Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Sydney

Schools in Sydney

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Sydney

You only need a house by the sea if you are going to be there every day. We live 20 mins from the sea, and (after going a lot in the first year), we only go 3 or 4 times a year. We have a 4 bedder with pool, and it is much easier just to jump in that. We live on the border of the north shore/northern beaches, 40 mins from the CBD in a family- oriented suburb. 15 mins to big shopping centres, but only 5 from the "village" shopping mall. Although DD goes to private school, there are very good public schools in the area too.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
You only need a house by the sea if you are going to be there every day. We live 20 mins from the sea, and (after going a lot in the first year), we only go 3 or 4 times a year. We have a 4 bedder with pool, and it is much easier just to jump in that. We live on the border of the north shore/northern beaches, 40 mins from the CBD in a family- oriented suburb. 15 mins to big shopping centres, but only 5 from the "village" shopping mall. Although DD goes to private school, there are very good public schools in the area too.
Agree with that.

Sounds like St Ives/Hornsby area!!!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Agree with that.

Sounds like St Ives/Hornsby area!!!
Spot on!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice

Originally Posted by CatarinaKnight
Hello
I am looking at renting a property in a location near the beach. As I have two children going to secondary school and one to primary, one of my main concerns is to find good public schools. Can anyone recommend good public schools in any of the areas below?
- Balgowla
- Brighton-le-sands
- Bronte
- Collaroy
- Narraweena
- Cronulla
- Dee Why
- Maroubra
- Mona Vale
- Rose Bay
- Sans Souci
- Vaucluse
Thank you, Catarina
Hi,
We're in South Eastern Suburbs close to Maroubra, 40-45 mins bus ride to CBD. Public primary schools I'd recommend are Maroubra Junction and South Coogee (would need to find a property in their 'zone' though as they rarely take out of area). For High Schools, you could try Randwick Boys \ Randwick Girls - I've heard good and bad about both.
Like someone else mentioned, many people in this area opt for Private education for High School. Catholic Schooling is popular.
You may find this boils down to property availability too - when we arrived I had a specific location and school set in my mind but just couldn't find a decent property in the area. We had to consider other areas in order to find a property we liked and that made us look at different schools. Not a bad thing to do all this research though :-)