Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schooling/teaching standards in Perth

schooling/teaching standards in Perth

Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: schooling/teaching standards in Perth

Here is an interesting article from The Age Newspaper regarding methods of teaching in the U.K. and U.S.A. and how Australia could be heading that way.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/wer...0511-2d1k.html

I can't speak for schools in W.A. but as Vash mentioned earlier Australia comes ahead of the U.K. in world education testing. I know quite a few Brits who have arrived recently who have their children at our local state and Catholic schools and each and every one of them is very happy with the education their children are receiving.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
In saying that you would rule out choices on anything other than academic results - sporting etc does not rate for you - does that mean that if your child was a brilliant sports person you wouldn't send them to the AIS or was a fantastic ballerina, you wouldn't send them to the Australian Ballet School?

Well there are degrees of brilliance but no, probably not. I would have to take advice from experts but when you think about it, how many kids does this affect? 0.1%? I reckon you'd be very lucky to get 1 kid in a school of 1000 who makes it professionally so probably 0.1% is a fairly good, if optimistic, figure.

I can tell you something, surprisingly many parents - especially in Australia - think that their child is a sporting genius. In reality they aren't. They're very good but they are not going to make it professionally.

Given that, what should a parent do? Only one answer as far as I'm concerned - they should focus on the academic or vocational in order to maximise their choices at university or TAFE.

So back to the point, on statistics alone, academic hould be the main concern in terms of education - everything else is icing on the cake
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Samuel Spaniel;6550799]
Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Which brings me back to thie ssue in hand - that is, for me, none of the schools that you've mentioned are worth a look at. If I was in your position I'd take the plunge and move to the catchment of a really good school - Shenton, Churchlands, Rossmoyne etc BUT again this is if I was in your position as me and with my children! (if that makes sense)

QUOTE]

That’s all very well, but when you cant buy a house in any of these areas for under $900K (I know I’ve checked), you have to look at what is on offer and make the best choices for your kids.
You're looking in the wrong place then.

First page I checked: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1215581831

Doubleview - Churchlands catchment.

The hard question is whether people are prepared to sacrifice their 4 x 2 with pool and spa in Ocean Reef to move to a less impressive house for the sake of their kid's education.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by worzel

It is a shame none of those good schools are up in this part of Perth.

They should be.

This is a debate that should be going on in education right now. There are some difficult questions that the department should answer...

e.g. is it resources? better teachers? better discipline? better leadership? better parents? is it the fact that in at least 3 of the top performing schools there is a high proportion of Asian kids?

Debates like these tend to get stifled by those with a lot to lose.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

[QUOTE=NKSK version 2;6550768]Very good points. Ultimately it does come down to what you personally feel is best for your particular child.

Which brings me back to thie ssue in hand - that is, for me, none of the schools that you've mentioned are worth a look at. If I was in your position I'd take the plunge and move to the catchment of a really good school - Shenton, Churchlands, Rossmoyne etc BUT again this is if I was in your position as me and with my children! (if that makes sense)

QUOTE]

What about around Duncraig and Carine area are they up to there standards ?
Thanks Paul
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
Here is an interesting article from The Age Newspaper regarding methods of teaching in the U.K. and U.S.A. and how Australia could be heading that way.

I can't speak for schools in W.A. but as Vash mentioned earlier Australia comes ahead of the U.K. in world education testing. I know quite a few Brits who have arrived recently who have their children at our local state and Catholic schools and each and every one of them is very happy with the education their children are receiving.
There have recently been questions raised about the validity of PISA and their testing methods. I'll try and dig out the paper.

The PISA tests are the only results that Australians cling onto to justify their system. Anecdotally I think that there's a mismatch between these results and what you see and read in everyday life.

Whilst the Brits in my view do far too much testing, the Australians don't want the public to be aware of the inconsistencies in their systems.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by melbournegirl

Here it is...(very dry - I just read the absract)

It focuses more on the problems of Britain but questions about take-up rate should mean that investing so much faith in PISA to justify th status quo is dangerous.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PISA.pdf (155.2 KB, 796 views)
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Paul & June;6550988]
Very good points. Ultimately it does come down to what you personally feel is best for your particular child.

QUOTE]

What about around Duncraig and Carine area are they up to there standards ?
Thanks Paul
Nope.
Carine about average (34% of its students equivalent to the top 33% in the state).
Duncraig below average (29% of its students equivalent to the top 33% in the state)
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:59 am
The Doctors Assistant

Samuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really nice

[QUOTE=NKSK version 2;6550964]
Originally Posted by Samuel Spaniel

You're looking in the wrong place then.

First page I checked: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1215581831

Doubleview - Churchlands catchment.

The hard question is whether people are prepared to sacrifice their 4 x 2 with pool and spa in Ocean Reef to move to a less impressive house for the sake of their kid's education.

When you have three kids then yes this is just as big an issue.
Not everyone can afford to move to the “right” area.

That house isn’t big enough to swing a cat!!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Samuel Spaniel;6551033]

When you have three kids then yes this is just as big an issue.
Not everyone can afford to move to the “right” area.

That house isn’t big enough to swing a cat!!
What about this?
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1215583992
Too old?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Or this:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1215584198

Don't want to live south of the river?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Or this:

Too far from the beach?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Or this:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1215584411

Too.............sorry - run out of excuses.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:51 am
The Doctors Assistant

Samuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really nice

Or this:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1215584411

Too.............sorry - run out of excuses.

Or this:

Don't want to live south of the river?

You really have a bee in your bonnet don’t you.

I understand that YOU have issues with the schooling here in Perth, but maybe thats because you are so focused on results and academic goals, which if that works for you and your kids then great.
However I want my kids to enjoy school and do their best, I don’t want them pushed and pushed with academic goals being their only focus.

I have friends who have kids at Woodvale, Ocean Reef and Duncraig and they are very happy with these schools and the results their kids are getting. So I will be looking at these schools and getting opinions from parents who actually HAVE kids at these schools and not from someone who can’t see passed results and percentages!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Samuel Spaniel
You really have a bee in your bonnet don’t you.

I understand that YOU have issues with the schooling here in Perth, but maybe thats because you are so focused on results and academic goals, which if that works for you and your kids then great.
However I want my kids to enjoy school and do their best, I don’t want them pushed and pushed with academic goals being their only focus.

I have friends who have kids at Woodvale, Ocean Reef and Duncraig and they are very happy with these schools and the results their kids are getting. So I will be looking at these schools and getting opinions from parents who actually HAVE kids at these schools and not from someone who can’t see passed results and percentages!

Certainly do have a bee in my bonnet.

Look, ultimately all parents have to make decisions that are best for their kids. I know that and I respect that.

But trying to suggest that these schools are "good" without qualifying - or even better, quantifying - what this means does nobody any favours and is actually not at all helpful to newly arrived migrants (and may cause major and expensive problems).

With regard to your earlier post, you seemed to suggest that you would move if the price was right - which is slightly disingenuous given that the price certainly is right.

This may or may not be true for you but some parents con themselves that they are giving their kids the best education that they possibly can but in reality they are unwilling to give up their current lifestyle - be it house, location or money - when it comes to the crunch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.