Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we do it or not

Should we do it or not

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we do it or not

Originally Posted by verystormy
Medical insurance should be paid by the employer for people on 457 visas
Unlikely - they often just stipulate in your contract you must have it so they don't get held responsible for costs you may incur
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I find Brisbane more expensive than Sydney except for housing costs, which is perverse because Brisbane salaries seem lower. As regards the car loan, be sure to get it within three months of arriving or you may have problems on that visa.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

PeterYork will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dave_m13
Ok Little update

I have been offered the Salary of 90k as you all know.

Unfortunately we have very little savings and it cannot be done without any assistance when we get there. So the agent is going back to see whether they could do a lump sum of $10k when we get to brisbane. This however would be a substitute to a payrise, which would have been after 6 months. I personally prefer this.

If we are able to get a loan for a used car, then the monthly amount would be much less than $800. I am going on the assumption that people seem to struggle to get a loan from banks on a 457 visa. $800 is for a new car costing around $30,000

Rent - 2000
Car - 800
Car Insurance - 50
Fuel - 180
Contents Insurance - 41
Food - 1000
Train/Bus - 170
Gas/Electric - 150
Medical Insurance - 250

The relocation stuff sounds good if you can get the 10k (assuming they're paying for all your flights on top of that).

Yes I would have thought you could economise on the car. I don't see how you couldn't get a loan for a used car if you can get one for a new car. Anyway, somebody should be able to advise on this - does anybody have experience of buying a used car on a 457?

Note for the medical insurance - you do not NEED to buy this at all (AFAIK), as a UK citizen you receive medicare coverage, and with a (family) salary of 90k you are under the threshold for the medicare levy surcharge (google this if you are unsure).

People have differing opinions as to the value of private health insurance in Aus. Many get along fine without it. For situations where you need medical care urgently, you will usually receive just as good care in the public system (IMO). In most ways the public (Medicare) system in aus is similar to the NHS: it will cover you for the basics but anything non-urgent has (sometimes long) waiting lists.

However I can understand that with a young family you might want insurance for peace of mind.

Otherwise, if you want to do it - go for it .
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

spoke to a lady who has just come back from Oz after 4 years - she worked as a staff nurse - and she said you dont need to get private healthcare.

which is the opposite to what i was led to believe.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
spoke to a lady who has just come back from Oz after 4 years - she worked as a staff nurse - and she said you dont need to get private healthcare.

She's right, you don't NEED it, but some people think it is a good idea. Eg there are no NHS dentists here and dentistry can be v expensive. Also waiting times for some elective surgery seem very high, probably worse than the NHS. Having said that you might be better off saving the $2000+ a year you spend on insurance and using the money to 'go private' if you ever have to.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

we like to a 6 monthly check up at the dentist so for that reason alone the insurance may be worthwhile.

i like to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to looking after my teeth
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PeterYork
TYes I would have thought you could economise on the car. I don't see how you couldn't get a loan for a used car if you can get one for a new car. Anyway, somebody should be able to advise on this - does anybody have experience of buying a used car on a 457?
Yes, I was told by Commonwealth that I should have bought it within three months of arriving and there was nothing they could do for me. This seems to be a similar story with all the banks. I ended up getting finance through the dealer from Westpac, my LTV was 50% and they charged me a whopping 13.95% interest. I paid it off in lumps in a little over 6 months. 457 visa holders are understandably seen as a flight risk, although in my case I felt a bit ripped off because my equity in the car had them completely covered and the car was comprehensively insured. I most of my savings in Euro unfortunately (or fortunately as I can't touch them except on hols in Europe :-) ).

Last edited by Steve2009; Jun 23rd 2010 at 11:09 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy

You have to pay everytime you visit a GP in Austrlalia , You do get some money back , however you do pay about $25 each time
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Should we do it or not

Originally Posted by MDawson
You have to pay everytime you visit a GP in Austrlalia , You do get some money back , however you do pay about $25 each time
Not if you go to a bulk-billing GP. Then it's free.

BB
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not if you go to a bulk-billing GP. Then it's free.

BB

This is true , however there are not many who bulk-bill these days ...very rare.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterYork
She's right, you don't NEED it, but some people think it is a good idea. Eg there are no NHS dentists here and dentistry can be v expensive. Also waiting times for some elective surgery seem very high, probably worse than the NHS. Having said that you might be better off saving the $2000+ a year you spend on insurance and using the money to 'go private' if you ever have to.
You currently have to get proof of medicl insurance if you go on a 457, in order to get the visa. Whether you keep the insurance going when you get to Aus is another matter of course, but you have to take it out to start with.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave_m13
Ok Little update

I have been offered the Salary of 90k as you all know.

They also offered initial set up costs when we arrive, 4 weeks in an Apartment close to office, as well as arranging a company to assist in finding a rental home, schools etc.

Unfortunately we have very little savings and it cannot be done without any assistance when we get there. So the agent is going back to see whether they could do a lump sum of $10k when we get to brisbane. This however would be a substitute to a payrise, which would have been after 6 months. I personally prefer this.

I have read one of the replies and got me thinking, I made a mistake on the train/bus cost, as everything seems to be weekly, just took the monthly amount to be weekly, it should actually be about $170 and this is for 4 zones, so may be less.

If we are able to get a loan for a used car, then the monthly amount would be much less than $800. I am going on the assumption that people seem to struggle to get a loan from banks on a 457 visa. $800 is for a new car costing around $30,000

Rent - 2000
Car - 800
Car Insurance - 50
Fuel - 180
Contents Insurance - 41
Food - 1000
Train/Bus - 170
Gas/Electric - 150
Medical Insurance - 250

So its looking a little bit better but only if we can get the assistance.

Both my wife and I have already done the WHV albeit 10 years ago. So we both know what its like, I know it will be very different to actually living there.

Thanks again for all your replies
It sounds like the company is offering some support for you. I think your calculations are good. I think the opportunity is a good one too....I'd do it - you can make it if you have the desire to.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You currently have to get proof of medicl insurance if you go on a 457, in order to get the visa. Whether you keep the insurance going when you get to Aus is another matter of course, but you have to take it out to start with.
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-h...isa-holder.htm

"If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501."

As you would be eligible to enrol with medicare almost straight away (within two weeks?) couldn't you just have travel insurance then switch to Medicare.

Sorry, being pedantic.