Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:02 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

My vote will be a carefully considered listing of preference with 'the big 2' very near the bottom (just above 'Family First' and any other overtly neo-nazi or uber-christian group).

Generally speaking I think the weak 2 party system in Australia really hurts democracy so I'll do my bit to try and give anyone independant of those parties a chance to throw in a different opinion.

Of course given that there will be 20 or so different parties on the Senate ballot I'll have to do some research into which looneys deserve to be to the top of the list and which looneys deserve to be lower down and I dont have time to stand at polling day ordering the 50 different candidates in the desired order. My solution? As always - postal votes!

Fill in one of these: http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/files/pva-2010.pdf and get sent a postal vote to pour over in good time with the appropriate research tools. It means my voting will be done and dusted a couple of days before the election and I dont have to queue with the other suckers and lose my saturday morning.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
My vote will be a carefully considered listing of preference with 'the big 2' very near the bottom (just above 'Family First' and any other overtly neo-nazi or uber-christian group).

Generally speaking I think the weak 2 party system in Australia really hurts democracy so I'll do my bit to try and give anyone independant of those parties a chance to throw in a different opinion.

Of course given that there will be 20 or so different parties on the Senate ballot I'll have to do some research into which looneys deserve to be to the top of the list and which looneys deserve to be lower down and I dont have time to stand at polling day ordering the 50 different candidates in the desired order. My solution? As always - postal votes!

Fill in one of these: http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/files/pva-2010.pdf and get sent a postal vote to pour over in good time with the appropriate research tools. It means my voting will be done and dusted a couple of days before the election and I dont have to queue with the other suckers and lose my saturday morning.

Yes, my GF and I were discussing doing this yesterday - I see that there are a list of eligibility criteria - none of which are "I don't want to waste my Saturday queuing with the hoi palloi to make a quickly and uninformed decision about what particular bunch of wasters are going to run the country..."

Which one are you going for?

S
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DeadVim
And it isn't all about blocking 'sites', it's the other methods of distribution that mean the whole filter idea as it is proposed is pointless.
Which is what Abbott has basically said, from what I read into everything I have seen.

I suppose compared to many I have it easy. No vote for me, so no worries and no having to even turn up

Until the day that I feel strongly enough to wish to vote for one or the other, I shall stick the way I am.

Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:58 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I see that there are a list of eligibility criteria - ..Which one are you going for?
S
on election day,
you can’t get to a polling place because you:
  • are outside the state or territory where you are enrolled to vote

Thats enough for me - I'm happy to provide a stat. dec saying I'm going to Tweed Heads for the day. But even if that doesnt work then:
  • have religious beliefs that prevent you from attending a
    polling place

ought to cover it - my very personal religious belief being that its completely reprehensible to mix with political wannabes on a Saturday.

Last edited by DadAgain; Jul 19th 2010 at 5:01 am.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:02 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

And it isn't all about blocking 'sites', it's the other methods of distribution that mean the whole filter idea as it is proposed is pointless.

The problem being is if you are seen to oppose it you'll be painted as someone who condones the distribution of this material.

Who am I voting for? Not Abbott's mob but I'm not convinced by anyone else either ... I shall leave my pendulum a-swinging ...
And that is just the sort of comment that the filter will take out!!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Which is what Abbott has basically said, from what I read into everything I have seen.<snip>
Then Old Jug Ears may just scrape some votes from people who prioritise such things. Personally I'd rate having a decent health system/economy/education system higher but that is just me ...

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
And that is just the sort of comment that the filter will take out!!
You should see the stuff I self-censor ...
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

Then Old Jug Ears may just scrape some votes from people who prioritise such things. Personally I'd rate having a decent health system/economy/education system higher but that is just me ...

You should see the stuff I self-censor ...
Well he certainly wants to add to the Education system

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/a...-1225812010013

Why doesn't he just offer to move the Vatican to Canberra?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:06 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coryate

I bet he wouldn't say that know ...
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I bet he wouldn't say that know ...
You never know (no, really, you don't!) - it may have been the 'gospel truth'.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:31 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by bcworld
You never know (no, really, you don't!) - it may have been the 'gospel truth'.
Or was it just an off-the-record-non-truth?

Was it scripted?

Did he have his fingers crossed?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:15 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic, but I think that it would be a great idea to ban politicians from using the following words during an election campaign.

Australia
Australians
Australian families
Australian people

If a ban is not possible, then at least limit them to using the word "australia" no more than once per day.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225894507368
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the "hardworking Australian families" so no one else in the world works hard?

Actually it's something I've noticed with a lot of nations, Americans do it as well but we never seem to keep reiterating the fact we are British in the UK! Maybe Brits just know who they are?

So it's moving forward, moving forward Australians.....
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coryate

For those who haven't followed the link:

All kids must read the Bible, federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says

BIBLE classes should be compulsory so children have a fundamental understanding of Christianity on leaving school, Tony Abbott says.

"I think everyone should have some familiarity with the great texts that are at the core of our civilisation," said the Federal Opposition leader.

"That includes, most importantly, the Bible.

"I think it would be impossible to have a good general education without at least some serious familiarity with the Bible and with the teachings of Christianity.

"That doesn't mean that people have to be believers."

But former Howard government Islamic advisor Dr Ameer Ali, said Mr Abbott's remarks were "over the top".

"It's one thing to say every child needs a good knowledge of history and geography or science," Dr Ali said.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Don't forget the "hardworking Australian families" so no one else in the world works hard?

And of course its only families that work hard, us singles just sit around on our not-so-fat arses, don''t we

=============================

In case this affects anyone - if you have your citizenship ceremony between now and the election, see the sticky thread here. You only have a few days to do it though, hence plugging it in several threads
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:12 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim

So it's moving forward, moving forward Australians.....
May I suggest "Fair Go" should be eradicated as well please.

As in giving some unidentified person a 'fair go'.

I am by no means a jeebus beleiber but I agree with what abbott said, if you are to be intelligent you need to be aware , people should be aware of the bible , and they should be aware of the other texts like the koran , if more people understood the koran there may be a hell of a lot less intolerance and stupidity. Certainly would get more out of reading either of those two than the crap that was forced down my throat in english literature (Rogue Male http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Male_(novel)) about some guy who spent most of his time hiding in a hedgerow was hardly Shakespearean quality and I cant say I used it again in later life except to ponder if our man Moat had been under the same curriculum.

Perhaps we should pander to the lowest common denominator in education too, and remove all reading, then people can all have a fair go at battling at centrelink to get benefits for their hard working families.

I dunno, I prefer costello's candor - I recall with fondness him telling some reporter that he cant give any more tax cuts to the 'battlers' at some income level because they werent paying any tax anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.