School Fees

Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:34 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question School Fees

Hi,

Back in UK children below 16 years can attend public schools free of cost/fees.

Why schools in Australia charge fees?This is the fact I noticed after immigration that schools are very expensive and they charge fees...

Please cooment

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of
Default Re: School Fees

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Why schools in Australia charge fees?This is the fact I noticed after immigration that schools are very expensive and they charge fees...

Please cooment

Thanks
Hi,
Sorry but public schools in Australia are equivalent to private schools in uk where school fees apply. State schools in australia are equivalent to public schools in uk where no school fees apply.Public school fees here varies from school to school and area etc but is still alot cheaper than enroling your children in private school in the uk.It gets alot more expensive (but still reasonable) when your child reaches high school age. Our daughter starts public school here after the school hols and it is alot more affordable than uk(which we'd never be able to afford in the uk) and in our opinion a must as the experience we've had of State schools in oz is not good.Having to enrol our daughter in public school has been of the utmost importance.
I have numerous friends who have all removed their children from State Schools and now attend Public schools in Oz.

Allyson
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazza49
Hi,
Sorry but public schools in Australia are equivalent to private schools in uk where school fees apply. State schools in australia are equivalent to public schools in uk where no school fees apply.Public school fees here varies from school to school and area etc but is still alot cheaper than enroling your children in private school in the uk.It gets alot more expensive (but still reasonable) when your child reaches high school age. Our daughter starts public school here after the school hols and it is alot more affordable than uk(which we'd never be able to afford in the uk) and in our opinion a must as the experience we've had of State schools in oz is not good.Having to enrol our daughter in public school has been of the utmost importance.
I have numerous friends who have all removed their children from State Schools and now attend Public schools in Oz.

Allyson
Private schools in the UK are also known as public schools...they are fee paying.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Private schools in the UK are also known as public schools...they are fee paying.
Accept my apologies for my ignorance but not from where i'm from

Allyson
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Government School is equivalent to our council schools
Independant - is equivalent to our private schools

Even with Government schools you do have to pay for books, stationery, etc, You then have your fees they can vary from $80 pa - $1000 pa even more with some schools. However, some of these are classed as voluntary contributions and although they don't make a point of telling you this it is illegal for them to force you to pay.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Allyson
JG's right as I understand it.

Public school in UK = private/indepedent school Aus (fee paying)
Private school UK = state school Aus (paid via taxes)

Although I realise there are different terms all over the place to confuse the matter so it may be diff in your neck of the woods.

Out of interest, what did you find wrong with the state schools? I am interested as my eldest daughter goes to high school next year and I am bit concerned about sending her state but can't really afford the $15k pa fees for private.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Please cooment

Thanks
Because this is Australia, not the UK, and things are run differently here.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:14 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody

Taxes plus incidentals that have to be paid ie books, uniforms, school excursion fees etc. Not to mention extra contributions from fetes, spelling B's, raffles etc, mostly paid for by parents.

Out of interest, what did you find wrong with the state schools? I am interested as my eldest daughter goes to high school next year and I am bit concerned about sending her state but can't really afford the $15k pa fees for private.
It's only Smurtaza, that's all!.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Taxes plus incidentals that have to be paid ie books, uniforms, school excursion fees etc. Not to mention extra contributions from fetes, spelling B's, raffles etc, mostly paid for by parents.
Yes indeed - the constant demands for $ can get a little wearing. I have heard it's even worse in high school!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Although I realise there are different terms all over the place to confuse the matter so it may be diff in your neck of the woods.

Hi,
I can only speak for myself and some friends of mine, but I have found that the State school my daughter went to was very underfunded and the lack of communication, her teachers attitude was appauling, they had no idea of how to teach or lead by example.My daughter was in a mixed class of year1 and year2 with a total in excess of 60 pupilsas you can imagine it was a disaster.I spoke to the teacher several times but i might of well been speaking to a brick wall. The quality of all my daughters education suffered and I saw a dramatic decline in the time she was at this school, so we had to bite the bullet and place her in a public school.Its not going to be easy financially and sacrifices will have to be made but I personally think these sacrifices are a must, for us anyway.

Allyson
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Please cooment

Thanks
Public schools (private) aren't free in the UK. State schools are free (at the point of delivery).

Private schools aren't free in Oz, they're fee paying. State schools aren't free in Oz either, consumables are charged (text books, pencils, work books etc), in my experience about $200 per year per child.

Hope this clarifies.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: School Fees

Hi,

Why schools in Australia charge fees?
Because unlike certain countries I could mention, Australian society isn't built on a "hand-outs" culture, under which people are encouraged to rely on the government for everything, and spend most of their time blagging vast sums of taxpayers' money for no good reason.

This is the fact I noticed after immigration that schools are very expensive and they charge fees...

Please cooment

Thanks
They are not "very expensive"; Australia's public schools are dirt cheap:

The average cost of private school fees is $14,200 a year.

At Sydney's top schools, including Sydney Grammar and The Scots College, annual fees have passed $20,000. Catholic and independent schools are not cheap, either, with fees as high as $5000 annually.

Parents of children at public schools typically pay less than $300 in fees each year.
Source.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: School Fees

Hi,

Allyson
State schools in Australia are known as "public schools". "State" and "public" = same entity. Private schools in Australia are known as "private schools", not "public schools".

So you are not moving your child from a state school to a public school; you are moving your child from a public school to a private school.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Allyson
No, Jerseygirl is right - some of the upper echelon UK private schools are also referred to as Public Schools - Like Eton, Harrow, Gordonstone etc.

S
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Because unlike certain countries I could mention, Australian society isn't built on a "hand-outs" culture, under which people are encouraged to rely on the government for everything, and spend most of their time blagging vast sums of taxpayers' money for no good reason.
Oh come on, I agree UK has a welfare/hand out culture but I still think it's wrong for parents to constantly be hit up for contributions by the school like they are here. Library fund, "voluntary" contributions, P&C fund, buildings fund, not forgetting uniforms (which at most schools you have to buy their branded overpriced stuff) and the cost of all the consumables (tissues, reams of paper as well as pens, pencils etc).

Virtually every single thing kids use while they are at school, including the use of the bulidings so it seems, comes out of the parents pockets.

Surely we pay taxes to ensure education for all? Personally I would rather pay an extra 1% tax so that a decent education was provided across the board than the current two tier, user pays system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.