School Holidays

Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:10 am
Just Joined

edd1eb7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question School Holidays

Hi All,

What do you all do with your kids during the school holdidays?

We have two young children, Girl aged 8 and boy aged 3.
When we move to Australia, we will both have to work - so I'm really looking to see what options we have during the school holidays.

In the Uk, we are fortunate enough to have the Grandparents to look after them while we are at work.

We will be looking to move to the Melbourne or surronding area.

Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Holidays

Hi Eddie, there are vacation care programmes set up, also known as out-of-school care. If your visa entitles you to Centrelink payments, there are rebates and also some amount gets refunded via the tax system.

Here in WA, the opening hours vary a bit, somewhere between 0700 and 0800, usually closing 1730-1800.

How you decide on a service depends on many things:
  • where you live or work and getting to the service for the opening and closing times
  • their activities - some centres are fairly basic in their facilities, eg often community or church halls, so there's a basic kitchen, toilets and outdoors can vary from a lovely park setting, a large garden with playground equipment, or just a basketball court. If you centre just has the latter for outdoor space, then the excursion programme becomes very important. Some centres have very sporty activities, others more arts & crafts. My kids really enjoyed the excursions, to places like the cinema, bushwalking, cooking days, the Perth Royal Show, Kings Park, museum, etc, etc.
  • they might want to go to the same vacation care centre as their friends
  • where you kids go to school - some of the before-/after-school care services that serve your school also offer a vacation care service.
Some parents take it in turns to have a week's leave during the long summer holidays. A lot of companies here in Perth actually close down for 2 -3 weeks over summer, and you have to take leave whether you want to or not.

Some families take it in turns to look after other kids. I find that having 4 kids at home is no more trouble than having just my 2, as they're happy to play together. Going out with 4 kids - that's another story (for those of us not used to it).
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:35 am
Just Joined

edd1eb7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Holidays

Thanks for the feedback, Bitzenpces.
Much appreciated

I think me kids would love the excursions. Sounds, fantastic.