Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scone, Denman, Aberdeen - any info

Scone, Denman, Aberdeen - any info

Old May 31st 2012, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Bluefish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scone, Denman, Aberdeen - any info

Would really appreciate any info anyone would have about these areas!!! In particular moving there with young family!

HELP PLEASE!!!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice
Default Re: Scone, Denman, Aberdeen - any info

theres a group on facebook called expats in the hunter. Request to join as sure theres a few members that way.
Les
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Les, cheers for that, but it appears to be a closed group. Still looking for some HELP!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluefish
Would really appreciate any info anyone would have about these areas!!! In particular moving there with young family!

HELP PLEASE!!!
Bluefish,

I can help with the Aberdeen part.

Firstly the traffic is a nightmare, if you are working in town find out which industrial estate the office is based in. If it is Altens for example you want to live South side like Stonehaven or Portlethen somewhere with easier access.

If you are North of the city then you have a few other options.

Aberdeen is not a nice city to be bringing up kids in, apologies to all of my Aberdonian friends however we all know it is true.

There is a large drug problem, you just need to take a walk down Union street to see the number of "Junkies" and beggers to get a flavour for how bad things have become.

You want to be living somewhere outside of town in one of the nicer suburbs within commuting distance of the City.

There are stunning places out West which are a hell of a drive like Alford, Ballater, Aboyne, Banchory etc bear in mind winter months a lot of the back roads are going to be hard work without a 4x4. Rush hour is a nightmare, most people work flexi hours to try and avoid this.

North consider Ellon

Aberdeen has faired well in the Housing Market slump due to the Oil Industry supporting it so don't expect too kind a housing market.

If you can stand the commute somewhere like Carnoustie is probably as far South as you would want to drive each day especially in winter. Plenty of small places in between there and Aberdeen like Laurencekirk to consider.

Not sure what age the kids are but i would base my decision purely on the best schools to give them every chance in life even if they are not at school age yet.

Any other questions you have drop me a PM would be happy to help.

Regards

ScottyB
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:13 am
Just Joined

ScottyB thanks for that, but it is actually Denman, Aberdeen and scone in the upper hunter in nsw.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluefish
ScottyB thanks for that, but it is actually Denman, Aberdeen and scone in the upper hunter in nsw.
Thanks again!
LOL.

Just so you know Scone is in Dundee, Aberdeen is Aberdeen of course and i thought Denman was some new place that had sprung up since i moved on......NSW beats Scotland any day
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Lol yip know of all the Scottie locations, did think that putting it in Aussie thread however that I was safe hehe!!!! I agree there is no contest!!! But wondering if that is also the case if you are out in the sticks and not on the pristine coastline????