Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Umm yes, if you were coming on holiday or transferring money then you are absolutely correct. But if you are talking about a salary then it is very stupid to assume that £81ksalary is equivalent to A$126k salary.

We currently have a historically low FX rate. If someone took an income at 1.56 x their UK salary they are going to really struggle because expenses are going to be a hell of a lot more than 1.56 times the GBP equivalent.
Hell of a lot?? I just dont see that.. There is nothing to spend money on here:-)) beaches are still free:-)
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laven
I know:-)

So how is that people say 130k in Perth is 180k in London??
Eighty grand a year in the UK, anywhere in the UK, will be financially more comfortable than $130k here in Australia. If you want to dispute that, feel free. I don't think you will find many people backing you up.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It wasn't a dig, just a relection on the fact that $130k pa is a bloody good wage for most people.
I did not mean to suggest that it was not. Mr Bermudashorts earns something around this level and he is a well educated, experienced professional person. I am simply saying that $130k is not the same as £80k. Mr Bermudashorts would have to be much more advanced in his career to pick up £80k in London.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hell of a lot?? I just dont see that.. There is nothing to spend money on here:-)) beaches are still free:-)
Do you live on the beach then? Do you find all your food on the beach?

I live in a house. I shop in the supermarket.

My rent and my shopping is not 1.56 x the GBP cost. Far from it. Fortunately neither is my income so I have no problem myself, but if my income was 1.56 times my UK income then I feel sure I would be struggling.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Eighty grand a year in the UK, anywhere in the UK, will be financially more comfortable than $130k here in Australia. If you want to dispute that, feel free. I don't think you will find many people backing you up.
While Perth might be more expensive than London, its still not 30% more expensive.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Bermudashorts on this one. I earn in the region of what the offer is in $ and would say that it is no where near what i would earn or the lifestyle i would have in the UK where i would earn about 80 pounds. The reason we are here is that i prefer the roster that is operated rather than long haul which we have done before. But i am increasing comming to the conclusion that it isnt worth it. Even though noew i work one week on and one week off and elsewhere in the world i would likely have to go back to 6 weeks on two weeks off.

You would be making a serious cut in lifestyle in rder to move to Australia.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do you live on the beach then? Do you find all your food on the beach?

I live in a house. I shop in the supermarket.

My rent and my shopping is not 1.56 x the GBP cost. Far from it. Fortunately neither is my income so I have no problem myself, but if my income was 1.56 times my UK income then I feel sure I would be struggling.
Do you have a bigger house in Australia than in UK?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

How do you find Perth after London? we are thinking to move Kent / Essex / Surrey for a few years.
I love it here and think Perth is one of the best cities in the world to live.
I used to live in Woldingham, Surrey. It's a nice place - affluent, green, good prospects. The commuting sucks - SE England can be a rat race. The UK is not a country in which I would want to grow old in, or a place I would want to raise my son. All the reasons why we left the UK are still there - the only big difference now is that their economy is toast.

I'm home
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you have a bigger house in Australia than in UK? I live near a beach at the moment, but its temporary.
No not particularly. Do you think I am so stupid that I would not have thought about this?

Three bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, dining room and cinema room. Much the same. Both 45 minutes from the city (london and sydney).

Why do you ask? Are you seriously trying to rationalise why an income of 1.56 x UK would be comparable.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:45 am
Account Closed

While Perth might be more expensive than London, its still not 30% more expensive.
Have you ever lived in the UK?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever lived in the UK?
It's not though. It might be more expensive (on a par IMO) but it's not 1/3 more
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's not though. It might be more expensive (on a par IMO) but it's not 1/3 more
I never said it was, he did. All I did was use the 2.2 conversion that seems to be the rule on here when comparing salaries. If you convert at 1.56, the current FX rate, you will get screwed. Eight one grand x 2.2 is $178k
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

I never said it was, he did. All I did was use the 2.2 conversion that seems to be the rule on here when comparing salaries. If you convert at 1.56, the current FX rate, you will get screwed. Eight one grand x 2.2 is $178k
Cool
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

He? I thought he was a she?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
He? I thought he was a she?
He, she, it. Who knows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.