Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping container and coming on a tourist visa

Shipping container and coming on a tourist visa

Old May 30th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping container and coming on a tourist visa

Originally Posted by RenShen
Goodness me, this thread seems to be taking a turn for the worse. This is really uncalled for. The OP has never claimed his parents to be special and from his post their stay will be covered by a visa and they are not claiming assylum. There are many different routes to permanent visa status and what suits one person may not suit another.

Also, I don't know where you get your information from but I very much doubt that the majority of on shore applicants are over stayers and assylum seekers. Can you support this claim with any proof?

Please, lets all calm down a bit.

Back to the OP, I think the container should be shipped in your parent's name to be above board.
Thanks Renshen , its rather upsetting when you ask a question in rather stressful circumstances looking purely for help and perhaps some reassurance only to be attacked in the process...
I think my parents will have to do just that and maybe ship later on ?
Old May 30th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cornishexpat
Fairplay,i do apologise for the flippant reply,too many night shifts and not enough zzzzz's.
Good luck with it all.
Apology accepted and thanks very much i appreciate it.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Thanks Renshen , its rather upsetting when you ask a question in rather stressful circumstances looking purely for help and perhaps some reassurance only to be attacked in the process...
I think my parents will have to do just that and maybe ship later on ?
Yes, even if its shipped only a couple of days after they arrive, I think it would probably be best.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:34 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I shipped a 20 foot container + 1 dog over to Australia 6 weeks before I left, on MY temporary visa.

Still here tho! ...
Old May 31st 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I shipped a 20 foot container + 1 dog over to Australia 6 weeks before I left, on MY temporary visa.

Still here tho! ...
What makes YOU so special?
Old May 31st 2010, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Still here tho! ...
Bit of a difference between a temporary visa and a tourist visa - at least with a temp you have the capacity to work but a tourist is expected to be a tourist and then go home, they really dont like it if people come in and lie about the nature of their visit.

There are also other things to watch out for - will they meet the balance of family test for the cpv, what will they do about medical coverage while on the bridging visa, what if they fail the medical at the end of the day etc. Also, are they old enough to submit an onshore application (ie over pension age) and will their entry visa have a "no further stay" condition on it. I would have thought it would have been better to have applied for the cpv off shore then come on longer visits until the cpv is granted which I would imagine is what more people do.

Last edited by quoll; May 31st 2010 at 6:35 am.
Old May 31st 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
Bit of a difference between a temporary visa and a tourist visa - at least with a temp you have the capacity to work but a tourist is expected to be a tourist and then go home, they really dont like it if people come in and lie about the nature of their visit.

There are also other things to watch out for - will they meet the balance of family test for the cpv, what will they do about medical coverage while on the bridging visa, what if they fail the medical at the end of the day etc. Also, are they old enough to submit an onshore application (ie over pension age) and will their entry visa have a "no further stay" condition on it. I would have thought it would have been better to have applied for the cpv off shore then come on longer visits until the cpv is granted which I would imagine is what more people do.
Yes, yes and yes... balance met, meds done , right age .. blah blah blah dont worry we have covered all of those bases. ..they are purely doing it onshore so they are able to be in Australia while it is going through rather than stay in the UK..trust me many do it ... When its granted they just leave Australia and come back in to activate it.
It really is just the shipping element that we have to sort out..
Old May 31st 2010, 7:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There was someone not so long ago who said they'd shipped their stuff over whilst on a Tourist Visa but they had bought a house and lived here six months and back in the UK six months. I don't think they mentioned the tax angle though but as they are not PR or even live here full time it could be different. I'll see if I can find the thread though.
Old May 31st 2010, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes and yes... balance met, meds done , right age .. blah blah blah dont worry we have covered all of those bases. ..they are purely doing it onshore so they are able to be in Australia while it is going through rather than stay in the UK..trust me many do it ... When its granted they just leave Australia and come back in to activate it.
It really is just the shipping element that we have to sort out..
So why dont they apply for the cpv and then come in on a tourist visa? I would have thought that was less risky than lying about their intentions when they come in as tourists
Old May 31st 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There was someone not so long ago who said they'd shipped their stuff over whilst on a Tourist Visa but they had bought a house and lived here six months and back in the UK six months. I don't think they mentioned the tax angle though but as they are not PR or even live here full time it could be different. I'll see if I can find the thread though.
Thanks Moneypenny i can always rely on you
Old May 31st 2010, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
So why dont they apply for the cpv and then come in on a tourist visa? I would have thought that was less risky than lying about their intentions when they come in as tourists
They could come and visit doing it that way but would have to live in the Uk until its granted before they can come over permanently.
Seriously though many do it that way , i've met several, and many agents give you that option.Thats why there is the option to apply onshore ..you come on holiday and some just dont want to leave and so apply to live here permanently .. Just because my parents know they will want to do that really doesnt make them any different ???
Old May 31st 2010, 8:29 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RenShen
What makes YOU so special?
Cos my mum tells me I am!
Old May 31st 2010, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moneypenny i can always rely on you
Sorry, it's not use on the tax front but interesting anyway. You could always email or PM Billymacker who may know?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652128