Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools-UK vs Oz

Schools-UK vs Oz

Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:30 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools-UK vs Oz

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My youngest had a teacher in year 5 who hated her. Sounds strong and a tad dramatic but when each and every child would come out of the class, come up to me and tell me what the woman had said to my daughter that day I came to believe it was true. She was only a part timer and my daughter was desperate not to be put in another class as she wanted to stay with the children she knew and understood enough to just keep her head down, answer questions if asked but generally not get involved in anything that would put her on the teacher's radar.

Countless meetings with the principal and the other part time teacher led me to believe that Tiddler was working well in the other class and they didn't think it would help her to be moved when she was obviously not at fault. Didn't have a meeting with the bitch in question as I didn't think I would be able to be calm and polite and my daughter was terrified it would make things worse. She was spoken to by the principal on several occasions.

Anyway it wasn't until mid way through year 6 that everyone concerned realised how much damage had been done to Tiddler psychologically. The bitch had retired by this point but the principal and her grade 6 teacher were horrified by how timid Tiddler had become and how she seemed to have forgotten everything she had been taught up to year 5.

She is now in Grade 10, had extra tuition and it's taken all this time to get her confidence and ability back. The tuition was done just to encourage her to realise she is bright, she does know this stuff and to stay positive. We've had our work cut out with constantly having to explain that the info is there, she can talk, she can admit she knows stuff etc etc. It's been a complete nightmare in terms of watching her struggle when we knew if it hadn't been for the bitch demeaning her constantly that she would have been one of the brightest kids with the strength to go where she wanted in life.

We're getting there, she's not the girl she was a few years ago, she's back to being outgoing and fun and positive but if I'd known then what I know now, I would have got her moved regardless of what she wanted and what the school advised.

In short, if you're not happy, shout, scream and do something. Don't be fobbed off, don't accept anything other than what you expect the 'experts' to do for your child. The damage can take a long time to show itself and by then, without a massive amount of work, it could be too late.

I do wonder why some people go into teaching! My youngest daughter decided when she was six that she was 'no good at maths' after her teacher came out to me in the playground at pick up time and said very loudly in front of C, 'Well, she's an excellent reader, which is good because her maths is so weak'! I could have strangled her. Not because I thought she was wrong, but because I knew what it would do to my daughter's confidence. And I was right.

I really feel for your daughter, moneypenny. I have come back to the uk without my husband, so our girls can finish their education at their old school because they were so unhappy at their new one. My eldest girl (aged 14) was having problems settling and her grades were suffering as a result. When we went to parents evening her maths teacher just said, 'Well, I don't suppose you'd be surprised to hear she's failing?'. I told him that I thought she was suffering a bit and we should just give her a bit of time to find her feet, at which he said, 'Well, no, she's just thick and doesn't get it'. I'm not sure how I managed to stop myself from slapping him. To make it worse he went into the lesson the next day and said, in front of the whole class 'I spoke to your parents last night and I have to say I don't agree with a word they said. I hear you're finding it hard to settle, well so did I. I hear you don't really like me, well I don't like you, get over yourself'!!! It wasn't my daughter who told me this, another girl had gone home and told her mother, who then phoned me. I wanted to go to the principal about it, but was warned by several other parents that I shouldn't because she would always back her teachers and it would make E's life more difficult, so we just voted with our feet. Fortunately my daughter is quite a robust character and thought this teacher was an idiot, but for someone more fragile it would have been devastating.

Poppet - I hope you get somewhere with your meeting. Ask lots of questions and don't accept platitudes. I can't believe some teachers when they say they don't have time to do things, especially when their colleagues seem to find the time. The maths dept at my girls' Aus school said they didn't have time to mark homework, so what was the point of doing it.?! A year 1 teacher should have time to listen to reading, most do!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wooah
I have found this useful link on this forum but I was wondering if anyone could give me an insight in to how Australian state schools (equivalent to infant/primary schools) compare to ones in UK.

The reason I ask is that my eldest son is not even 5 but is years ahead of his peers in many areas. The school he goes to now is not capable of challenging him and we could never afford a private education. And it looks like his brother is going to be equally intelligent.

From living in Australia before I found people generally fairly laid back and I wonder if this translates to schools and whether the schools would have the resources to be able to bring the best out in him.

Thanks,
V.
From our personal experience our 2 boys are way ahead of most of their class mates and not being stretched even though they are in the talented & gifted group.
Resources, simply depends on where you live & what school kids go to. Some schools have very very little in the way of resources.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

By the sounds of it it is not just a matter of a good school it also depends on a good teacher, which can vary from year to year.

I am sure it was much easier when I was a kid