Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Silly question I know but.......

Silly question I know but.......

Old May 11th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly question I know but.......

Originally Posted by shiels
Would like to here of everyones reasons for deciding to leave the UK?
To itch the scratch that I've had for last 20 years!
Wanted to go for as long as I can remember, finally got out for a holiday 2 years ago, wasn't really like I'd expected it to be, but made me even more determined to give it a damn good go!
Old May 11th 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Goin' home
Cause I've been away much too long
Goin' home
Going back to the place where my heart belongs
Goin' home
Going back where I left my family
Goin' home
And I hope that they're still waitin' there for me
With thanks to Toto.

In no particular order:

- Because it will be an adventure

- Because we can (I hope)

- Because there is whole big group of relatives over there that I'd like to get to know

- Because we'd like our son to grow up with an Aussie accent

- Because we think we'll be able to live somewhere nicer for less money - or at least somewhere warmer

- Because my husband is really excited about all that wildlife

- Because the postmen wear Knee socks (anything that makes you smile on a morning has got to be a good thing)

- Because they seem to have a bit more of an emphasis on the LIFE bit of work/life balance

- Because to (mis)quote a recent TV ad - when you are dying you are more likely to look back and regret things you NEVER did then the things you did (though even as I type this I can see the flaws in that one)

- Because when ever I see the advert for Australia which ends 'where the bloody hell are you?' I think - in England, in the rain, working too many hours - oh!
Old May 11th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raiz
mine is for the kids too,
the kids we dont have yet,

cant help but think if we stay our kids will become CHAVS eventually.
lol

And the problem with that is????? does not every generation have a thing that what appears all kids become???? I went Gothic at one point, sends a shiver down my spine the things I used to wear.

Try not to judge kids by what they wear or what movement they're in, how kids turn out is usually determined by how their parents bring them up, doesn't matter if they're chavs/Goths/punk whatever it's the values that they're given that really matter.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:50 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Silly question I know but.......

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
And the problem with that is????? does not every generation have a thing that what appears all kids become???? I went Gothic at one point, sends a shiver down my spine the things I used to wear.

Try not to judge kids by what they wear or what movement they're in, how kids turn out is usually determined by how their parents bring them up, doesn't matter if they're chavs/Goths/punk whatever it's the values that they're given that really matter.
If chavs didn't have such a shockingly consistent track record of jaw-dropping violence, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with them.

Goths are fine; sure, they're dreary, pretentious and generally up themselves, but they won't all gather round in a crowd of 20 and kick you to death after sculling 19 bottles of White Lightning.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Silly question I know but.......

Are you Australian born?
Yes, I bloody well am.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:02 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

OTE=Vash the Stampede]Yes, I bloody well am. [/QUOTE]
OH is half Australian, so are going to try for citizenship. Hopefully!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Silly question I know but.......

OH is half Australian, so are going to try for citizenship. Hopefully!
Well, my father was English and my mother's father was English, so I have applied for a British passport.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:09 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my father was English and my mother's father was English, so I have applied for a British passport.
So you'll be a duel passport holder too. His dad was English and his mom was born in Sydney, before the cut off date. of right to citizenship.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We left the UK for numerous reasons

Always wanted to live in Australia (no idea where this ever came from but from being a child it is something I have wanted). We visited in 2003 and that just confirmed that it was something I had to give a go.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Silly question I know but.......

So you'll be a duel passport holder too. His dad was English and his mom was born in Sydney, before the cut off date. of right to citizenship.
Great stuff!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:15 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by mand8002
We left the UK for numerous reasons

Always wanted to live in Australia (no idea where this ever came from but from being a child it is something I have wanted). We visited in 2003 and that just confirmed that it was something I had to give a go.
Hope its all you hoped it would be.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:16 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Great stuff!
Just hope theres no clauses we dont know about!!! :scared:
Old May 11th 2006, 9:25 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Just hope theres no clauses we dont know about!!! :scared:
What like the one where you have to sing waltzing Matilda while walking backwards around your pool every night
Old May 11th 2006, 9:36 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by glennandkate
What like the one where you have to sing waltzing Matilda while walking backwards around your pool every night
Well I'm sure we'd all do that if it gave us citizenship, would'nt we?!!!!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:39 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Because Vash is australian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.