experience

Originally Posted by DML
Just back from a trip to the UK with family. At Melbourne Airport got offered a SIM card for the UK from Simcorner. Operates on the 3 network in the UK. $40 for 300 mins, 3000 txts and (most importantly for me) unlimited data. Popped into my unlocked iphone on arrival and worked a treat. One off payment, no extra fees and simply removed and replaced by my Aus SIM on return. Phone shows I used about 6.5GB of data. very pleased and thought I'd share as I was a bit suspicious of the deal initially. Wife decided to wait and buy SIM in the UK and now wishes she hadn't. Would certainly use again.
Thanks for the info - can I ask if the texts need to be within the UK or can you text home (Oz) ?
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
Hmm, sounds very like :
Three Pay As You Go SIM Card with Adapters: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Three Pay As You Go SIM Card with Adapters: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
which at times has been available for $15.30 (£8.50). Has 'Feel At Home' for no cost roaming across much of Europe.

I'd agree it's a good bet for holidays - but just to say you paid a premium for buying at the airport.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 1:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hmm, sounds very like : Three Pay As You Go SIM Card with Adapters: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics which at times has been available for $15.30 (£8.50). Has 'Feel At Home' for no cost roaming across much of Europe.

I'd agree it's a good bet for holidays - but just to say you paid a premium for buying at the airport.
That's a lot of 1 reviews!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:17 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

UK texts only. Could still receive from Oz of course. Garry - looks similar I must agree but I needed a SIM to use right as soon as we arrived at LHR. My data speeds certainly seemed good and I chewed through quite a bit in a short space of time. Won't be for everyone but worked for me
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
UK texts only. Could still receive from Oz of course. Garry - looks similar I must agree but I needed a SIM to use right as soon as we arrived at LHR. My data speeds certainly seemed good and I chewed through quite a bit in a short space of time. Won't be for everyone but worked for me
Thanks DML
Old Jul 30th 2014, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

windy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

3's deals look like good value, but it would be worth checking their coverage maps. Last time I checked, their Network was good in the urban areas but not so strong in the boondocks.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 12:09 am
DML
Forum Regular

good point windy. I was travelling in the Scottish Highlands including the Outer Hebrides and the cover (esp 3G) was excellent, better than O2 that my wife was using.