Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools! State V Private

Schools! State V Private

Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:48 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Schools! State V Private

Is education so different if you pay for a private school?
I don't mind paying for high school private education but just wanted to know how different is it from a state school?
Does a child who goes to a state school get teased cos they dont go to a private one?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:05 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future
Default Re: Schools! State V Private

I can't speak for Oz because I'm not familiar with the education system but in the UK I think it's utterly gay sending your child to a private school.

There might have been a strong argument for private education 30 years ago when I was doing o'levels as grammar schols and public schools had a monopoly on these exams whereas secondary school pupils took CSEs.

Nowadays under this appalling gov't GCSEs are so easy and getting easier every year that anyone with a modicum of intelligence can pass these exams with flying colours at bog standard comprehensives (as my kids did). Extra curricular activities that private schools offer can be pursued outside of school hours by parents of those kids educated in the state sector.

By attending a state school (where 93% of the school pop'n are educated)the child is also integrating with a range of different people from different backgrounds rather than the sterotypes you get at private schools.

Basically private schools are only relevant if your state school is a real sink school (eg most of the kids don't speak English as their native language), you're a snob or your kid is a weak, namby-pamby type who would get bullied in the state system.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tawkins1
I don't mind paying for high school private education but just wanted to know how different is it from a state school?
Does a child who goes to a state school get teased cos they dont go to a private one?
It all depends on area , just like UK. My children went to Catholic primary in uk, had i been able to get them in to a catholic high 15mile away i would have been happy to send them there. Due to catchment area etc. my local catholic high was so mixed with race i chose to send them to private grammar. Same here good state schools go off catchment area, so again i have opted for private. yes there are differences in most children being pushed harder, but if a child is going to learn they will learn anywere. The good thing over here all children seem to get along what ever school they go to.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Assegai
I can't speak for Oz because I'm not familiar with the education system but in the UK I think it's utterly gay sending your child to a private school.

There might have been a strong argument for private education 30 years ago when I was doing o'levels as grammar schols and public schools had a monopoly on these exams whereas secondary school pupils took CSEs.

Nowadays under this appalling gov't GCSEs are so easy and getting easier every year that anyone with a modicum of intelligence can pass these exams with flying colours at bog standard comprehensives (as my kids did). Extra curricular activities that private schools offer can be pursued outside of school hours by parents of those kids educated in the state sector.

By attending a state school (where 93% of the school pop'n are educated)the child is also integrating with a range of different people from different backgrounds rather than the sterotypes you get at private schools.

Basically private schools are only relevant if your state school is a real sink school (eg most of the kids don't speak English as their native language), you're a snob or your kid is a weak, namby-pamby type who would get bullied in the state system.

I can't take this reply seriously!

Em x
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems

I can't take this reply seriously!

Em x
None of his/her replies should be taken seriously.

At least he/she has moved on from paranoia about homosexuals.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:30 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Serious enough to reply to me though.

Doh!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

Em x
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling

Was that the argument when I gave proof of the link between paedophilia and homosexuality and you lot all got your knickers in a twist because I wiped the floor with you in that debate

Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:03 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by milly123
It all depends on area , just like UK. My children went to Catholic primary in uk, had i been able to get them in to a catholic high 15mile away i would have been happy to send them there. Due to catchment area etc. my local catholic high was so mixed with race i chose to send them to private grammar. Same here good state schools go off catchment area, so again i have opted for private. yes there are differences in most children being pushed harder, but if a child is going to learn they will learn anywere. The good thing over here all children seem to get along what ever school they go to.
Also - far higher propoertion go private in Oz (is it around 30%) so surely they're not as"snooty">?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

In ACT we have almost 50% of parents voting with their feet and putting their kids into private high schools. I think overall it is close to 40% across the board here these days the rates generally across all states are lower though. Anecdotal reports seem to indicate that parents think their kids get more structure, disruptive elements are dealt with better, better pastoral care etc. Now whether this is true or not is a matter for conjecture but parents would not willingly part with $3 - $20K a year if they did not feel that they had to and that the state system offered what they were looking for for their kids.

It may be quite coincidental but the drain out of public education escalated about the time that inclusive education became flavour of the month and children whose needs had been addressed in smaller, more intensive programs, became part of mainstream groups. That may of course, have nothing to do with it and the usual departmental rhetoric of "well parents are snobs" may be the answer.

Re teasing - kids who go to private schools wear uniforms and if anyone is going to be teased it is those with an obvious uniform. State schools can request, but cannot enforce, wearing a uniform and the best many can do is a "colour code" but even that is not enforcable.

Would I put my kids into a govt high school? no probably not.

Last edited by quoll; Apr 5th 2008 at 10:45 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:49 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Private schools in Australia are much morewidely used than in the UK. Here in Brisbane I believe the figure is around 40% of kids go to some kind of private school.

Thats not to say that private schools necessarily give you a better education.

Catholic school are the largest group of private schools and they are focused on providing education within a context of a catholic religious environment (whatever that means) - and try to keep their fees aslow as possible so they are available to all memebrs of the catholic community. (Typically fees are in the $4-$6k a year range).

There are of course some 'elite' schools - which excel academically, but with fees at $12-$15k a year (+uniform, +excursions, +++) you have to figure they'd want to be doing something pretty special - and there is the risk that your child will be rubbing shoulders with some realy nasty spoilt kids and come home with that "Sophie got a BMW for *her 17th birthday - why cant *I* have a car daddy? Its *soooo* unfair" attitude!

Quality of state schools does vary enormously - and some state schools achieve results better than thsoe at some of the more expensive private schools. Like anywhere - you need to look at the schools and work out which is best option for the area you're in! Our local stats school is the best performing state school in Brisbane (and has been top 5 since they started publishing results) - so our girls will be going there and we'll spend the $150K we'll save on stuff that'll be eductaionaly useful like TRAVEL!!!!!

FWIW: Uniforms in state schools here in Brisbane are every bit as strict as those as private schools...

Last edited by DadAgain; Apr 5th 2008 at 10:52 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tawkins1
I don't think your children would be made fun of if they didn't go to private school and (in Sydney) there are some very good state schools. Nevertheless there are a significant proportion of parents who send their children to private school.

Everyone will have their own views on the rights or wrongs or private school but you need to decide for yourself whether a) you can afford it and b) take a look at the school and see whether it feels right for your child.

We have both of our children in private school and based that decision on the quality of the facilities on offer) including choice of subjects, after school activities, approach to pastoral care and approach to discipline and generally the facilities on offer (which I might add are a quantum leap ahead of what I remember from my days at school).

Both the schools are ethnically diverse, but it would also be fair to say that we want our children to mix with children from "good" backgrounds (you will have your own view on what that constitutes). Thats not being elitist or snobby, its just the reality. Of course there are examples of bad behavior and rubbing shoulders with the super rich but (so far) that appears a relatively minor risk. I think its naive to assume this isn't an important reason why people choose private schools.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Private schools in Australia are much morewidely used than in the UK. Here in Brisbane I believe the figure is around 40% of kids go to some kind of private school.

Thats not to say that private schools necessarily give you a better education.

Catholic school are the largest group of private schools and they are focused on providing education within a context of a catholic religious environment (whatever that means) - and try to keep their fees aslow as possible so they are available to all memebrs of the catholic community. (Typically fees are in the $4-$6k a year range).

There are of course some 'elite' schools - which excel academically, but with fees at $12-$15k a year (+uniform, +excursions, +++) you have to figure they'd want to be doing something pretty special - and there is the risk that your child will be rubbing shoulders with some realy nasty spoilt kids and come home with that "Sophie got a BMW for *her 17th birthday - why cant *I* have a car daddy? Its *soooo* unfair" attitude!

Quality of state schools does vary enormously - and some state schools achieve results better than thsoe at some of the more expensive private schools. Like anywhere - you need to look at the schools and work out which is best option for the area you're in! Our local stats school is the best performing state school in Brisbane (and has been top 5 since they started publishing results) - so our girls will be going there and we'll spend the $150K we'll save on stuff that'll be eductaionaly useful like TRAVEL!!!!!

FWIW: Uniforms in state schools here in Brisbane are every bit as strict as those as private schools...

Is that State High you are sending your kids to? I am going through this decision at the mo and the thing that puts me off about private is the BMW scenario you mention above. My friend sends her kids private and she said all the other girls have designer sunglasses, jeans etc which in turn mean her girls pressure her for things. She spends a fortune!

My two have been down for Brisbane Girls Grammar since birth but it's $15k per year fees, plus uniform etc. Plus it's highly academic and my eldest is not really that academic. We live near Kenmore State High which is one of the top five state schools so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my money sending them private. Might be better to spend the money on uni fees or deposit for a house for them later on. Decisions, decisions!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:08 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Something to think about...after paying for your child to attend that high flying private school....they will then go on to uni and be sat next to the state school kids..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.