Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Several questions

Several questions

Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:17 am
Just Joined

ALW238 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Several questions

Hi all, my husband and I are wanting to begin the process of applying for visas.
My husband is a bricklayer and has been for 10 years. We have 2 children aged 5 & 3 months. We are both 27.

Husbands job is on the skilled migrant list so he is eligible to apply for the 189 visa. Does he need to complete the skills assessment before completing the EOI?

Does anybody know if it would be better, or even possible, to secure a job before our arrival? If not, are there particular cities where gaining employment as a bricklayer would be easier and also nice places to raise a family.

We are planning on renting our U.K. home out initially so would be coming over with around £10k GBP, will this be enough for a bond & first months rent on accomadation or will we need to save more?

Also, if any bricklayers are on here and could advise current price per brick or if they work on hourly rates, that would be really helpful.

Finally, do any other young families that have made the move have any advice or tips for us? It is such a huge step & I am as nervous as I am excited.

Thanks in advance.
Amy
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Several questions

The skills assessment must be done prior to submitting the EoI. You have to include the result as part of the EoI.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

£10k sounds like a lot but in the scheme of things might just be a “scrape by” scenario once you factor in bonds and up front rentals, transport, insurances, sundry setting up stuff etc etc. You should factor in a period of unemployment when you first arrive too - the general advise is that you should bring enough to see you over for 6 months without work. The average salary is hovering around the $80k mark so a nest egg of $40k to see you through would probably be ideal. That will, of course vary with where you end up. Big cities are going to be more of a money drain than smaller regional towns as a general rule.

As for the rest - where to go? It’s a bloody great country and you’d have to be more specific than “family friendly” - the weather is one factor, for starters. I would imagine that being a brickie in 40C is not anyone’s idea of paradise. Chances of picking up a job before you get there are remote and he will probably require specific state licences although I’m not sure on that - I know the other trades need them and they can take a while to come through with the study requirements etc.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I agree with the £10k that it is going to have to stretch far. Our home here in the U.K. is owned with no mortgage so it could be an option to sell, keep some money from the sale in savings and use some to move. Looking at an extra £10k then from your advice, thank you.

Definitely won’t be ideal laying in that heat but it’s something he’s taken into account. On price he definitely won’t be earning as much as he does here at first as he won’t be used to working in that heat. Luckily the trade is booming at the minute so we will be able to keep savings a fair bit whilst the application process goes on.

The man he did his first apprenticeship with after leaving school now owns a large bricklaying firm in Perth. This is what initially sparked our interest as he is still in contact with my husband. I think the best way for us to go will be to get in touch to see if he has work for him and stick to Perth. Roll on the 40 degrees! I’ll also ask him about the licenses; thank you for mentioning that!!

Last edited by ALW238; Mar 8th 2018 at 11:48 am. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:10 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ALW238
Hi, thank you for your reply.
I agree with the £10k that it is going to have to stretch far. Our home here in the U.K. is owned with no mortgage so it could be an option to sell, keep some money from the sale in savings and use some to move. Looking at an extra £10k then from your advice, thank you.

Definitely won’t be ideal laying in that heat but it’s something he’s taken into account. On price he definitely won’t be earning as much as he does here at first as he won’t be used to working in that heat. Luckily the trade is booming at the minute so we will be able to keep savings a fair bit whilst the application process goes on.

The man he did his first apprenticeship with after leaving school now owns a large bricklaying firm in Perth. This is what initially sparked our interest as he is still in contact with my husband. I think the best way for us to go will be to get in touch to see if he has work for him and stick to Perth. Roll on the 40 degrees! I’ll also ask him about the licenses; thank you for mentioning that!!
If you aren't relying on your rental payments to cover a mortgage, I don't think I'd be quite so quick to sell the property - obviously, I don't know what the rental situation is like where you live currently, but if you're going to have income over and above your UK housing costs, then that's always something to top up your savings pot and make it last longer - having said that, I don't think that GBP10k will be enough - with no mortgage, perhaps it'd be an idea to save up a little longer before moving out?

Does the GBP10K need to cover your flights out here too, or do you have that covered separately?
Old Mar 9th 2018, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dreamy
If you aren't relying on your rental payments to cover a mortgage, I don't think I'd be quite so quick to sell the property - obviously, I don't know what the rental situation is like where you live currently, but if you're going to have income over and above your UK housing costs, then that's always something to top up your savings pot and make it last longer - having said that, I don't think that GBP10k will be enough - with no mortgage, perhaps it'd be an idea to save up a little longer before moving out?

Does the GBP10K need to cover your flights out here too, or do you have that covered separately?
That’s a very good point. The rent from our home here would be a good separate income. We’ve a very strong rental market, for the time being at least, as many are struggling to buy.
No, flights would be covered but the £10k GBP will still have far to stretch to cover first months rent & bond and living expenses until my husband starts work. I think you’re right & we would be better saving up more to come out with. Thank you.