Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping - a small guide to the UK end

Shipping - a small guide to the UK end

Old Aug 13th 2006, 3:27 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - a small guide to the UK end

Great post Hutch.

Can I just add though. When you choose who will ship your belongings, ask how long they will be sat in a warehouse in the UK for. Our stuff sat in a warehouse for 4 weeks before being shipped, as John Mason only had one ship sailing that month. 11 weeks down the line, out stuff has arrived in Sydney but is still waiting to be cleared by AQIS.

Also check how far they will transport the goods from port on the Oz end. John Mason originally put 30ks on their quote. I had mentioned to the guy who came to quote, that we would be heading about 80ks south, so they raised the ks at no extra cost.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Great post Hutch.

Can I just add though. When you choose who will ship your belongings, ask how long they will be sat in a warehouse in the UK for. Our stuff sat in a warehouse for 4 weeks before being shipped, as John Mason only had one ship sailing that month. 11 weeks down the line, out stuff has arrived in Sydney but is still waiting to be cleared by AQIS.

Also check how far they will transport the goods from port on the Oz end. John Mason originally put 30ks on their quote. I had mentioned to the guy who came to quote, that we would be heading about 80ks south, so they raised the ks at no extra cost.
I spoke with Robinsons yesterday who are quoting 10 - 12 weeks door to door, seemed excessive to me.
And, she could'nt explain the reason for it.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Forgot I made this thread - glad folks still finding it of use. Couple of extra bits of info:

Part shipments take longer than sole use containers, but there really is no hard and fast rules regarding the time-frame. You may get lucky, have your shipment turn up at the port and it's put straight on a boat - or you may have your container sitting around the docks for a few weeks. The 10 week timeframe is what's happened in our case (part shipment) - it left our home in the UK on the 10th of June, boat docked on the 8th of August, Grace removals due to deliver it here some time week starting 22nd August (depends on how quick AQIS port staff are).

Carefully consider the time of year you're moving to Oz (and of course where). Summer's on the way now, but if you're due to arrive June-August - DO NOT ship your mid-warmth winter clothing if you're heading anywhere south of Brisbane. You probably won't need your thick winter coats, but fleeces, trousers and waterproof jackets will come in very handy. If you've got an electric blanket, bring it - winter days can be lovely, but it gets very chilly at night and you'll undoubtedly be living in a house with no insulation and no double glazing and probably no form of heating beyond reverse cycle. Consider investing in a couple of oil/electric heaters - even on the basic frost setting they'll stop you getting a cold nose in the mornings.

I would like to emphasise my previous advice regarding over-seeing the packing of your shipment. Take the day off work (both of you if you're a couple) and watch your packers at work. If it bothers them or seems to make them uncomfortable - tough. You will find they are far more fastidious about correctly wrapping and conserving space, if you're there watching. They might be incredibly professional, but at the end of the day, it's *your* stuff not their's and they have no idea what you consider precious.

Consider taking a photo inventory of the stuff going into the boxes and make sure you get the names of the people who are packing. If things go wrong you'll be able to tell the head-office precisely who's responsible.

When your stuff's due in Australia, you may not be ready to accept your shipment (smaller rental etc) so consider having it delivered directly to a storage depot and then move the bits you *do* need yourself. Storage costs vary enormously, but typically you're looking at about $600 a month for 300cu ft of space.
Hutch, thanks for these extra tips. Will all be put to very good use in Oct/Nov.
cheers.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

When your stuff's due in Australia, you may not be ready to accept your shipment (smaller rental etc) so consider having it delivered directly to a storage depot and then move the bits you *do* need yourself. Storage costs vary enormously, but typically you're looking at about $600 a month for 300cu ft of space.[/QUOTE]

I have just been sorting this..storage for a 20foot container (size) costs between $142-175 per month in Coffs Harbour NSW. Same in Brisbane (via Uk removals) costs $200-400! :scared:
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:23 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry hutch ,nice thread but a bit dated ,
delivered one box to Aldgate in the Adelaide Hills today $77 AQIS fees for 1 box, Whole shipments are now about $200-$300 in fees .......... mm