Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School donations

School donations

Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School donations

Originally Posted by mindblower
Damned cheek, what do we pay taxes for exactly ?
Hell, who else is going to pay for all those police sitting in 4WDs at the bottom of hills *protecting us* from crime!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:45 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
Exactly. My main gripe is that surely this should already be covered by our taxes. Isn't that what they are for? And if it isn't why isn't it? Shouldn't the schools be lobbying the relevant MPs for more $$$?

I mean we are talking about maintenance of school buildings for god's sake! I would have thought one of the fundamental purposes of tax is for a decent education for all, not just those who can afford it, but I seem to be in the minority in thinking this here.

Sorry for going on like a broken record, but I feel really passionately about it.
Ultimatley we pay twice...once in taxes to support state schools and then again in school fees because he doesn't go to a state school. Not complaining as it's our choice to do it...but then to ask for a 'donation' on top of that...well...it's just rude
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Ultimatley we pay twice...once in taxes to support state schools and then again in school fees because he doesn't go to a state school. Not complaining as it's our choice to do it...but then to ask for a 'donation' on top of that...well...it's just rude
Too right and a huge amount of parents here feel they 'have' to send their kids private too because they don't have faith in the state system.

I personally feel if they invested money in state schooling and improved them then the pressure on parents to send kids private would ease off saving parents lots of money and everyone gets a good education. Win win.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:06 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
Too right and a huge amount of parents here feel they 'have' to send their kids private too because they don't have faith in the state system.

I personally feel if they invested money in state schooling and improved them then the pressure on parents to send kids private would ease off saving parents lots of money and everyone gets a good education. Win win.
Maybe they should have invested that $600,000 Anna's just used on her trip to Cairns in schools that would have helped.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:28 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Maybe they should have invested that $600,000 Anna's just used on her trip to Cairns in schools that would have helped.
But that would be a logical and sensible thing to do completely against govt ideals and policy