Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should i go back to the uk?

should i go back to the uk?

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should i go back to the uk?

Before you decide against australia try to live in other citys. each city is very different and you may have a completely different experience somewhere else, personally I would recommend Perth
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1jemma1
Hi,
just thought id ask advise on what to do, if you've read some of my other posts you will know im currently in Melbourne Australia but the job my husband was promised has fallen through. we only came to melbourne becasue he had this job otherwise we were considering applying for canada. now this has happened and we've decided australias not for us as a family were not sure what to do stay or go back to the UK. my husabd is applying for jobs at the moment in australia, canada and the uk and were just waiting to see what come of this but time is running out since flight prices become very expensive within the next week up untill the end of january so if were going back to the uk we need to go as soon as. what scares me though is the fact there is a reccession going on and apparaently the uk is one of the worst to be hit we. what do people think we wshould do go back even though there a recession going on??
What there is a recession in the uk news to me i.e still working 7 days a week, morgage gone down, interest rates set to go to 3%, petrol set to be 80 pence litre, cars you can buy at cost prices nearly, contract to a mobile phone they will give you playstation 3 console plus more free. Vat, taxes,business rates all coming down,inflation set for 0%. I would say uk at the moment the only place to be. Then when the goverment start to reverse every thing to claw back the give aways out comes the visa & i am off.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Totaly agree Eugene. My pay has gone up, groceries ( 2 for the price of one) appear cheaper, petrol yes on the way down, shopping areas packed and the night life just as good as ever. Only noticeable thing is houses not selling and plenty up for sale. And of course the media telling us that we are in such a mess! Apparently we will be better off by £1k by the end of next year because of VAT etc being reduced and other intervention strategies being introduced. Well hopfully by Jan 2010 I'll be off before taxes etc go up to pay for this year's borrowing!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:45 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
maybe look at WA where there seems to be an abundance of work.
Not quite true - its starting here quite rapidly with investment managers closing up shop, job recruitment firms having less jobs on the books, miners canceling alot of expansion projects and mothballing mines, freight slowing on the rail and roads and large infrastuctre projects like ports all put on hold. Gold seems to be holding up at the moment, but its iron ore that makes most of WA's revenue that is getting hit.

We can see the storm and WA will get hit, just its taking a while to get here in full.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:53 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mark213
Not quite true - its starting here quite rapidly with investment managers closing up shop, job recruitment firms having less jobs on the books, miners canceling alot of expansion projects and mothballing mines, freight slowing on the rail and roads and large infrastuctre projects like ports all put on hold. Gold seems to be holding up at the moment, but its iron ore that makes most of WA's revenue that is getting hit.

We can see the storm and WA will get hit, just its taking a while to get here in full.
Very true, those that still live in UK have no idea about the recession in OZ. It is global, not just the UK.

But will they listen....no.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Very true, those that still live in UK have no idea about the recession in OZ. It is global, not just the UK.

But will they listen....no.
And do those who have been in Australia for a few years listen to how bad it is getting in the UK? No.... Another global issue it seems.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: Canberra for 2 days......bored....now Narrabeen on Sydneys northern Beaches
mcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
just thought id ask advise on what to do, if you've read some of my other posts you will know im currently in Melbourne Australia but the job my husband was promised has fallen through. we only came to melbourne becasue he had this job otherwise we were considering applying for canada. now this has happened and we've decided australias not for us as a family were not sure what to do stay or go back to the UK. my husabd is applying for jobs at the moment in australia, canada and the uk and were just waiting to see what come of this but time is running out since flight prices become very expensive within the next week up untill the end of january so if were going back to the uk we need to go as soon as. what scares me though is the fact there is a reccession going on and apparaently the uk is one of the worst to be hit we. what do people think we wshould do go back even though there a recession going on??
I would be tempted to give Australia a chance. I came out here 5 months ago for a possible career in Canberra and i did not like the place after 2 nights. So came to Sydney and got the first job i applied for. It depends what jobs you want? Plenty of job oppotunitys in Sydney and i would of thought Melbourne! it takes a while to settle and get in a routine. i have decided to give it a year. At the end of the day you have to follow your instincts .
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
And do those who have been in Australia for a few years listen to how bad it is getting in the UK? No.... Another global issue it seems.
haha, you're probably right! i am one of those people we never really learn as human beings until we experience it for ourselves.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I don't think it's a question that anyone else can answer unless anyone has come up with a comment that you've not already considered. Go with your gut. Can you get a visa for Canada or is it just 'somewhere else'? If Australia is not for you for more reasons than your husband not getting the job he thought he would then and you have the ability to go, you go. Wherever you go, if you go now before flight prices shoot up for summer (you've got a fortnight), you won't have a job so you have to consider where you want to live whilst job searching. That or sit tight until after January, looking for work and planning the move properly.

You have to bear in mind, it's going to be fairly near impossible to get confirmed work in another country whilst living somewhere else. Why would any company take someone on who's abroad when there are probably lots of people on their doorstep. It's hard enough normally but currently it wouldn't make economic sense for any business to do this.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh..........
Coming to Australia or any other Country, to basically start from scratch is hard.

Do what the rest of us have had to do........find another job. Anywhere you go in the world is not going to offer you "life on a plate"

I remember how depressed I got through not being able to find work as a "gasman" and looked at anything remotely linked with my skills - 200 plus applications and 6 months before I got one, and I would have gone back to the UK where I was self employed with a staff of 20 making a nice little crust, but before I emigrated I had promised I would give it 2 years (good or bad) to settle down

Use the time constuctively whilst job searching - book into Tafe and get your Aus Plumbing Licenses, Plumbing Industry Commission to get your gas ticket, Disconnect/Reconnect electrical license takes 40 hours of training at Tafe - 4 hours per week. I did all these and then landed a job where I didn't bloody need them !!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:11 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

It won't be getting any better here anytime soon.
Not an answer for you, but good to factor it into your decision at least...

Demand for skilled workers falls
http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...24-462,00.html
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

yes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to all

its nowhere near as bad here in england; as made out by the media.
it hard for a few and not a majority.

google all the figures you like but its nowhere near as bad as in previous hard times.
ps
i dont know how aus is feeling.

(sorry if you're one of the affected)
op
surly a few weeks wont make a difference. you gone to the trouble of getting out there, why not give it a go!
you can always apply to canada if that was your desire.

good luck with what you decide.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

should i go back to the uk?...YES
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future

i am sitting here in the gray! manchester does not have weather it has a colour!!! just been shopping in stockport which is grim!!!
very cold and wet!!!!
stay where its warm and people are not ill and full of a cold!!!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon2cairns
i am sitting here in the gray! manchester does not have weather it has a colour!!! just been shopping in stockport which is grim!!!
very cold and wet!!!!
stay where its warm and people are not ill and full of a cold!!!
Like Scotland you mean.Stockport is grim but Manchester is has its charms.Wait till you see Cairns.Glasga housing scheme with sunshine!

You'll have to go or you'll never know.

I prefer Madchester to Geelong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.