Reload this Page >

Should we do it or not

Should we do it or not

Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:21 am
Just Joined

dave_m13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should we do it or not

Hi All

Its been about a year since the last time I created a thread about moving to Oz and whether it would be sensible to do it.

Well I have been offered a different job in Brisbane, on a 457 visa and am unsure whether to do it or not. Family of 5, 3 kids under 7.

Salary offered is around $90K + Super, they have also said they will include LAFHA. Based on this I have worked out roughly this to be $6100 a month.

Going through the website and others have worked out the following monthly costs. I have over estimated on a few things.

Rent - 2000
Car - 800
Car Insurance - 50
Fuel - 180
Contents Insurance - 41
Food - 1000
Train/Bus - 800
Gas/Electric - 150
Medical Insurance - 250

Mobile Phone provided
Laptop/Broadband provided

This equates to $5271, leaving just under $1000 for anything else. Some of the items may be quite high so would have more money in pocket.

So would like opinions on whether this could be done, I am trying to get them to pay for some relocation costs at the moment. Have I missed anything in my list or really over estimated on anything?

Many thanks
Dave
Old Jun 11th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should we do it or not

Hi Dave,
My opinion is to do it! We too are going on a 457 visa. We have two boys 8 and 5. It has always been our dream having spent alot of time in Australia. Our decision has been made easier by the fact my Daddy and two sisters live in Oz and i so want to be near them. We are very much in the way of thinking that if it all goes wrong we can come back. We are in our early thirties and the kids are of an age where i think they will settle well and are not at a time in their lives where it will affect their schooling etc. Obviously it is a big decision and a life changing one but for us there is no question. We are also very aware of the risks of going on a 457 visa but we feel it is something we need to do and see if its for us and its very much a now or never situation! My advice is lifes too short and things happen for a reason and if you have been given the opportunity then take it!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Emma x
Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Should we do it or not

Originally Posted by dave_m13
So would like opinions on whether this could be done, I am trying to get them to pay for some relocation costs at the moment. Have I missed anything in my list or really over estimated on anything?

Many thanks
Dave
Mate, the first big challenge for anybody moving to Oz is getting a job, so with that worry out of the way I would make the move.

BB
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Mate, the first big challenge for anybody moving to Oz is getting a job, so with that worry out of the way I would make the move.

BB
I completely agree and wouldn't hesitate to go.

Good luck!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Its been about a year since the last time I created a thread about moving to Oz and whether it would be sensible to do it.

Well I have been offered a different job in Brisbane, on a 457 visa and am unsure whether to do it or not. Family of 5, 3 kids under 7.

Salary offered is around $90K + Super, they have also said they will include LAFHA. Based on this I have worked out roughly this to be $6100 a month.

Going through the website and others have worked out the following monthly costs. I have over estimated on a few things.

Rent - 2000
Car - 800
Car Insurance - 50
Fuel - 180
Contents Insurance - 41
Food - 1000
Train/Bus - 800
Gas/Electric - 150
Medical Insurance - 250

Mobile Phone provided

This equates to $5271, leaving just under $1000 for anything else. Some of the items may be quite high so would have more money in pocket.

Many thanks
Dave
Can anyone in QLD on a 457 visa help Dave out?
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emma75
Hi Dave,
My opinion is to do it! We too are going on a 457 visa. We have two boys 8 and 5. It has always been our dream having spent alot of time in Australia. Our decision has been made easier by the fact my Daddy and two sisters live in Oz and i so want to be near them. We are very much in the way of thinking that if it all goes wrong we can come back. We are in our early thirties and the kids are of an age where i think they will settle well and are not at a time in their lives where it will affect their schooling etc. Obviously it is a big decision and a life changing one but for us there is no question. We are also very aware of the risks of going on a 457 visa but we feel it is something we need to do and see if its for us and its very much a now or never situation! My advice is lifes too short and things happen for a reason and if you have been given the opportunity then take it!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Emma x
This isn't aimed at you personally. You just happened to post the bit about the risks of a 457.

I came on a 457, along with another guy from the same office. For him, PR was never going to be an issue to obtain, so the risks of a 457 didn't apply... or so he thought.

He went for the medicals as part of the PR application and discovered a heart condition. Now he doesn't feel ill in anyway at all and the condition has currently zero impact on his health, but it was still enough for him to fail the medical. Company backs him through the appeals process but it comes to nothing, PR will never happen. So company extends his 457.... right up until the point the redundancies get announced... and all 457's get chopped.

In the four years he had been here he had bought a home, settled his three kids in schools, his wife had a decent job as well.

All finished.. 28 days to get out of the country. He's now back in the UK, homeless and jobless.

Do NOT underestimate those 457 risks. I know I did.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I came over on a 457 visa and was lucky that my employer sponsored me for PR. I was too old to do it any other way, and didn't have the option to go for PR independently. I can't tell you how vulnerable you feel supporting a family as a 457 visa candidate - it sucks and many people come unstuck. If you've a decent employer who will sponsor you after you get here, I'd consider it - or if you just want to give Oz a go for 4 years, and go home - then why not? But don't burn your bridges, and make sure you have a back up plan..
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:14 am
Just Joined

dave_m13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is a difficult one, really. I do not like the fact we could be thrown out of the country in 28 days if things do not work out.

They have said that they would sponsor after 2 years, need to get this in the contract first I suppose. I think my main worry is for the first 2 years. I will not be cutting any ties, will be renting house, may even consider not taking furniture and just rent a furnished property.

So much to think about, I am still waiting to see whether they willl assist in relocation costs. If they do not then this will not happen anyway, as we do not have that sort of money spare.

We want to give it a go but not to the detriment of our way of living, so if the salary is not good enough to live on then I do not want to do it. The same with the costs of relocating, I do not want to have to take loans/CC to pay for things when we get to Oz, there is just no point.

How do people feel about the actual salary, is this something we could live on?

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

IMHO $90K is low - If you have a family to provide for. I came over on more than this, and my hubbie supplemented this with a (low) wage. We are not rolling in money by any means - nearly $3K per month rent (4 bed townhouse 8K from city) and one small car. We have 2 children in state school. One holiday per year (down from 3 per year in the UK) and back to UK once in 3 years for a break.
It's just so expensive here - medical treatment adds up (despite having insurance) - food is 2X the cost, clothes about 2-3X (although I order M&S online) - there's no competition so Ozzies pay much more than they need to -as an example I order my undies mail order from the UK for less than half the price that I can buy them for 5 mins walk from my door! Madness!

Buying shampoo etc takes your breath away - no Superdrug 2 for 1's here.
I don't want to put you off - it's a fantastic adventure, and I'd do it all again - it's just that in the 3 years I've been here, prices have rocketed. I'd say living in Brissie is the equivalent of living in an expensive area in the UK (I'm from the South of UK)
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
IMHO $90K is low - If you have a family to provide for. I came over on more than this, and my hubbie supplemented this with a (low) wage. We are not rolling in money by any means - nearly $3K per month rent (4 bed townhouse 8K from city) and one small car. We have 2 children in state school. One holiday per year (down from 3 per year in the UK) and back to UK once in 3 years for a break.
It's just so expensive here - medical treatment adds up (despite having insurance) - food is 2X the cost, clothes about 2-3X (although I order M&S online) - there's no competition so Ozzies pay much more than they need to -as an example I order my undies mail order from the UK for less than half the price that I can buy them for 5 mins walk from my door! Madness!

Buying shampoo etc takes your breath away - no Superdrug 2 for 1's here.
I don't want to put you off - it's a fantastic adventure, and I'd do it all again - it's just that in the 3 years I've been here, prices have rocketed. I'd say living in Brissie is the equivalent of living in an expensive area in the UK (I'm from the South of UK)
Very wise words you have hit the nail on head. Your opinion is put across really well. It is a great adventure and i would not want to put anyone off, but encourage them to think about their decision really well.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the 28 days had gone up to 90 - I may be wrong here. We came on a 457 and had a nightmare - the company offerred to sponsor but then didn't follow through with all the conditions required. OH was close to 45yr and a few point short and we had a nightmare year trying to get security of PR - lots of threads on here from me about it.

So I really echo come deciding to go back at the end (or prepared to at least), or be sure you can get PR independantly. Also the employer often thinks they need to wait for 2 years but that is only the case when you can't get a skills assessment. If you can do this they can sponsor from day one. Do they know this? If this is an option maybe even consider paying the fees for it if neccessary - you'd have to anyway for a 175.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All

Rent - 2000
Car - 800
Car Insurance - 50
Fuel - 180
Contents Insurance - 41
Food - 1000
Train/Bus - 800
Gas/Electric - 150
Medical Insurance - 250

Mobile Phone provided

Many thanks
Dave
As previous posters have said, make no mistake Australia is an expensive country and to be honest I don't think you have over estimated too much. I have lived here 6 years and still get shocked by prices.

You will pay for kids prescriptions, you will pay for the dentist, you will pay (if you can't find bulk bill) your doctor's visit all things that in the UK for kids are free, my child has asthma and a visit to the doctors and his inhalers is just over $120 a hit, when they have the usual sore throats and ear infections in the winter it adds up.

As other posters have said a 457 is a visa that can be cancelled as you know at any time and it does happen, I also know somebody who was given 28 days to get out...... Just go in with your eyes wide open...... Good Luck
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Not sure if you do, but check whether you'd have to pay for the school fees on a 457 visa. Don't know the situation for QLD or your visa, just know that temporary visa holders in NSW have to pay about $4500 school fees/year for the state schools.

Other than that I'd say that the costs you worked out are definitely livable and I personally would take the risk!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you do a proper mideical before you go so that you know you pass the PR requirements should you be offered it?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

If you already have a job lined up (which is always half the battle), I say go for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.