Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Cars to Oz??

Shipping Cars to Oz??

Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Magdaline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Cars to Oz??

OK guys I've read all the low down on your "pride and joys" but I have a 2010 two door Renault Clio Dynamique (With Tom Tom) Diesal that my husband and I are thinking of taking to OZ. We were working on the premise that we bought it new so its maintanence free (neither of us are car fixers) Secondly, at the moment we both earn good incomes (comfortable not "football league") but in OZ we will be having our first experience of being on a "fixed" income (Pensions!!) Right now we can pay for a container so our thinking is to take with us what we need so we can keep our savings intact. All advice welcome...I have broad shoulders!!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:38 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Mike,
OH has a classic BSA bike he's talking about bringing it out with us, do you know much about a:bringing classic bikes over or b:if it's worth anything or even where I would get info from. OH sprang it on me last night, I was hoping to sell the noisy thing lol
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Mike-S will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Magdaline
OK guys I've read all the low down on your "pride and joys" but I have a 2010 two door Renault Clio Dynamique (With Tom Tom) Diesal that my husband and I are thinking of taking to OZ. We were working on the premise that we bought it new so its maintanence free (neither of us are car fixers) Secondly, at the moment we both earn good incomes (comfortable not "football league") but in OZ we will be having our first experience of being on a "fixed" income (Pensions!!) Right now we can pay for a container so our thinking is to take with us what we need so we can keep our savings intact. All advice welcome...I have broad shoulders!!
Personally, I'd say no. Sell it in the UK and buy something here as small european cars aren't really that expensive (albeit they're more than you'd pay in the UK given the current exchange rate). Yes there are Renault cars / dealers here (one about 500yds from my house ironically) but I must say the only Clio's I've seen are the new RenaultSport ones, not the others. Having said that, if you have a container and have the space, then it's really up to you, just bear in mind the import clearance costs & duties payable may make it expensive.

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Mike,
OH has a classic BSA bike he's talking about bringing it out with us, do you know much about a:bringing classic bikes over or b:if it's worth anything or even where I would get info from. OH sprang it on me last night, I was hoping to sell the noisy thing lol
Emma, fraid not, bikes aren't my thing but I'm sure for an idea of value there will be something linked to carsales.com.au that'll help. I do know people who've brought them over though and not found it too hard, certainly easier than bringing a car as they require very little space in a container and of course it's also a classic. I may be wrong here but I think different rules apply to bringing bikes, I know a mate in Perth looked at buying a Ducati in the UK last year and shipping it over, because of the huge cost difference as the ownership rules didn't seem to apply. He didn't in the end though, his wife said no
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:03 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mike-S
Personally, I'd say no. Sell it in the UK and buy something here as small european cars aren't really that expensive (albeit they're more than you'd pay in the UK given the current exchange rate). Yes there are Renault cars / dealers here (one about 500yds from my house ironically) but I must say the only Clio's I've seen are the new RenaultSport ones, not the others. Having said that, if you have a container and have the space, then it's really up to you, just bear in mind the import clearance costs & duties payable may make it expensive.

Emma, fraid not, bikes aren't my thing but I'm sure for an idea of value there will be something linked to carsales.com.au that'll help. I do know people who've brought them over though and not found it too hard, certainly easier than bringing a car as they require very little space in a container and of course it's also a classic. I may be wrong here but I think different rules apply to bringing bikes, I know a mate in Perth looked at buying a Ducati in the UK last year and shipping it over, because of the huge cost difference as the ownership rules didn't seem to apply. He didn't in the end though, his wife said no
Mike,
Thanks, that's a starting point. If I can fit it in my container, would you recommend it or would it hold everything else up and just send it over on its ownsum
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

If it'll fit, then put it in your house container otherwise it'll cost a fortune to ship. The way I saw it with our classic car was that if it goes in the house contents container then its shipping is essentially free

As it's an old bike I would advise draining all the fuel out of it though, I didn't do that with the classic car we had in our house contents container and it's now causing me no end of grief, as the fuel went gooey in the carburettors due to the heat the container experienced on the journey. I'm faced with a pretty big bill here to sort them out so the car will run properly.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Shipping Cars to Oz??

Originally Posted by Mike-S
I didn't do that with the classic car we had in our house contents container and it's now causing me no end of grief, as the fuel went gooey in the carburettors due to the heat the container experienced on the journey. I'm faced with a pretty big bill here to sort them out so the car will run properly.
Ah-ha. I'd been looking out for the car on the local roads and now I know why I haven't seen it.

BB
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Yep. Thought I had it fixed yesterday so went to collect Michele from work in it. Ended up driving past your place to avoid traffic on the way back and keep it moving, it just wouldn't run if sat in traffic. Hoping to get it running properly soon though.

Bloody british classics and rubbish australian fuel
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:58 am
Just Joined

porcup1ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mike

I have recently obtained the rights to move to WA. I would only be doing so in around 18 months from now to fit in with the school year. I was thinking about purchasing something along the lines of a Porsche Cayene, Merc ML or X5, but looking at your choice of vehicle wonder if you would advise that or some other brand? The intention is not to sell (as I realise I wouldnt make a profit), but something that would last us many years.

Do you also know anyone that has had experience shipping new bikes in (broken into pieces for re-assembly there) which I have done to South Africa before and avoided high duties and taxes
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

I wouldn't like to advise on the exact car to bring to be honest, it's all down to personal choice & budget if you're intending to keep it and I'm a massive Land Rover fan (for my sins) hence having the RRS in the UK. I'm told by an importer that if you just want to make money, bring a Bentley Continental GT. Cost bugger all in the UK, yet worth a fortune here and are quite rare.

Based on my experience to date, what I will say is decide just what kind of use you want out of the car in Oz and go from there. If you have intentions to go caravanning / camping / exploring / offroad then don't go for the Porsche / Merc / Beemer. Yes they're capable of doing it but they'll cost a bloody fortune when you break the expensive wheels & tyres We'll be using my car to go travelling in so that also factored in my reasoning for bringing it. Had I just planned on it being a pure road car then out of your list I'd perhaps have gone for the Cayenne, but only if I was looking to sell it and make a few dollars. Just be aware that maintenance costs for the premium brands are at a premium level and check out dealership coverage in the area you're thinking of moving to. Main dealers for the likes of Porsche / BM / Merc / LR aren't as accessible in WA as they are in the UK, so if there's only 1 and they're shit, you're stuffed.

Mitsubishi's & Toyota 4x4's are a similar cost to the UK and the dealers are everywhere, so there's little benefit in buying one of those in my opinion. Land Rover Discovery 4's, Range Rover Sports, Evoques & full size Range Rovers however cost a friggin fortune here when compared to the UK. My RRS was valued at 14k GBP (2006 HSE) so that 'drove' my decision to bring it with me as I knew I couldn't afford to buy one here, a similar one would cost me somewhere in the region of $55-60k from a dealer and would've been a much lower spec. I also knew the RRS would be capable of being our travelling / touring vehicle for offroad work.

I paid duty here last month on a valuation of $19k, as it was valued for duty based on its UK value. This then carried on through to registration, where I paid stamp duty based on the customs valuation, rather than market value. I'd got an indicative trade value from Melbourne Land Rover prior to getting the customs valuation done so that I had an idea of what to expect & what I could shift it for quickly had the need arisen. That valuation was $30k based on not having seen the car, so you can see there's a hefty mark up on the trade versus retail price. It's now insured for $65k, the insurance company couldn't have given 2 hoots whether it was an import or not (and I did tell them it was an import as the HSE spec doesn't exist here in the Range Rover Sport lineup), I just said I wanted agreed value based on replacement market costs and they were happy with that. This business of "it's worth less because it's an import" is cobblers when it comes to luxury cars, that only really applies to run of the mill stuff.

Do bear in mind that the standard specification of an Australian model could be vastly different to the UK model, I've found Aus cars to be a far lower spec than an equivalent UK car, for both my car and my wife's Aus spec Focus XR5 (ST in the UK). The a/c system for run of the mill cars from Europe doesn't cope well once the temperatures get over 30 degrees, I'm not sure how local cars cope as I don't have one. The Rangey's been fine, but her Focus is crap once it gets over 30 degrees, it's just not designed to cope with it at all. I didn't need to degas the air conditioning and it wasn't ever mentioned by anyone in customs, quarantine or anywhere else. Handy that as I'd had it regassed before it left the UK. I did however get stung by quarantine for cleaning it, despite it being pristine when it arrived. "It's a 4x4 and you have foot & mouth in the UK, so I want it cleaning" were the AQIS guys exact words. Given F&M was in 2001 and the car wasn't built until 2005, I gave up on that discussion...

For me, if I was in the same situation again, at the 12 month point I'd be buying the newest / lowest mileage / highest spec full size TDV8 Range Rover I could lay my hands on and bringing it with me. I'd have it fully serviced and by that I mean going further than a normal major service, replace anything greater than 50% worn (brakes, suspension that kind of thing) and put new tyres on it before it left the UK, as all that is much cheaper than having it done here. I probably saved myself about $6-8k by doing everything in the UK, but then I really went to town on it as I didn't want any major bills in the first year of it being here, unless I broke it.

Buy a diesel, not petrol if you've got any ideas of doing a bit of travelling. Resale for diesel engined SUV's here is more than for petrols, same as the UK.

And there endeth the lesson, despite me saying I wouldn't advise on what to bring
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenzi

You must have your air con degassed before shipping.
My aircon wasn't degassed and refilled. It remained the same as it was in the UK. I had it recently done there too!

Don't bother with a steam clean in the UK, they do it again here anyway just to cost you more money.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

porcup1ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike - thanks that helps a stack. Now to find a GT that can tow caravans in the outback and all will be solved