Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools and Private tuitions...why?

Schools and Private tuitions...why?

Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools and Private tuitions...why?

Originally Posted by NickyC
You almost definitely need the extra tuition for your kids if you want them to get into one of the state selective high schools (the ones that always top the HSC exam results). I'd imagine that it's exactly the same in Vic as it is in NSW.
Um why? My daughter had no extra tuition to get offered a place at a selective school. We turned the place down because we moved to Qld.......and to be honest, we might well have done even if we had remained in NSW, but that's by the by.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:54 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248

Our childs current school assumes that education is the parents responsibility as much as the schools and obviously the child its self.

Is it a British thing to assume that the school is wholly responsible for educating their child or baby sitting it if the poor thing does not want to work too hard.
I went to secondary school in Ireland where it was quite normal to have extra tuition. I had extra maths tuition (for all the good it did me ).

I don't think it's a British thing to assume the school is wholly responsible
My OH and I spend a lot of time helping our kids, and I'm currently looking for a tutor to help my daughter have the best chance at getting into the top stream when she starts secondary school next year. Although my county doesn't do the 11 plus exam, the school does an equivalent exam to stream the children.

Last edited by Kapri; Mar 7th 2010 at 7:56 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why some parents would want their to child take extra tutoring - especially in cases where a parent either does not have the time to coach their children if they're weak in a particular subject (working parents for e.g.), or the teaching standards are lacking and a child is not motivated enough to study on her own.

What I don't understand is why reasonably bright children who can very well study and cope on their own are pushed by parents towards tutors.

What if a child is just not academically inclined? Why push her? Why not find something that really interests her?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

PS: I just love this speech by JK Rowling:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jk_rowling_...f_failure.html

Really worth taking a few minutes to watch and listen to this speech!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:48 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Same here. We've told her to choose what ever she is interested in and really enjoys.

A majority of her classmates say they want to become either dentists or doctors as "they make lots of money". Doesn't matter whether they are interested in the subject or not, the end goal is making a lot of money. A bit sad. My daughter is very sure she doesn't want to become a dentist and "stare into people's mouths all day" lol
(Dentists) And a high suicide rate apparently.

I'm sure somebody will be along to argue the toss though

Originally Posted by neil248
Hi Deadvim

Totally agree with your second to last sentence but we used Kumon Maths for extra tuition for our daughter as it was her weakest subject, she loved it and her maths did improve whether people agree with Kumon or not.

I used to sit there waiting for her and 80% of the other kids were Asian all dropped of in a Mercedes Benz or equivalent. I suppose someone has to work hard and make enough tax money to pay the centrelink Family Tax Benefit 1&2 that the British immigrants seem keen to collect when they get here.

Our childs current school assumes that education is the parents responsibility as much as the schools and obviously the child its self.

Is it a British thing to assume that the school is wholly responsible for educating their child or baby sitting it if the poor thing does not want to work too hard.
Whatever works and is needed I say ... too much education cannot do any harm.

Not sure about the negative impression of British migrants and their reliance on benefits ... in my experience (5 years) I've found most 'anglo' migrants to be more than willing to put the effort in.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:20 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

(Dentists) And a high suicide rate apparently.

My dentist always looks down in the mouth

Dentists, doctors, vets, nurses and farmers aren't any more likely than the general population to try suicide, but they are much more likely to succeed if they do attempt it.
This is due to having the medical knowledge to be successful and access to drugs. In the case of farmers it's access to guns.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

... too much education cannot do any harm.
I still have nightmares studying for the wrong exam, or it's my exam the next day and I haven't even opened my brand new text book (all this especially after I caught up with a lot of my classmates from school recently on FB)

It is amazing how kids turn out though. There was this really quiet girl in my class, don't remember her being particularly bright. Today she teaches medicine in Yale and is on their intern selection committee!

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 8th 2010 at 7:41 am.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

My daughter tells me that almost 90% of the children in her class (Y9) are taking private tuitions in Maths, Science and English. Almost every student of Chinese and Indian origin apparently. She also heard that by the time they're doing their VCEs the figures go up even higher This is very common in India as it is so bl@@dy competitive to get admission in to the top-under grad and graduate schools. So I was frankly taken aback to find it so prevalent here.

I'd understand if this happened in a school where the school's performance was very poor and some children needed additional help to cope. What I'm talking about is a selective school, ranked #1 in Victoria. Apparently, all these children also attended intensive coaching classes just to get admission in to this school

I now think the school rankings here are a bit meaningless as it doesn't really reflect on the teaching standards. If your child is academically inclined then he/she will do well in any school irrespective of its ranking in the league tables.
As you know my daughter is also at the same school. 90% is an exaggeration but I do understand a large number of students do have tutors. One of the reasons for this is that they were coached to get into the school in the first place. Once in they are unable to "stand on their own feet". Let's just say that the school counsellor is one of the busiest staff members at that school thanks in part to "pushy" parents. My daughter was not coached for entry and it is only this year (11) she has talked about getting a tutor for maths - which is still under discussion.

I do not necessarily agee with your comment regarding an academically inclined child doing well in any school. My middle child is in a good private school and in the last two years has effectively come 1st or 2nd in the year overall out of 240 students. Yes, he may be doing "well" but he is not being "stretched" to his true capacity despite being in the "extension" classes. He is a competitive child by nature and there just is no competition.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:11 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Once in they are unable to "stand on their own feet". Let's just say that the school counsellor is one of the busiest staff members at that school thanks in part to "pushy" parents. My daughter was not coached for entry and it is only this year (11) she has talked about getting a tutor for maths - which is still under discussion.

Yes, this is where people have think carefully about tutors. It's one thing to have extra coaching to catch up in weak areas, but if it leaves a child unable to think for themselves or direct their own study then it will not do them any good in the long term.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:38 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
My dentist always looks down in the mouth

Dentists, doctors, vets, nurses and farmers aren't any more likely than the general population to try suicide, but they are much more likely to succeed if they do attempt it.
This is due to having the medical knowledge to be successful and access to drugs. In the case of farmers it's access to guns.
Ah, interesting, never thought of it that way.

I still have nightmares studying for the wrong exam, or it's my exam the next day and I haven't even opened my brand new text book (all this especially after I caught up with a lot of my classmates from school recently on FB)

It is amazing how kids turn out though. There was this really quiet girl in my class, don't remember her being particularly bright. Today she teaches medicine in Yale and is on their intern selection committee!
I have the occasional nighmare about school exams, probably an indication of some deep-seated sense of inadequacy ... or too much cheese before bed.

Education is a big thing of ours ... I knew a guy at school, brightest in the class, went to a top uni and got a degree in Physics ... ended up doing stand-up comedy in Newcastle.

Lesson to be learnt ... do a degree in something useful!

Or become famous for nothing at all and squirrel away the money before the envitable media backlash and descent into Drink and Drugs Hell.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:46 pm
Happy migrant

Or become famous for nothing at all and squirrel away the money before the envitable media backlash and descent into Drink and Drugs Hell.
That was my original career plan, but I became a psych nurse instead
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:21 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Kapri
That was my original career plan, but I became a psych nurse instead
Worked for Jo Brand in reverse ... I deal with enough head cases to qualify ...
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:24 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

My in-laws in Malaysia place enormous emphasis on education. During my visits there it was nothing unusual to see the pre-secondary school relatives studying into the early hours. It's become an eduction bubble really. What it means is the kids are forced to put enormous effort into their studies just to keep up with the class average. I admire their hard work ethic but preparing for adulthood is about so much more than just academic achievement.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

dhama is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes he may be right. When i observed in brisbane maximum i found asian students who go for a extra coaching (North shore coaching center). Hardly we find a student form other orgin

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Are you taken aback to discover that the students receiving private tuition are overwhelmingly Chinese and Indian?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lesson to be learnt ... do a degree in something useful!
You reckon there's such a thing as a degree in common sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.