Reload this Page >

The sign of a true Australian

The sign of a true Australian

Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough
Default The sign of a true Australian

Can't resist........

England beat Australia in the one day cricket today. Hoorrah. Absolutely brilliant....in fact we didnt just beat them we whipped their ass

Even when we move out to Aus (from England), I don't think I will ever be able to support Aus over England or Great Britain. After so many years of watching England struggle against the Aussies, I just can't see myself cheering Aus on when they play "the mother country", just becasue I live there.

I know this may sound disloyal to my intended new host country but sporting prejudices is a hard one to overcome. Norman Tebbit once said that the test to see if someone is English is if they support England at cricket. Using that analogy then I would never be able to consider myself a true Australian, though I would support Aus when they play any other country.

Am I the only one that feels like this?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:26 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The sign of a true Australian

Originally Posted by RAG62
Nowt wrong with that. I can imagine meself cheering the green and gold on most of the time but never against England / Britain as you say.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wmoore
Nowt wrong with that. I can imagine meself cheering the green and gold on most of the time but never against England / Britain as you say.
Trouble is , for rugby I prefer NZ to Aus!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:01 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is , for rugby I prefer NZ to Aus!
Ah....
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:06 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Can't resist........

England beat Australia in the one day cricket today. Hoorrah. Absolutely brilliant....in fact we didnt just beat them we whipped their ass

Even when we move out to Aus (from England), I don't think I will ever be able to support Aus over England or Great Britain. After so many years of watching England struggle against the Aussies, I just can't see myself cheering Aus on when they play "the mother country", just becasue I live there.

I know this may sound disloyal to my intended new host country but sporting prejudices is a hard one to overcome. Norman Tebbit once said that the test to see if someone is English is if they support England at cricket. Using that analogy then I would never be able to consider myself a true Australian, though I would support Aus when they play any other country.

If your English mate your English no matter what. The hubby (Australina) is sooo gutted and I'm loving it
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by kala
If your English mate your English no matter what. The hubby (Australina) is sooo gutted and I'm loving it
Hehe Make the most of it I reckon...
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Can't resist........

Hope not! There is nothing worse than a newly arrived Pom suddenly being an aussie twang and all. Jeez you spent what 40 years as a Pom why would you suddenly support Australia. Your a Pom its your blood you might enjoy living in Australia but you wont be an aussie, Youll still be a Pom to an aussie even if you spent the next 40 years over here.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:31 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hehe Make the most of it I reckon...
Not been a bad year though, 1st the rugby then this. We'll keep quiet about the football eh
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:49 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I was in the office bright and early this morning before everyone else.
Printed off the BBC story Super England stun Aussies and stuck it up on the wall.

I don't follow cricket and I'm overly patriotic, but I just know that when the Aussies beat England I'd get no end of stick so it's time for some payback!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Printed off the BBC story Super England stun Aussies and stuck it up on the wall.

I don't follow cricket and I'm overly patriotic, but I just know that when the Aussies beat England I'd get no end of stick so it's time for some payback!
A South African once said to me that the only country they hate playing at sport is Australia. He said, and these are his words, that this is because they 'rub your nose in it when they win, and sulk when they don't'.

Despising most sports as I do, (is cricket a sport? ), I'm not particularly bothered one way or the other, except Footie or Rugby. Like others, I think supporting Aus when they play England or the Republic of Ireland would be one of the hardest and almost unnatural things to do even after years of living there. And I speak as someone who is quite happy to 'go native' in practically every other sense of the word.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris

He he, good idea, thanks for the link. I'm printing a few off myself.

A few months back I slipped in a picture of Martin Johnson holding the World Cup aloft in to a presentation to about 80 people. I did the old "how did that get in there" routine.

Like another poster said if you are a Pommy, you'll always be a Pommy - nothing wrong with that. You can still love Australia, be a citizen and cheer the green an gold against anyone, bar England.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

bmxboon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyk38
A South African once said to me that the only country they hate playing at sport is Australia. He said, and these are his words, that this is because they 'rub your nose in it when they win, and sulk when they don't'.

Despising most sports as I do, (is cricket a sport? ), I'm not particularly bothered one way or the other, except Footie or Rugby. Like others, I think supporting Aus when they play England or the Republic of Ireland would be one of the hardest and almost unnatural things to do even after years of living there. And I speak as someone who is quite happy to 'go native' in practically every other sense of the word.
I dont care who wins what at whatever sport, as long as its not england heheheh!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:26 am
Badge

When England play Australia in Rugby Union I will shout for England.

It's the only sport I care about.

Any other sport, I will admire and folllow the Australian game. (I didn't say I would necessarily support it).

(Incidentally, I tend to support a team because I've been following them, and taking an interest in them; not where they come from. eg I even have a watch over SA when they played Australia in the TriNations.)

BM

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bmxboon
I dont care who wins what at whatever sport, as long as its not england heheheh!

I had problems with the rugby world cup final ..lol. I couldn't support either.. as both are as bad as each other.

I did not want Aus to win ( very bad winners, and very bad losers .. they don't half go on if they win at anything , and if they lose.. talk about whinge! sorry but Aussies are the worst whingers.. they'd give England a goo d run for their money in a whinging game) , I also did not want England to win either .. it's too ingrained in me .. lol

Best thing to do is not watch them and find a pub which hasn't got a TV , and drown your sorrows lol ( it's better than watching a game between the two with little tries) , They are as bad as each other sometimes , it's probably why they dislike each other .. it's like looking into a mirror at themselves. Too alike.

I'm ducking ( minorities are out numbered on this board..lol , they're out numbered in Uk too by around 50 mill English to 9 mill of welsh, Scottish and N.Irish combined )

ahh well...lol ( I've got laugh at it all ,sorry.. if you don't laugh you'll cry ..lol!)

cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ceri

I had problems with the rugby world cup final ..lol. I couldn't support either.. as both are as bad as each other.

I did not want Aus to win ( very bad winners, and very bad losers .. they don't half go on if they win at anything , and if they lose.. talk about whinge! sorry but Aussies are the worst whingers.. they'd give England a goo d run for their money in a whinging game) , I also did not want England to win either .. it's too ingrained in me .. lol

Best thing to do is not watch them and find a pub which hasn't got a TV , and drown your sorrows lol ( it's better than watching a game between the two with little tries) , They are as bad as each other sometimes , it's probably why they dislike each other .. it's like looking into a mirror at themselves. Too alike.

I'm ducking ( minorities are out numbered on this board..lol , they're out numbered in Uk too by around 50 mill English to 9 mill of welsh, Scottish and N.Irish combined )

ahh well...lol ( I've got laugh at it all ,sorry.. if you don't laugh you'll cry ..lol!)

cheers
At least next year there will be no problem who to support with the British Lions Tour of NZ. For once.

Well if Woodward refrains from picking a total english test 15 team.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.