Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling/renting out house in UK

Selling/renting out house in UK

Old May 30th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice
Default Re: Selling/renting out house in UK

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I make it quite clear that now we've agreed on a price I will not go to another buyer...but I do want a list of prospective buyers to turn to in case the sale drops through.
Ummmm. Or perhaps you are just waiting for a higher offer!

Best wishes anyway, the market definately seems to have picked up around here the last couple of months!
Old May 30th 2011, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezandem
Ummmm. Or perhaps you are just waiting for a higher offer!

Best wishes anyway, the market definately seems to have picked up around here the last couple of months!
Nope...I believe in karma. Once I've given my word...that's it...unfortunately plenty of other people don't think the same way.
Old May 30th 2011, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

I'm in the process of selling my house in the UK and have instructed the estate agent to actively market and advertise the property until contracts have been signed. The buyer is free to look elsewhere if they wish...why shouldn't I cover myself?
Indeed, why shouldn't you?

I am simply stating what we did.

But, I for one would not bother wasting my time trying to buy a house if I knew the seller was actively trying to sell it to someone else!
Old May 30th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice

Nope...I believe in karma. Once I've given my word...that's it...unfortunately plenty of other people don't think the same way.
Well, I don't believe in karma, but I do believe in keeping my word. Best wishes again!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

AnneLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jon.n.bec
Glad you've been lucky with it, really hope we are, but tbh are in no mad rush so not panicking, (yet!). The sale board went up yesterday, we decided to go with the lowest valuation, so hopefully we will get some interest, who knows. A house in the town that i thought would never sell has just sold after about 3-4 years, so it does happen, just got to get the right people through the door. What fees are you charged in your area, we went with an agent charging 1% and paid £40 inc vat for the epc, thought that all sounded reasonable but really have no idea!!

Good luck with your move, hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.
You got a really good deal we negotiated the Agent down to 1 and a quarter %. Plus our epc was £90 plus vat (robbers). I think if you don't expect to get the valuation price then you'll probably sell ok, it's horrible taking less than what you really think your place is worth but I'm just concentrating on the bigger picture. Hope it all goes great for you too.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

marco88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Indeed as per previous poster, London is doing ok in the high end market because of foreigners buying the expensive properties. However the rest of the UK is not doing so well. Most part of UK have seen house prices stagnate or worse decrease.

If both valuations are very similar then it is likely to be a fair valuation also you could ask for another agent to value the property just to make sure.

Sadly if you need to sell your house quickly you may find that a little difficult as there aren't many buyers around due to the poor economy and mortgage lenders being very careful who they lend to.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I have seen a lot of people on this forum who have been surprised when the offer was withdrawn or changed.
I think people are disappointed and annoyed when a sale falls through, but that does not mean that they do not understand that an offer is not legally binding. Again, I have not met a single adult in UK that is not aware of this.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is, how do strangers know how good your word is? I would want action not words, which would mean no marketing or viewing once I have had an offer accepted. Sellers usually agree, I personally would chose not to deal with one that did not.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Our "buyer" was aware that we would not take the property off the market till she signed on the dotted line. She did know that she was our preferred party and we were giving her the contents too. She is still living in a hotel round the corner from our place and her post has started turning up at ours! So she must have thought till the end that she would proceed. The summer market is much cooler that the flurry of viewings and offers we got in spring.

I dont have the balls for the UK selling process anymore. I am 7 months pregnant with my second child and have broken my leg. So, what seemed importnt a month ago, now seems laughable. I do still dream of a day when we would not be renting anymore. As soon as we are settled in a rental, they start talking about selling it. We in our 3rd rental in 2.5 years in Sydney!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Trouble is, how do strangers know how good your word is? I would want action not words, which would mean no marketing or viewing once I have had an offer accepted. Sellers usually agree, I personally would chose not to deal with one that did not.
Agree. I walked into an Estate Agent once after having had an offer accepted on a flat and happened to hear her on the phone organising a viewing for it. I said I would pull out. The vendor apologised and said the EA had advised him to keep marketing it but I was having none of it.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Agree. I walked into an Estate Agent once after having had an offer accepted on a flat and happened to hear her on the phone organising a viewing for it. I said I would pull out. The vendor apologised and said the EA had advised him to keep marketing it but I was having none of it.
And a different vendor would have said go right ahead and withdraw from the deal if that's what you really want to do. You would, in that case, have had to find a new property to buy.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
And a different vendor would have said go right ahead and withdraw from the deal if that's what you really want to do. You would, in that case, have had to find a new property to buy.
And I would have done.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And I would have done.
A note to sellers. If your property is reasonably priced, I would not be concerned about a potential buyer walking away because you don't take a property off the market based on a legally meaningless offer.

With a reasonable price, another buyer should not be hard to find. (of course, most seller overprice their properties).

Based on anecdotal evidence, a significant % of sales "fall through" anyway, so if you take the property off the market you are exposing yourself to this risk simply for the convenience of a buyer.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
A note to sellers. If your property is reasonably priced, I would not be concerned about a potential buyer walking away because you don't take a property off the market based on a legally meaningless offer.

With a reasonable price, another buyer should not be hard to find. (of course, most seller overprice their properties).

Based on anecdotal evidence, a significant % of sales "fall through" anyway, so if you take the property off the market you are exposing yourself to this risk simply for the convenience of a buyer.
Balls. It's about trust. I'm not going to begin the process of instructing solicitors and paying lots of money for surveys when I know someone is still actively marketing the property and could be tempted by a better offer. You're wasting the time of anyone who comes to view your property anyway unless you have a intention to accept a higher offer should they give one.

I have always taken the property off the market when someone has offered on mine but I ensure that they have at least proof of a mortgage offer. The sooner some regulation was brought in to make offers in some way binding to prevent gazumping and gazundering the better.

Obviously there are folk like you out there but thankfully I've never tried to buy a house from them
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

Balls. It's about trust. I'm not going to begin the process of instructing solicitors and paying lots of money for surveys when I know someone is still actively marketing the property and could be tempted by a better offer. You're wasting the time of anyone who comes to view your property anyway unless you have a intention to accept a higher offer should they give one.
Not really, one could tell them there was a buyer in place but if that buyer fails to complete the deal (as many buyers don't) they will be next in line if they want the property. It's really not about looking for a "higher offer" and it would actually be quite foolish to abandon one serious buyer in favour of another who might also not complete the deal.

I have always taken the property off the market when someone has offered on mine but I ensure that they have at least proof of a mortgage offer. The sooner some regulation was brought in to make offers in some way binding to prevent gazumping and gazundering the better.
You could have the Scottish system as an alternative, when offers are legally binding, but then you're line to waste a lot of money on legal and survey fees to make an offer on a property which can be refused.

There are things that could be done to make offers more serious, for example, requiring buyers to put down perhaps 2% of the purchase price as a deposit in return for the seller being bound not to sell to someone else.

But for now, when an offer means nothing legally, why should a seller place any value on it other than a general intention to do a deal at a certain price?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.