Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling house in England. What is the best way to...

selling house in England. What is the best way to...

Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

The Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default selling house in England. What is the best way to...

exchange pound sterling into Aussie dollars to act as a deposit over here?
Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling house in England. What is the best way to...

Originally Posted by The Cumbrian
exchange pound sterling into Aussie dollars to act as a deposit over here?
Thanks
In my experience, the best way is to use a reputable foreign exchange broker. You will get a far more favorable rate than banks will offer you.

I've recently had to move money the other way (Australia to the UK) for a house purchase. Because it was a relatively large sum, I was able to call our FX broker (OzForex in our case) and negotiate an even better rate than the one they offered online. If I'd gone through my bank, it would have cost over AUD$7,000 more to buy the pounds I needed using the broker's online rate, and AUD$6,000 more using the negotiated rate.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 12:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

OzForex......I have never had any issues with them and you can let them give you the rate of the day or you can lock your own in, as it is at the time. I have used to to transfer both ways and always works well.
I did try using my Bank in the UK, Halifax, but there was a 25,000 pound sterling restriction for each day.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was able to call our FX broker (OzForex in our case) and negotiate an even better rate than the one they offered online.
That's a really good tip right there, thanks for that!
Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:14 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That's a really good tip right there, thanks for that!
Sure is! Thanks SoS
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Sure is! Thanks SoS
You're welcome Renth and Paul - I got the tip originally from BE!

When I rang OzForex from the UK, I didn't tell them that I'd already run a spot deal. The first rate they offered me was less than that rate, which I refused, and the second was equal to it. At that point I told them that they'd only matched their online spot deal rate, and I'd be checking another couple of brokers to see if I could get a better rate. Only then did they up their offer. If you're going to call them and negotiate, go in hard
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:16 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of us (as non-UK-residents) selling our UK properties, there is a new UK tax liability:

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax...ntial-property
Old Aug 10th 2015, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of us (as non-UK-residents) selling our UK properties, there is a new UK tax liability:

Glad we sold ours before 5th April 2015.

The screws are tightening.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Glad we sold ours before 5th April 2015.

The screws are tightening.
Looks like we'll escape it too since it only applies to value gains since 5th April. We put our house on the market in May or June and secured a sale last month. But it looks like it'll be a tougher decision for those who are yet to emigrate and thinking of letting out their homes for 5 years or so.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:46 am
Concierge

Ta for the info Paul
Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Ta for the info Paul
You're welcome. 'Glad to return the favour
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we'll escape it too since it only applies to value gains since 5th April. We put our house on the market in May or June and secured a sale last month. But it looks like it'll be a tougher decision for those who are yet to emigrate and thinking of letting out their homes for 5 years or so.
Yes indeed!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:59 pm
Banned

A bit of a pain. My wife and I have to each fill out this form within 30 days of conveying the property:
https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortform...ww.hmrc.gov.uk - whether or not we have a taxable gain (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-...CGT-report-pay).
Old Aug 28th 2015, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

We have used Ozforex and sister company UKforex for moves both ways AUD/STG and STG/AUD without any problems at all; as said make contact with a dealer rather than do it online. HIFX were also excellent (as was the Commonwealth Bank in London but as said a slightly poorer rate with a bank, even it's migration section).
Old Aug 29th 2015, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for letting us know about this! We are slightly over the 30 day notification limit, so we'll see how that goes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.