Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Licence Question?

Electrical Licence Question?

Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Question Electrical Licence Question?

Hi - just helping hubbie fill out application for Queensland Electrical Licence (he's allergic to paperwork!). TRA say he's a General Electrician (4311-11). We're stumped right at the beginning of the form though where you have to tick one of the boxes for "type" of electrican - he's an ordinary spark - so how would he be classed in Qld - mechanic or fitter? Steve'o - you may know the answer to this. Anyone else know? Thanks. Michelle
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Licence Question?

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Hi - just helping hubbie fill out application for Queensland Electrical Licence (he's allergic to paperwork!). TRA say he's a General Electrician (4311-11). We're stumped right at the beginning of the form though where you have to tick one of the boxes for "type" of electrican - he's an ordinary spark - so how would he be classed in Qld - mechanic or fitter? Steve'o - you may know the answer to this. Anyone else know? Thanks. Michelle
Although i'm no expert on the exact differences, i believe that an electrical mechanic is more geared towards domestic installations, so if your hubby is a "house basher" put down for mechanic. I don't want to cause a ruckus, but from various forums i have visited, it appears that being graded as an electrical mechanic gives you more options. You could try getting in touch with baldbutts on this forum, he used to post a lot of really good info, and has been around intermittently lately, alternatively try searching for some of his posts. There was a really handy one with a title of "electrical licence- warning little or no humour" or something like that. Get your hubby to look at the trade test and decide if that is what he does!Hope this is helpful.
Lilstewie
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lilstewie
Although i'm no expert on the exact differences, i believe that an electrical mechanic is more geared towards domestic installations, so if your hubby is a "house basher" put down for mechanic. I don't want to cause a ruckus, but from various forums i have visited, it appears that being graded as an electrical mechanic gives you more options. You could try getting in touch with baldbutts on this forum, he used to post a lot of really good info, and has been around intermittently lately, alternatively try searching for some of his posts. There was a really handy one with a title of "electrical licence- warning little or no humour" or something like that. Get your hubby to look at the trade test and decide if that is what he does!Hope this is helpful.
Lilstewie
Thanks a mill - very helpful. Michelle
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:25 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there unfortunately it’s a bit of a mare

Firstly you cannot apply without an Australian Trade Certificate from the TRA,
( don’t confuse this with the approved letter you have from the TRA as that’s for migration purposes only ) to get the cert its back to the TRA using almost the same form as you used for the approval with some more money ( 300 dollars I think ) although if you do already have the approval you can use the approved reference so only half the application form has to be filled in, the other catch is they will only let you apply for the certificate one you have become a permanent resident, ( it sucks I know as QLD safety office did email me saying that they would let me apply for the licence whilst still overseas providing I had the TRA cert the TRA however wont let you apply until your there) talk about the right hand not knowing what the left is doing or what !

if your interested ( mail me ) as I and one or two others on this site have already emailed various safety site TRA etc regarding this and I can forward their replies if it helps

regards Steve
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
Hi there unfortunately it’s a bit of a mare

Firstly you cannot apply without an Australian Trade Certificate from the TRA,
( don’t confuse this with the approved letter you have from the TRA as that’s for migration purposes only ) to get the cert its back to the TRA using almost the same form as you used for the approval with some more money ( 300 dollars I think ) although if you do already have the approval you can use the approved reference so only half the application form has to be filled in, the other catch is they will only let you apply for the certificate one you have become a permanent resident, ( it sucks I know as QLD safety office did email me saying that they would let me apply for the licence whilst still overseas providing I had the TRA cert the TRA however wont let you apply until your there) talk about the right hand not knowing what the left is doing or what !

if your interested ( mail me ) as I and one or two others on this site have already emailed various safety site TRA etc regarding this and I can forward their replies if it helps

regards Steve
Thanks Steve, as always. Have mailed you, but I've just thought - there's no point in getting on to TRA yet then? We have the PR, but sounds like they need you physically in Oz before you can get the cert. So, the upshot is really that you cannot do anything about a licence until you get there?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:19 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve, as always. Have mailed you, but I've just thought - there's no point in getting on to TRA yet then? We have the PR, but sounds like they need you physically in Oz before you can get the cert. So, the upshot is really that you cannot do anything about a licence until you get there?

Hi Ive emailed you guys back
also theres alot of info for most states on this link

http://users.bigpond.net.au/farmsafe.com.au/links.html

have fun

regards steve
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

leezo is on a distinguished road

mechanic- installation spark
fitter- maintenance spark

simple as that

leezo