Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling house in UK after 6 years in Oz

Selling house in UK after 6 years in Oz

Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Robcuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling house in UK after 6 years in Oz

I spoke to a UK accountant about this back in 2006 and he told me if you sell your Uk house from Australia ie your living in Australia then you won't pay any tax even if were liable for it as Uk resident.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robcuk
I spoke to a UK accountant about this back in 2006 and he told me if you sell your Uk house from Australia ie your living in Australia then you won't pay any tax even if were liable for it as Uk resident.
Yes, I think we are clear on that (although it is only true after being a non UK resident for five years), it is Australian CGT that is an issue. Well actually no there isn't an issue at all as there is no profit.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes, I think we are clear on that (although it is only true after being a non UK resident for five years),
Does this apply to stocks and share you hold in UK companies via a broker in the UK as well. Only intrested in the UK tax angle as I know the Oz rules.
Left UK in 92 and been carefull since to only sell shares to keep my CG below the UK allowance and so not done a UK tax return since I left.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Does this apply to stocks and share you hold in UK companies via a broker in the UK as well. Only intrested in the UK tax angle as I know the Oz rules.
Left UK in 92 and been carefull since to only sell shares to keep my CG below the UK allowance and so not done a UK tax return since I left.
Yes. You have no liability to UK capital gains tax if you are non-resident, unless you resume UK residence within five tax years of leaving, in which case gains in the interval may then become taxable.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Robcuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of interest what would happen if you were a non resident when you sold the house but then returned to the Uk? Would you be liable for anything upon your return?
Old Sep 21st 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read my post above yours?

More info here.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes, I think we are clear on that (although it is only true after being a non UK resident for five years), it is Australian CGT that is an issue. Well actually no there isn't an issue at all as there is no profit.
Well we still have equity in the house, just that it is less than what it would have been when we left the UK in 2008. Therefore we have lost some of the profit but not all.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
You won't be liable for CGT in Oz as you can rent your PPOR out for 6 years before it becomes an issue.
Remember the CGT if you were liable would be based on the value of the property when you arrived in Oz (worked out using the exchange rate on the date you arrived) in Oz$ and the difference in value of the property when you sold it in Oz$ on the date you sold it.If this proves to be a loss you can keep the loss for use against any capital gain you make in the future.
Gozzey - these are the relevant figures you need to calculate whether or not you have made a gain for this purpose. How much equity you have/had in the property is not relevant.

I don't know about the PPOR exemption in Australia. Kiwipaul - is it right that you can carry forward a capital loss even if any gain would have been exempt (which is how I am interpreting what you say above, but maybe I am reading it wrong)?
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozzey
Well we still have equity in the house, just that it is less than what it would have been when we left the UK in 2008. Therefore we have lost some of the profit but not all.
Equity and profit are two very different things.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by louie
I don't know about the PPOR exemption in Australia. Kiwipaul - is it right that you can carry forward a capital loss even if any gain would have been exempt (which is how I am interpreting what you say above, but maybe I am reading it wrong)?
You simply don't claim your UK house your PPOR you claim it is an investment property and that way you can carry forward the loss. The individual has the choice of how he declares his investments, and in this case they are not taking advantage of the PPOR rights.