Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

September 7, 2013

September 7, 2013

Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:23 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: September 7, 2013

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Today is the day. Oh God I have to wake up early just to do this.

I went on Thursday night and did mine - there was a short queue at Town Hall - I probably waited no more than five minutes.

S
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:40 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I went on Thursday night and did mine - there was a short queue at Town Hall - I probably waited no more than five minutes.

S
The five of us trooped to the school about 8.30am - only a short queue, much less than I expected and it was about the same length when we came out the other side .. I had been going to vote below the line but there were 110 options! Bugger that!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I looked into this. It's a myth that you only have to attend and not vote. The legislation says that you have literally to vote and put your paper in the ballot box, but because it is a secret ballot (an Australian invention, apparently), there is no way for them to determine who doesn't vote or who spoils their vote. I suppose the choice is ours. I still don't support compulsory voting because a low turnout is a way for a government to get the message that the people feel there is no choice. Australian politicians can never get this message because there is always around 95% turnout.
People who think there are no good politicians or political parties to vote for really should put their money where their mouth is and sand for election or create a political party they would vote for, otherwise this kind of tackle is just hot air. Australia is a pretty good place to live with functioning bureaucracy's a decent economy and the worlds most liveable cities. The politicians here are good enough to vote for.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
People who think there are no good politicians or political parties to vote for really should put their money where their mouth is and sand for election or create a political party they would vote for, otherwise this kind of tackle is just hot air. Australia is a pretty good place to live with functioning bureaucracy's a decent economy and the worlds most liveable cities. The politicians here are good enough to vote for.
What you term 'hot air' is actually people expressing an opinion, it's just an opinion you don't agree with.

Have you ever complained about a public service? Did you consider gaining the necessary qualifications and going for the top job of whatever department it was yourself, so that the job got done your way?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:42 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
The five of us trooped to the school about 8.30am - only a short queue, much less than I expected and it was about the same length when we came out the other side .. I had been going to vote below the line but there were 110 options! Bugger that!
yeah, it was a kilometric senate ballot paper!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
The best candidate the Liberals can offer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrQPXXHUilU
Jaymes Diaz.

Jaymes Diaz. As in JaYmes Diaz.

Why Y? Why Y?
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
And here he is again, Liberal's best candidate, driving home their asylum seeker policy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wWDUqYNdUkY
I still can't get over the fact that his name is spelled Jaymes.
It looks like Greenway, where Jaymes Diaz was standing for the Liberals, is swinging the opposite way to other divisions in favour of Labor... wonder why?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:57 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Y?

(On a side note, his brother Jayson Diaz crashed the campaign vehicle last night on his way to the party.)
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What you term 'hot air' is actually people expressing an opinion, it's just an opinion you don't agree with.

Have you ever complained about a public service? Did you consider gaining the necessary qualifications and going for the top job of whatever department it was yourself, so that the job got done your way?
I think Aussietobe works for the Australian Tourism Board judging by many of his posts