Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance

Shipping Insurance

Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Insurance

Hi,
Just need some advice with regards to insurance - currently talking to Letton Percival.

At what point did your cover start and cease? Did it include damage done by movers when packing and unpacking?

Am insuring some high value paintings and fine porcelain artefacts. They have advised that if damaged, the stuff would be repaired where practical, if not then replaced. How can they repair a damaged painting or broken china ware? I'm not sure I'd be very happy with my porcelain stuck back together with glue or stitched up canvas

Any pitfalls I should be aware of? I'm taking plenty of photos to show the condition prior to shipment, to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shipping Insurance

from memory I was going to go with LP as they were cheaper but I'm sure I remember them NOT covering the items from the ship yard to your house might be wrong though, best check with whoever you are planning to use yourselves and shop around.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:41 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

they dont cover packing and unpacking and they dont cover your belongings in storage before or after being shipped

look into the small print
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:44 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...I took insurance and it was granted on the proviso that all the packing was done by the crews. In other words, they won't cover anything that you pack yourself.

Not sure if that helps or not.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

I am not packing anything, Allied will be doing that.

Just want to make sure that any damages while packing and unpacking is covered. Have already asked them to provide a quote separately to include this. If they don't then I'd probably go with Allied's insurance cover.

In any case, I will know of any damage (if any) only on delivery and unpacking. So how are they going to determine where or when the stuff got damaged

I am reading the fine print with a magnifying lens (really!)
Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:20 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Thanks

I am not packing anything, Allied will be doing that.

Just want to make sure that any damages while packing and unpacking is covered. Have already asked them to provide a quote separately to include this. If they don't then I'd probably go with Allied's insurance cover.

In any case, I will know of any damage (if any) only on delivery and unpacking. So how are they going to determine where or when the stuff got damaged

I am reading the fine print with a magnifying lens (really!)
I had one item of high value for which I could have taken extra insurance. You could try looking at that option maybe.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

Originally Posted by IndieG
Hi,
Just need some advice with regards to insurance - currently talking to Letton Percival.

At what point did your cover start and cease? Did it include damage done by movers when packing and unpacking?

Am insuring some high value paintings and fine porcelain artefacts. They have advised that if damaged, the stuff would be repaired where practical, if not then replaced. How can they repair a damaged painting or broken china ware? I'm not sure I'd be very happy with my porcelain stuck back together with glue or stitched up canvas

Any pitfalls I should be aware of? I'm taking plenty of photos to show the condition prior to shipment, to be on the safe side.
We used a company called insure-your-move for our recent shipment to Australia. Our stuff is here but as we haven't anywhere to live it's in store at the moment so can't comment on how it has travelled. You could atleast talk to them and see if they can help you. You do need to list items valued over £750 separately but the price was good. Their underwriters are Royal Sun Alliance.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks.

We have tons of artifacts, paintings, books - have listed every item for their replacement value in Australia even if they are less than $750 in value.

Am waiting for them to revert.

Another thing, what of the movers damage a wall/door of our rental when moving the stuff in? How do we insure that risk?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Just this minute confirmed our own insurance with Letton Percival. The wording of their confirmation email says "covered from the point the goods leave the front door"

Fingers crossed.

They were significantly cheaper than other quotes. 1.6% compared to typically 3%
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Just this minute confirmed our own insurance with Letton Percival. The wording of their confirmation email says "covered from the point the goods leave the front door"

Fingers crossed.

They were significantly cheaper than other quotes. 1.6% compared to typically 3%
Yes, that was what we were told too. Allied has quoted 3.25% and we're not going to take that as it is too high. Will await confirmation from LP...
Old Dec 16th 2010, 5:25 pm
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

We insured with Letton Percival for our move over in 2008. Unfortunately a number of items were damaged so we made a claim for abut $6000+, they sent Loss Adjusters to have a look at the damaged items which was fair enough and after haggling they paid out. So I would insure with them again and they were a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Laights
We insured with Letton Percival for our move over in 2008. Unfortunately a number of items were damaged so we made a claim for abut $6000+, they sent Loss Adjusters to have a look at the damaged items which was fair enough and after haggling they paid out. So I would insure with them again and they were a hell of a lot cheaper.
Thanks for that! What do they haggle about? Surely, if you've insured for the replacement value then they ought to pay out? I've also got a similar quote from another insurer also and so have the two to choose from.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:37 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

They haggled over a top loader washing machine that had a huge dent on the top, they said that it had scrap value and that we would probably get $50 from a scrap metal merchant, so told him to get in his car, come and pick it up and take it to the scrap merchants.

I got my $50 back on the insurance.

As our stuff was being unloaded over here anything that was damaged we wrote on the delivery sheet if it was damaged and then got the removal men to sign the bottom of the sheet, we then took pictures of the damaged items which came in very handy.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all, have decided to go with LP even though they're not covering the packing/unpacking part (will be watching the packers like a hawk...lol).

I will also take photographs of high value items being packed/unpacked. I'd like to be on the safe side in the event of any claim. I don't want any disputes as to whether any item got damaged whilst packing/unpacking.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Left it so last minute had no time to do anything other than use the shippers insurers at 3%. Went for the lump sum + electrical damage (inside the item) + mildue and mould. Not cheap in the slightest (about 25% of the move cost) but it was the easiest option and piece of mind. Recommend giving yourself some time to check out the likes of LP and save some money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.