Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sell your part of Australia

Sell your part of Australia

Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:46 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sell your part of Australia

What's great about the area where you live?

What do you love? What is there to do?

What are the downsides?

We'd love to know
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sell your part of Australia

Tas:

Beautiful scenery + + +
Varied wildlife
Friendly people (mostly)
Lack of crowds (have been to beautiful places on public holidays and been the only ones there)
Lots of outdoor activities, eg bushwalking galore, kayaking, sailing etc
Very good local wines, scrummy cheeses, great choice of fish, cherries in the summer to die for! Good restuarants and cafes to choose from.

Downsides for me are lack of decent infra structure - poor roads, no trains, limited public transport, there is a certain "in breeding" in some areas Not so much for older children to do, great for little ones but a bit restricted as they get older, depends on how sporty and outdoorsy they are.

Overall, right now in my life, it's a great place to be. Haven't always thought so and may change my mind again but loving it at the moment

Sam
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Dawesville - South of Mandurah WA.

Love...
Lovelly country side
Feeling of being a nice community
Fantastic beach 30m from the house
Peaceful
Great wildlife
Very cheap housing

Downs...
A bit far from Perth
A bit of a trek to the shops. But keeps OH fit and trim
The pubs arent great
No "good" places to eat in walking distance
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:32 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure they will let me sell Sydney, but I can offer it you for $1 million cash.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

CANBERRA:

Canberra, the capital of the country, is usually underestimated and overlooked by most expats and Aussies. It’s actually a lovely city, small, but lots going on. There is always some festival, exhibition or event on. It has an excellent night life (I’m 25), I think the great nightlife is because there are so many young people here – because of the Universities, Defence Force Academy, AFP Academy, and all the new Public Service employees who are just getting started. So always people about.

It’s like a small town with all the big cities conveniences (shops open on Sundays too, lol). People here have the highest incomes in the country and I think (correct me if I’m wrong) the lowest unemployment rate?

It’s a pretty city; it’s a city in the middle of the bush surrounded by hills and mountains (mountains by Aussies standards, lol... so big hills).

We are only 3 hours from Sydney by car. 2 hours to the coast (although we have pools here so don’t need the beach, lol).

We get the proper seasons, hot dry summer, autumn with orange leaves falling off the trees, cold winters that need the fire or heating on, and spring that you notice the flowers coming and summer on the way.

We are close to the Ski slopes for skiing in the winter. Our Airport can get you to most of the country for weekend breaks, Queensland, Melbourne, WA etc etc.

It’s clean, and seems pretty safe. Has great education – the Top University in the country and southern hemisphere is here, and 16th in the world (ANU). The traffic doesn’t seem that bad compared to other cities.

The houses are really nice and on big lots of land in big established suburbs, they all look nice, and old with character, much nicer than the old houses in suburbs like Sydney or the new box houses in new suburbs (although you can still get them if you want).

Everything is close, no matter what suburb you live in. Everyone here complains about the buses, but I think they’re great – although I don’t get them that much.

People all seem friendly.

To be honest, I can’t think of a downside to Canberra – which is odd considering I’m not a fan of Australia? lol.

Oh oh, downside... they can’t cut hair, every hairdresser I have gone to in Canberra has stuffed up my hair, and I’m a guy who gets a simple back and sides cut!

For people who would seriously think of moving here, here is all the info you need on the move to Canberra website, lol.

http://www.liveincanberra.com.au/moving_here.html

Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:04 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
CANBERRA:

Canberra, the capital of the country, is usually underestimated and overlooked by most expats and Aussies. It’s actually a lovely city, small, but lots going on. There is always some festival, exhibition or event on. It has an excellent night life (I’m 25), I think the great nightlife is because there are so many young people here – because of the Universities, Defence Force Academy, AFP Academy, and all the new Public Service employees who are just getting started. So always people about.

It’s like a small town with all the big cities conveniences (shops open on Sundays too, lol). People here have the highest incomes in the country and I think (correct me if I’m wrong) the lowest unemployment rate?

It’s a pretty city; it’s a city in the middle of the bush surrounded by hills and mountains (mountains by Aussies standards, lol... so big hills).

We are only 3 hours from Sydney by car. 2 hours to the coast (although we have pools here so don’t need the beach, lol).

We get the proper seasons, hot dry summer, autumn with orange leaves falling off the trees, cold winters that need the fire or heating on, and spring that you notice the flowers coming and summer on the way.

We are close to the Ski slopes for skiing in the winter. Our Airport can get you to most of the country for weekend breaks, Queensland, Melbourne, WA etc etc.

It’s clean, and seems pretty safe. Has great education – the Top University in the country and southern hemisphere is here, and 16th in the world (ANU). The traffic doesn’t seem that bad compared to other cities.

The houses are really nice and on big lots of land in big established suburbs, they all look nice, and old with character, much nicer than the old houses in suburbs like Sydney or the new box houses in new suburbs (although you can still get them if you want).

Everything is close, no matter what suburb you live in. Everyone here complains about the buses, but I think they’re great – although I don’t get them that much.

To be honest, I can’t think of a downside to Canberra – which is odd considering I’m not a fan of Australia? lol.

Oh oh, downside... they can’t cut hair, every hairdresser I have gone to in Canberra has stuffed up my hair, and I’m a guy who gets a simple back and sides cut!

For people who would seriously think of moving here, here is all the info you need on the move to Canberra website, lol.

I actually quite like Canberra. I think it's just fashionable to knock it.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:16 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by canadaeh
CANBERRA:

I'm not a fan of Aust either but living in Canberra makes it bearable. I think it is because it is such a cosmopolitan city that it has interests for everyone. All the things you have mentioned are true. We moved to Brisbane for a year and found it too hot and humid. We have lived and travelled all over Australia but Canberra is our favourite. So until we make the big move 'home' Canberra is it.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:31 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

SE Melbourne

We live about

30 minutes from nearest beach
20 minutes from Dandenong ranges (nothing like Dandenong City ) where there is stunning views and walks
15 minutes from Lysterfield Lake park
50 minutes from the city.
2hr drive to the nearest snow area.

There is such a huge variety of things to do provided you put your backsides into gear.

6 years on you do become a bit complacent about it and take it all for granted but we do try and find new places to explore.

The only downside for me is missing family and friends. Other than that nothing of real importance.

Last edited by HUP; Mar 15th 2010 at 2:35 am.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:06 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I am not sure they will let me sell Sydney, but I can offer it you for $1 million cash.
I knew there would be one

Keep them coming - it could be your state, city or suburb!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:15 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the Dandenong ranges, and as mentioned, great walks, views, peace & tranquility but with beaches, city both within just under an hour.

big shopping centres 30 minutes.
snow 1 1/2 hours, great snow 4 hours
yarra valley vineyards 30 minutes
village atmosphere. everybody knows everybody, and is prepared to help (does also have disadvanteges knowing everybody )
almost highest rainfall in Victoria, so almost year round green.
Lilydale lake & Cardinia dam both within 20/30 minutes drive.

disadvantages (minor)
can get a bit cold in the winter due to being 400m above sea level.
all decent high schools all 40 minutes on the bus for the kids.
beaches nearly an hour away if we want to go surfing (but the dirt bike tracks are just over the hill )
You really need 2 cars.
bushfires. Not a major dilemma in Monbulk, but other towns close its a bigger worry.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

For the 2nd two posters I was wondering what type of wildlife you both see?

Cheers,

Shawn
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:00 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
For the 2nd two posters I was wondering what type of wildlife you both see?

Cheers,

Shawn
On a daily basis we see: king parrots, thousands of damn cockatoos and Rozella's.

Not daily but all around us are black cockatoos, wombats, lyre birds, kangaroos and even the occasional wedge tail eagle.

A couple of the most common posionous locals are red back spiders & brown snakes, but you see them very rarely.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

PatchPoole is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunshine Coast -
Gorgeous weather, we are 10 minutes from the beach, most things are within 20-30 minutes, great parks, only an hour from Brisbane airport.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

far north coast nsw

beautiful beaches, rolling green hills of the hinterland, mountain views in the distance.
whale watching in the winter, dolphins all the time, plenty of wallabies and the odd koala may venture into your garden.
2hrs drive to Brisbane and a international airport, under an hours drive to the goldcoast, Byron bay on your door step and most towns have that rural community charm.
if you want a bit of a alternative life style you can grow your own food or make use of the many honesty box`s of those that do, no need to ever buy fruit, veg and eggs from the supermarket.
may have to commute to the goldcoast for work (or even further as lots do).
but house prices are so much cheaper it makes it worth it.
all in all its a very chilled part of Australia. and where alse can you rent a 3 bed town house on the beach for less than 300 bucks a week
Attached Thumbnails Sell your part of Australia-mt-warning%5D.jpg   Sell your part of Australia-pottsville-002779-thumb.jpg   Sell your part of Australia-pottsville.jpg  
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:20 am
Just Joined

blurgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

brisbane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.