Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schooling/teaching standards in Perth

schooling/teaching standards in Perth

Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schooling/teaching standards in Perth

Originally Posted by janeyrich
Also, may I add, we actually moved into the Woodvale catchment area as this is the only way you can get into the school as they have a waiting list as long as their arm for kids wanting to get in but arent in the catchment area because their reputation is suppossedly so good! The point I was trying to make is that this is a school parents really would love their kids to get into NOR but from my experience its a shocker!
Then change schools if you're not happy - don't base your opinion of the whole of Perth on one state school in an average suburb.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

Apologies for butting in, but can you register your child at school when you are still in the UK, or do you have to be in OZ with an address.

I'm shocked to read that the schools are poor over there. I was led to believe that most of all the schools were very good.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, may I add, we actually moved into the Woodvale catchment area as this is the only way you can get into the school as they have a waiting list as long as their arm for kids wanting to get in but arent in the catchment area because their reputation is suppossedly so good! The point I was trying to make is that this is a school parents really would love their kids to get into NOR but from my experience its a shocker!
I disagree about Woodvale's excellence.

From an academic standpoint it does not do well at all.

If you put all the kids in WA at the end of Y12 into groups - top third, middle third, bottom third, each group would have 33%.

Therefore if a school is 'average' - i.e. in line with the state - it should have a third of its students gaining marks equivalent to the top third of students in the state.

Shenton College (state) had 43% of its students equivalent to the 33% state students' marks.
Woodvale had just 24%...in ther words it was significantly below the state average for all schools.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul & June
Apologies for butting in, but can you register your child at school when you are still in the UK, or do you have to be in OZ with an address.

I'm shocked to read that the schools are poor over there. I was led to believe that most of all the schools were very good.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Hi Paul and June - I'm not sure about whether you can register your kids before you get here or not, but the following three websites should help you a little. They are the WA State School website, Catholic Education in WA and WA Indrpendent Schools. Maybe zap an email off to each of them asking any questions you have.

http://www2.eddept.wa.edu.au/schoolprofile/home.do

http://web1.ceo.wa.edu.au/school_search.asp

https://www.ais.wa.edu.au/search-school/
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Never a truer word......
Most ozzies that work in mines have a degree these days, the ones washing the dishes are usually pommy immigrants making the most of their brilliant british education.

.....just kidding guys.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

It could depend on what school they got to. Mine go to Kinross in Perth. The primary school is great, but the senior school is absolutey useless. Some may disagree or say change their school. Well my only alternative is Wanneroo high i say no more.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:54 am
Just Joined

janeyrich has a spectacular aura aboutjaneyrich has a spectacular aura aboutjaneyrich has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kim67
Then change schools if you're not happy - don't base your opinion of the whole of Perth on one state school in an average suburb.
Would it I could, but the alternatives are just as crap!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would it I could, but the alternatives are just as crap!
What are the alternatives? If you can't afford to put them into a good private school, have you looked at scolarships at private schools. There are some really nice Catholic high schools that are not that expensive. John XXIII to name just one - it's co-ed, great facilities, great reputation.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

John XXIII to name just one - it's co-ed, great facilities, great reputation.
But if you don't get a scholarship it has a massive waiting list.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I was thinking earlier today that there is great irony in that if I trusted the schools more (as I would be inclined to in the UK), I'd be less involved in my kids' education.

Because of the parlous state of education here, I'm so involved -esp with Maths and English - that I pretty much know exactly where they are in terms of standards. I know what they can and can't do and how they are progressing in relation to similar kids in the UK and Australia.

I'd take a much greater back seat role in the UK.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:14 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: schooling/teaching standards in Perth

Originally Posted by Paul & June
I'm shocked to read that the schools are poor over there.
They're not. Like the UK, a small number of schools are poor. The rest are good or very good.

I was led to believe that most of all the schools were very good.
I wouldn't say most are very good, but most are at the very least good. Most are definitely not "poor".

And for those Poms who believe that "British is best", a quick dose of reality:

School standards have stalled, with one in five 11-year-olds unable to read, write and add up properly, Ofsted warned yesterday.

As many as 20% of children leave primary school functionally illiterate, Christine Gilbert, the chief inspector of schools, said as she unveiled reforms to the inspection process designed to intensify pressure on the lowest-performing and "coasting" schools which are failing to improve.
Source.

A study undertaken in 2006 showed that...

...over a third of adults of working age in the UK do not have a basic school-leaving qualification, five million adults have no qualifications at all, one in six adults lack the literacy skills expected of an 11-year-old, and half do not have the necessary levels of functional numeracy.
Source.

Australia consistently ranks high in the OECD education tables (significantly above the UK) so we must be doing something right.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 5th 2008 at 10:18 am.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: schooling/teaching standards in Perth

Most ozzies that work in mines have a degree these days, the ones washing the dishes are usually pommy immigrants making the most of their brilliant british education.

.....just kidding guys.
I LOLed because it's probably true.

Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Morko is on a distinguished road

What are the alternatives? If you can't afford to put them into a good private school, have you looked at scolarships at private schools. There are some really nice Catholic high schools that are not that expensive. John XXIII to name just one - it's co-ed, great facilities, great reputation.
What exactly do you call "not that expensive"? Can you tell facts?

Cheers,

Morko
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They're not. Like the UK, a small number of schools are poor. The rest are good or very good.

I wouldn't say most are very good, but most are at the very least good. Most are definitely not "poor".

And for those Poms who believe that "British is best", a quick dose of reality:

School standards have stalled, with one in five 11-year-olds unable to read, write and add up properly, Ofsted warned yesterday.

As many as 20% of children leave primary school functionally illiterate, Christine Gilbert, the chief inspector of schools, said as she unveiled reforms to the inspection process designed to intensify pressure on the lowest-performing and "coasting" schools which are failing to improve.
Source.

A study undertaken in 2006 showed that...

...over a third of adults of working age in the UK do not have a basic school-leaving qualification, five million adults have no qualifications at all, one in six adults lack the literacy skills expected of an 11-year-old, and half do not have the necessary levels of functional numeracy.
I bet you can't find figures like that for Australia.

Nobody in Australia has a clue as to whether the country's kids are achieving their potential or not. I assume you know why but I'll say it anyhow...

Testing rarely happens on a national scale, data is not widely avaliable nor is it comparable and continued obfustication by the state governments and the teacher unions make it indecipherable anyhow.

People involved in Australian education systems don't like accountability.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Morko
What exactly do you call "not that expensive"? Can you tell facts?

Cheers,

Morko
Standard Catholic Primary schooling in Australia ranges from about $2,000 for one child to under $4,000 for three or more children from the same family attending the school.

An expensive Catholic College such as John XXIII costs $3,000-$4,000 per child for primary $5,000-$5,500 per year for Secondary. That's about a third of what you would pay at most "private" schools (such as Guildford Grammar or Perth College).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.