Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sell your part of Australia

Sell your part of Australia

Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Sell your part of Australia

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I have a friend who is a policeman in Elizabeth - he took great offense when I mistakenly said he lived there.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:37 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sell your part of Australia

I have a friend who is a policeman in Elizabeth - he took great offense when I mistakenly said he lived there. [/QUOTE]

I would,nt be telling too many people that i live in Huntsfield heights either, Formerly HACKHAM WEST............mm
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Sell your part of Australia

Hackham West! I've been there! Definitely the wrong side of the tracks...

Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IndieG
We live in Melbourne, in a suburb called Kew.
Me tooOn the whole I think it's lovely and am happy here but two added gripes for me would be that High Street could do with a little updating in terms of shops (we'll get there, I am sure) and also the council rates and taxes are among the highest in Melbourne I am led to believe..

Oh, and it's too far from the surf coast and it needs a train line..
Hmm, starting to question why I pay so much to live here now

Last edited by Shellfish; Apr 10th 2010 at 4:31 am. Reason: more stuff
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
I live in South Coast NSW.

Advantages:
  • Five minutes walk to the beach (dependant upon footwear choice)
  • Five minutes walk to the river
  • Two hours drive to the centre of Sydney - 90 minutes to Sydney airport - 60 minutes to Wollongong
  • Two hours to Canberra - three to the snow - 20 mins to amazing Jervis Bay
  • Property's v.cheap - four bed, dlug, pool on 800sq for $400k
  • Good schools
  • I don't fish but apparently the fishing's great
  • Plenty of wildlife - wombats, roos, eagles, oh yea and we have dolphins and whales too - oh and hammerheads and white pointers and stingrays
  • Semi-rural area, stunning empty beaches, amazing green paddocks and fields
  • Good surfing beaches
  • Low crime area (unless you happen to fall foul of the local outboard motor crime cartel)
  • Throw a lump hammer in the air anywhere in the district and you'll hit a winery or possibly an outboard motor thief
  • Long history by post-colonial aussie standards - my son's school is 150 years old and the local pub is an old coaching inn that's been there for 160 years.
  • Since it's a fairly touristy area there's shitloads of good cafes and restaurants
  • Four seasons

Disadvantages
  • Influx of weekenders on a Friday/outflux on a Sunday makes those days a motherflucker to travel on
  • There's a train, but it's mind-bogglingly slow and not that much cheaper than a car
  • If you like going clubbing your only chance of a knees up will be to join the depressed looking widows who take up a tiny fraction of the massive dance floor at the bowlo on line dancing night
  • Ear-marked as an area that's going to experience explosive growth over the next decade which I find very depressing
  • Four seasons
Sounds lovely, you've sold it well!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:58 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Port Kennedy near Rockingham South of the river, Perth

5 mins from a spectacular beach. It's great for families who want to paddle/ swim with thier kids, fishing etc it also has a dog section and nudist section too for those inclined-something for everyone.
5 mins in other direction is Secret Harbour beach- great for surfing
Nice mix of old and new housing in the local area.
A reasonable amount of untouched areas of local land for contrast against the new housing being built, you can still buy sensibly priced housing here.
You can drive 10 mins inland and you are in a farming area, the landscape is very different and it feels a world away (some great country pubs here!
Newly refurbed shopping mall with 3d cinema and restaurants.
great wildlife here too; loads of dolphins, rays on the shoreline in the mornings, occasional whales too.Also Penguin Island with fairy penguins and Seal Island next door and yes, the odd shark- but Ive never seen one yet. Bobtails, snakes (only ever seen one) and the birds are great too. Kestrels, ospreys, kites, little eagles, as well as your usual galahs, little corellas, ringnecks,honeyeaters and the odd rainbow lorikeet and spoonbill too. Also Red tailed Black Cockatoos and if you're in the right place at the right time Superb Fairy Wrens in full luminous blue colouring are fab to spot.
Lots of sporting opportunities for everyone locally many clubs around including a very successful swimming club, football for all ages,teeball, softball ,basketball, indoor beach volleyball, many of the martial arts. Also many dancing schools doing everything from latin to street.
We have a magnificent cycling path that runs 16kms along the beach
There are many festivals always going on locally thru spring and summer (wanna get to the chilli festival in Araluen next year)
Perth city is 35min drive
Mandurah is a 20 min drive
Fremantle with all its fantastic history is a 25 min drive
Bunbury,busselton,dunsborough, Margaret River and beyond now quicker because of newly opened by pass at Mandurah.
Swan Valley wine region is 50 min drive
Margaret River
We now have the train that runs from mandurah right up to joondalup
The weather is great too, summer is hot and dry and we have a sensible winter not too cold but cold enough that you can snuggle up in the evenings
Its a really family friendly area

Drawbacks
Its a flat landscape-I lived in the south downs area of surrey when I left so I miss the green rolling hills!
There are some elements of the locals that are a bit narrowminded for my liking
There arent enough trainstations or parking at the stations
They are building on a lot more of the land and i have noticed a decline in some bird numbers
Rockingham foreshore needs a serious rethink in its planning and future development and needs to be updated as of last week!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Beaumaris - Melbourne

Advantages

Minutes to the Bay and only an hour(ish) to surf beaches
Safe - often leave doors unlocked when we go out (not by choice - we just forget - may get burgled on day though!)
Good choice of housing
Good ethnic restaurants and cheap
Great selection of local shops and cafes
Lots of green areas for walking the dog and children to play
Only 35 minutes into city by car or train
Near Chadstone http://www.chadstoneshopping.com.au/home and very near Southland shopping centres
Friendly people - made some great friends with people down the dog park
Good selection of gyms close by and great running areas
Huge selection of golf courses (in the sandbelt)

Disadvantages

Can sometimes appear a long way home from town late at night with a taxi driver who doesn't know the way and smells to high heaven!
No great restaurants nearby
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Pommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to all

Thanks Ozwannabe.....

You have made a 3 year old very happy!!

xx
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:14 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
Thanks for your fast response. hah the Cockatoos were definately loud in the morning when I was in AUS. Never saw black cockatoos or king parrots which are gorgeous.

Where exactly do you live again?

Also curious if you see pythons or any other such reptiles?

Absolutely in love with the unique, colorful, exotic animals of Australia.
We live up in the Dandenong ranges North east of Melbourne.

You leave the city pretty much at Ferntree Gully, and after passing Belgrave, drive through the forest of massive gums, and big ferns. Pass a couple of sleepy towns in the hills, then hit Monbulk.

As far as I know we mainly get brown snakes around here. Its much further north that you get to find pythons (and they can get very big !) Only seen 1 snake so far in the wild, and that was in Koo Wee Rup, and not locally.

Chatting to a supplier in Tassie (he's as rough as guts, real bogan type, but a great guy) and he was laughing about when he went out picking greenery (I work in the cut flower wholesale trade) he had a tiger snake wrap itself round his boot. He is looking forward to the cold weather setting in, so that he can get out and work in the bush without snakes dropping out of trees, and getting underfoot all the time.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:12 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
I would,nt be telling too many people that i live in Huntsfield heights either, Formerly HACKHAM WEST............mm
Where did I say huntfield Heights was a good place to live?

Though I wouldn't try to sell this as a picture of tranquility either...

DAVOREN Park residents are arming themselves with knives

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 10th 2010 at 11:24 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:28 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
We live in Gympie, QLD

Advantages (Yes there are a few!!)
  • Nobody wants to live here as the area has a gun slinging, two-headed mutant reputation which means
  • Cheap housing (brand new 4bed 2bath double garage on new estate 800sq around $350k) and semi-rural acerage blocks are still affordable.
  • Small town where most places still shut on a Sunday including Woolworths, Coles and Big W (might be a disadvantage for some!)
  • Two small hospitals (state and private). The twice I've visited A&E with the kids we went straight through, didn't even sit down!
  • Very, very friendly especially the mutants!
  • Beautiful countryside, very green most of the time with rolling hills and the Mary River running through it
  • Loads of wildlife, kangaroo's and wallaby's on our land and on the school oval
  • You make friends with loads of Aussie's 'cos there are hardly any Poms here
  • An hour to the ferry for Fraser Island which is great for 4wd on the beach and has beautiful lakes
  • An hour to Rainbow Beach which is usually very quiet unless its Summer and you can 4wd all the way down to Noosa
  • An hour to Noosa and most places on the Sunshine Coast
  • 2 hour drive to Brisbane or you can catch the train
  • Good choice of schools, state and private
  • They love their sport here so there are loads of sports clubs for kids and adults
  • Has its own horse racecourse - great day out!
  • Steam train that runs every weekend, local Eisteddfordd, Gympie Country Show
  • and the Gympie Music Muster which runs for a week every year!

Disadvantages
  • It has a highway running through it but not for much longer as a new one has started to be built around the town finishes 2012
  • The river floods a couple of times a year and cuts off half the town but we don't live that side!
  • Not a big choice of shops but we have all the basics and all the fast food restaurants - unfortunately!
  • Entertainment consists of a handful of decent restaurants/pubs, ten pin bowling and a cinema
  • Always having to answer the question "What on earth made you move to Gympie?"

You forgot to tell 'em I live here

Don't know if it's a + or -
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Where did I say huntfield Heights was a good place to live?
You didn't. MM was responding to Vash.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cresta57
You forgot to tell 'em I live here

Don't know if it's a + or -
Definately a disadvantage!!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:32 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Definately a disadvantage!!
Lol I only found your house build thread today, bloody pikeys have moved in, scrap vans up-ended in the driveway already
We'll have to move
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:46 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=coolshadows;8486136]Where did I say huntfield Heights was a good place to live?

Your comment about your mate the copper , insinuated that Elizabeth is not a good place to live .
I have replied with Huntsfield Heights is equally suspect ,having been formerly known as Hackam west, an equally suspect area.
You have replied , with a photo of i assume a derelict service station in Davoren Park , {which has since been demolished ] , i guess i should reply with photos of the rear of the" Colonades" shopping center and graffiti, but i wont bother ...both areas have there problems , lets try and boost south Australia rather than knock it ............cheers mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.