Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ship car and furniture or start again !

Ship car and furniture or start again !

Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

Originally Posted by Murray family
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to ship your furniture and car over to Australia, or sell it all here in the uk and start again !! I've enquired about 20ft shipping containers and think there may be more costs to taking the car than originally throught. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lisa
Leave the car

Ship everything else
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Murray Family

We are taking a few things in a Move Cube. Here's a list of what we are taking:

Both of my sons beds ( they break down )
Washing machine ( it's new )
1 TV
1 TV bench
3 bikes, not mine it's a pile of junk! Husbands and sons bikes were expensive.
A load of boxes full of all sorts, PS3, kitchen stuff, photos, paintings, I have a lot of original art I want to take with me etc.. But that's about it really...

I would love to take my car and we also have a motorhome that I would love to take,but unfortunately it just costs too much money. Also it seems like a lot of hassle too if I'm honest.

So that's it for us. Just a Move Cube, no pets either, the dog died a few months back.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Murray family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Hi Murray Family

We are taking a few things in a Move Cube. Here's a list of what we are taking:

Both of my sons beds ( they break down )
Washing machine ( it's new )
1 TV
1 TV bench
3 bikes, not mine it's a pile of junk! Husbands and sons bikes were expensive.
A load of boxes full of all sorts, PS3, kitchen stuff, photos, paintings, I have a lot of original art I want to take with me etc.. But that's about it really...

I would love to take my car and we also have a motorhome that I would love to take,but unfortunately it just costs too much money. Also it seems like a lot of hassle too if I'm honest.

So that's it for us. Just a Move Cube, no pets either, the dog died a few months back.
Hi

Can you tell me what's a move cube ? not heard of one. Where are you moving to.

Kind regards

Lisa.

Last edited by Murray family; Jan 14th 2014 at 3:09 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Molly Coddle, I have just looked on the web and I think you may have just solved my problem . Are you moving to the sunshine coast
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

I think the price of a container may have gone up a little since you came out. I have been quoted more. Yes I can see the cost of furniture in Aus is more. Thanks for your reply
I paid £3000 for a full container in 2007. I was going by what people have mentioned on the forum recently. Try John Mason.

BB
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I paid £3000 for a full container in 2007. I was going by what people have mentioned on the forum recently. Try John Mason.

BB
Thank you. I think I may be able to fit my things in a move cube .
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Go through each room and add it up. You will need to at some point for the shipping insurance.

It will surprise you.

Eg. Our cutlery, Sheffield steel bought for our wedding, still going strong 27 years on but would cost over £600 to replace in UK god knows in Aus!
Crockery adds up. Decent analon non stick pans, le crueset, bedding, the extra clothes over the luggage allowance. We didn't fill a 20 foot container and shipped little furniture but added up to £60,000 to replace it all in Adelaide.
Container cost £4500 including insurance sole use.

Also paid for sole use and quicker passage as we wanted stuff quicker.

Bit of a no brainer really!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Leave the car, but ship white goods, mattresses and beds, linen, (called Manchester out here and sizes are not the same as UK,) cooking stuff like le Creuset and cutlery. All that is really really expensive here.

We took a 40 foot container, but had a lot of stuff, and if we had known that our pine furniture would get warped/damaged and either look much too small in our new house (dining set) or too big (wardrobes- most places have built-ins) then we would have donated it to charity and bought new, but that is also costly, so we are gradually replacing bits as and when we can afford it. Just got DD a King single bed now she is 18, and that and the mattress cost $1500.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I love domestics! I equipped a flat in London in 1999 with gear I used for 6 months...Whilst my company housed me... gave it away to aged parents and therefore was destitute when I rented a place in Melbourne.

I therefore gladly accepted an old pissy mattress (maybe, maybe not - safe to assume it was) to kip on and when my wife arrived we moved it into the sitting room.

We carted that mattress into our first house and kipped by the fire on it...then about 2 months later we got around to buying a sofa.....it was a good quality but nonetheless modest affair....a refrigerator/freezer arrived next and all of a sudden, we could hold our heads up in the street.....

the pissy mattress went into the spare room...and we inherited a pissy mattress with a bed left by the previous owners - on which guests slept (little did they know!)

I'd brought over books in a suitcase and we shipped some paintings in a consignment...my wife sold a lot : she regrets selling a table made from an old sewing machine stand...

you win and lose...live and learn...

now 10 years on we still have not discovered any bedside tables worth buying....so I got a wooden box from work...
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Molly Coddle, I have just looked on the web and I think you may have just solved my problem . Are you moving to the sunshine coast

Yeah, the Move Cubes sound like a good idea for those who want to take some stuff but not enough to fill a container or half.

The plan is to fill every last cubic centimeter. With some crap or another! And believe me, I have plenty of it, apparently....

I would love to live on the Sunshine Coast, I love it up there but it all depends on where the husband gets work. We will go where there is work and then take it from there.

Where in Australia are you planning on going? And when? Do you have children? are you mentally prepared? By the way I'm mental but not prepared!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Just got DD a King single bed now she is 18, and that and the mattress cost $1500.
WOW! That must be some bed Caroline.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Yeah, the Move Cubes sound like a good idea for those who want to take some stuff but not enough to fill a container or half.

The plan is to fill every last cubic centimeter. With some crap or another! And believe me, I have plenty of it, apparently....

I would love to live on the Sunshine Coast, I love it up there but it all depends on where the husband gets work. We will go where there is work and then take it from there.

Where in Australia are you planning on going? And when? Do you have children? are you mentally prepared? By the way I'm mental but not prepared!

My husband, 2 kids and myself will be relocating to Kawana Waters in late March this year eeek. I must be mental too and not prepared ha ha . Hope you end up somewhere nice x.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Head says send furniture and stuff, ditch the car though.

However, having accidentally emigrated back with just what I had in a backpack I can say that there is very little I had that I now miss! Good opportunity to declutter
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

My husband, 2 kids and myself will be relocating to Kawana Waters in late March this year eeek. I must be mental too and not prepared ha ha . Hope you end up somewhere nice x.
Ohh excellent stuff! Hope it all goes well for you.

Yeah I have to admit that people who uproot their families, spend ludicrous amounts of money in the process, test their stress levels to the max, push their arachnophobia to the back of their minds, all because they want to try life down-under, must be mental!

But if you don't go you'll never know - that's my logic anyway.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the reviews I wouldn't be buying an entire house worth of furniture from Super Amart.

Very poor reviews

As others have said when you actually sit down and list everything you nee, not just furniture but everything, you'll be surprised at how much it would cost you in Pounds let alone Aussie Dollars. Think of all the kitchen stuff you've accumulated over the years, the stuff you use all the time.

As I said earlier we had a massive clear out before we came across. Sold a lot of stuff, gave away a lot of stuff, binned a lot of stuff. Pretty quickly after we'd arrived we'd wished that we had brought most of it with us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.