Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future
Default Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Hi all

Just to let you know, we are flying today,

Cat and dog went yesterday so all systems are go,

See you at the Barbie

Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:31 am

Caggsy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by storms
Hi all

See you at the Barbie

Safe journey! Best of luck
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

cool good look and see you over there have a good flight
Dave
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

Have a good flight and see you on the "other side"

Pam x
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Moore Family
Hi

He hasn't got a job yet, but has been speaking to a few companies who would like to see him when we get there. They don't seem very interested until you're actually in the country. How are you doing with the job hunting and when will you be arriving?
Keep in touch, i think i will need all the friends i can get as i don't know anyone in Australia and have never even been there before.

Nicky x
We're hoping to be out at the end of January. will wait til we get out there before we look for jobs i think. Been looking through some paper's my brother sent over, seems to be a few in the trades we're looking for.
Defo keep in touch!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

phillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant future

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

have a safe flight.

phillip
Old Aug 9th 2007, 6:13 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

Good Luck & safe journey see you on the flip side

Time really is flying by now

Chris

Old Aug 9th 2007, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

phillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Sorting out shipping stuff and just spoke to Letton Percival, who we are having our insurance through and they do a new policy now that costs 1.6% of the total cost of your valuables + 5% government levy but it now includes mould and mildew cover and pairs/sets cover. I thought this was very reasonable and a lot cheaper than our shippers who charge 3% for standard liability.

Sarah
Hi Sarah

I spoke to crown today as not sure if to go with them or letton, if we want mould and mildrew and pairs/sets cover its going to be 3.7% + 5% gov levy with £100 excess. What have they said their excess is?

The only problem is where does crown liability finish and if you have to make a claim will they blame each other which may hold up your claim.

phillip
Old Aug 9th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon
Hi Sarah

I spoke to crown today as not sure if to go with them or letton, if we want mould and mildrew and pairs/sets cover its going to be 3.7% + 5% gov levy with £100 excess. What have they said their excess is?

The only problem is where does crown liability finish and if you have to make a claim will they blame each other which may hold up your claim.

phillip
Hi Phillip,

They have sent me some stuff today and it say: the rate is 1.60% if professionally packed and includes breakage. In addition there is a 5% gov levy tax. The excess is £100 or 1% of the total value of the consignment excess whichever is the greatest. Storage risks can be covered at an additional 0.2% per month plus insurance premium tax at 5%. All shipments over £40,000 value to be advised to them and if you have a plasma tv.

When I spoke to them on the phone they told me that I would be insured from when the container was loaded and sealed and would have to send them the form before this happened. I think if you insure with Letton then they take over from when it leaves your house and cover you until you receive it at the other end. I am not that worried about a few things being broken, my main concern is if we lost the lot or it went overboard.

They were really helpful on the phone and sent me the form straight away.

Hope this helps.

Sarah
Old Aug 11th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

We have just booked our 2 week car hire for when we arrive. We are having a Ford Focus (or similar) for £250. I think that is really cheap. When we went to Ibiza and had a car for 3 days it cost us £100.

Just got to sort out travel insurance and finish off the shipping insurance and I think we are mostly done.

Sarah
Old Aug 11th 2007, 11:51 am
Just Joined

l5lmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all heading off to Perth Oct / November 2007. We are flying out from Manchester on 23rd October - arrive 24th in Perth. I start work on the 29th (

We will be living in Wellard with friends until we find a rental - looking at Baldivis / Success area. Probably settle south of the river when we buy.

My OH is a painter / decorator and I'm a Snr Business Systems Analyst and we have a son Harvey (4 in Sept).

Good luck to everyone !!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 11:53 am
bev
Forum Regular

bev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Moore Family
Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help, we need to get from Perth airport to Secret Harbour if we hire a car there will not be enough room for us and all of our luggage (8 suitcases) don't really want to hire a big people carrier because its much more expensive. Any ideas?
Hi

Don't worry about booking car hire because of all the luggage, we arrived 5t weeks ago with same amount, there is loads of taxis at airport in various sizes. If u are coming straight down to Secret Harbour you will be about an hour in taxi.(Depending on time of arrival). I am not in Secret Harbour I am renting in Baldivis, moving to Harrington Waters Waikiki in week and a half.
Anyone needing info on anything please ask, i will try my best to help.

Elaine
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

l5lmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paula223
we emergrated from UK Manchester just over 3yrs now
Hi - we're hoping to come to Settlers. Is it easy to get into the city as I will need to commute. I am happy to park and ride if that's an option. Also, are there good day care centres and kindys for my 4 year old?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

My son is a Marmite fanatic!!! I know he's supposed to become a vegimite kid, but don't think that's going to happen just yet!

I was thinking of buying quite a few jars and shipping them out and also taking them in our hand luggage, to keep us going. Any thoughts from anyone with regards to whether this can happen? I thought as long as they were unopened then this would be fine.

regards
sharon
Old Aug 11th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon
Hi all,

My son is a Marmite fanatic!!! I know he's supposed to become a vegimite kid, but don't think that's going to happen just yet!

I was thinking of buying quite a few jars and shipping them out and also taking them in our hand luggage, to keep us going. Any thoughts from anyone with regards to whether this can happen? I thought as long as they were unopened then this would be fine.

regards
sharon
As far as I know you are not allowed to take any sort of food into the country whether it is by shipper or in your luggage. When we went they even sprayed the plane with some sort of anti-bac before we all got off. They are very strict about bringing anything into the country.

Sarah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.