Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by IvanM
So Julia, the Welsh and the Gingers did not burn books. Glad we got that one sorted.

There's an interesting article on Australian Censorship here:

Classification & Censorship

S
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ex_exile
The June 2010 figure was 5.1%, down from 5.8 in June 2009.
At least June is going back in the right direction, but June 2009 was a hell of a blip to base it against.
4.2% Jun-2007
3.9% Jun-2008
6.2% Jun-2009
5.2% Jun-2010

Those figures I am quoting are for Full Time employment, more applicable to most peoples needs.

Your figures include full and part time, which were:
4.3% Jun-2007
4.2% Jun-2008
5.8% Jun-2009
5.1% Jun-2010

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
The first bit of that article puzzles me...

Under Federal law, he was not guilty of a crime, yet a NSW government set him to jail.

It seems from that, that we need the Federal government to take over all laws.

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:01 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

No Lord Sutch.
Lord Lucan lives in Perth.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Lord Lucan lives in Perth.
He did for a bit then it got a bit lively for him so according to Wiki ...

"In August 2007, the Auckland-based New Zealand Herald reported that former Scotland Yard detective Sidney Ball was following up claims that Lord Lucan was living in an old Land Rover outside the township of Marton, apparently with a pet possum, cat and a goat."
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Swerves, the election is clearly not going to be a referendum on the internet filter, even if Gillard is not returned and the filter is killed it will still not get rid of the SA problem that is holding up games classifications. If Abbott is elected there is no guarantee that the Libs wont give us the filter as part of some other moral majority commitment to save us from ourselves *and* you run the risk of derailing the NBN.

Australia needs to discuss censorship and public decency issues together as adults, coupling these issues within the moras of a general election means that this conversation will not happen.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly that is one of the issues birth control will minimise the complications from and it is an issue. In Southern Africa I have read estimates one third of women have been raped. Whether the sex is voluntary or not the cost of healthcare and the extra population is something the nations struggle to afford. In the US "just say no" was promoted by the religious elements there. Studies found that those wearing chastitity rings had a higher rate of unwanted pregnancies as they were less likely to use contraception. Discounting human nature to make policy is like denying gravity when making an airplane.
All I am going to say is that I have Darwinian views on topics such as this.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

*and* you run the risk of derailing the NBN.
That wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:12 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
All I am going to say is that I have Darwinian views on topics such as this.
Darwinian views on rape? Labor = Hitler?

Seriously, I'm going to point out again that this is the sensible Australian election thread.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:14 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
That wouldn't be a bad thing.
Agree - I want faster Internet but I dont want it run by a bunch of Govt civil servants who have no obligation to make a commercial return. I resent spending 43b$ of tax dollars to do so. I'd prefer to have super fantastic hospitals, or super fantastic schools, or super fantastic something else for my 43b$
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by spalen
Agree - I want faster Internet but I dont want it run by a bunch of Govt civil servants who have no obligation to make a commercial return. I resent spending 43b$ of tax dollars to do so. I'd prefer to have super fantastic hospitals, or super fantastic schools, or super fantastic something else for my 43b$
All the above is a fallacy including the 43bn. Sometimes the govt needs to invest in infastructure projects. We would be living in the third world; drawing water from a well and pooing in a bucket if the government hadn't invested in sanitation infrastructure. I'm sure that some people at the time said that it was all a waste of money and all they needed was a newer bucket.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:45 am
ah-beng

All the above is a fallacy including the 43bn. Sometimes the govt needs to invest in infastructure projects. We would be living in the third world; drawing water from a well and pooing in a bucket if the government hadn't invested in sanitation infrastructure. I'm sure that some people at the time said that it was all a waste of money and all they needed was a newer bucket.
Mate thats BS. The water is already there and so are the buckets. The estimates that were quoted range from 35b$ to 43b$. Nobody pays 43b$ for shinier buckets. (oh wait... we are).

There are multitude cheaper ways to do this and it should not be run by a government body.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Under Federal law, he was not guilty of a crime, yet a NSW government set him to jail.

Yes, that was my first thought - Surely s109 of the constitution would have covered this?

If a state law is repugnant to federal law, the federal law takes precedence. Maybe there is some kind of federal - state nonsense over issues of censorship or he just had a poor brief...

S
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:57 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Those politicians just wait till they get to Canberra before they start downloading and buying their reading material. No one else wants to go there. Greedy polis keeping it to themselves.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerves, the election is clearly not going to be a referendum on the internet filter, even if Gillard is not returned and the filter is killed it will still not get rid of the SA problem that is holding up games classifications. If Abbott is elected there is no guarantee that the Libs wont give us the filter as part of some other moral majority commitment to save us from ourselves *and* you run the risk of derailing the NBN.

Australia needs to discuss censorship and public decency issues together as adults, coupling these issues within the moras of a general election means that this conversation will not happen.

I understand this, but I don't think that the government want us to have a mature, grown up debate about it, or any debate about it at all.

They want to stifle any debate on it for fear of it becoming an election issue. Why else did Conroy postpone the legislation pending a 1 year re-examination of the RC ? 1 year happily coincides with the middle of the next federal term when he can introduce his precious filter without fear of a voter backlash.

The SA problem that was holding up the R18+ games rating has long since resigned, and yet we are still no closer to any kind of conclusion either way. Why is this? Again, the government doesn't actually want us to think for ourselves. They want to do it all on our behalf.

Liberal or Labor, they are all just as bad. They want us to live happily in their nanny state paradise, happily munching on our Soylent Green. And the politically apathetic Australian populace will no doubt let them do it...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.